Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
02 lightning/03 cobruh
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically for the Whipple's 2.3. I have some questions if anyone knows the answers to. I read that sheet metal plenums are noisier ( a good thing to me) but why is that? What's a good gauge if you were to have one made? I'd assume aluminum would be a better choice over ss?
I can't go back to work yet cause I've got a couple broken toes, and I'm fine but safety steve won't let me walk around in flip flops at work, so I've been toying around with the possibility of making a sheet metal plenum for my Whipple. What exactly makes more power with the monster inlet vs the stock one, is it just volume?

Oh and just a FYI, you really can blow the welds on the intake. I love saying that now. Heres my procharger lid from my cobra when it was a f1a. Blew along the seam at only 30psi. One of the things the Cobra guys said was it didn't flow enough and I wanted to make my piping forward facing anyway for a cleaner look so I decided to chop it up and added a couple inches of volume and made the TB forward facing and rewelded it up. I have absolutely no idea if I did a good thing or a bad thing but I guess I'll find out when my new motor goes back in. I know absolutely nothing about fluid dynamics or if that's even the right term.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Bumper
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Grille
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Gas Automotive exterior
Wood Sky Gas Art Automotive tire
hi up
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part Wood Tool
Hood Sleeve Wood Grey Automotive tire
Wood Tints and shades Automotive exterior Rectangle Font

Anyway if anyone knows about the inlets for the Whipple's or could give me dimensions of a monster inlet, id appreciate it. And id like to ask a few more questions as well. Idk if I feel brave enough to chop up my Whipple inlet yet without more info. Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
First off you wont blow any welds on the inlet of a supercharger intake, there is no boost in the inlet.

Secondly as the supplier of the original 3.4 Monster inlet I can tell you its alot more work then you think it is. You have to have two flanges made, one for the throttle body and one for the supercharger and you have to decide if your going to O ring them for sealing or use silicone to seal. We used a GT500 O ring for our throttle body flange and silicone for the supercharger side.

Then you have to make it all fit with the bypass taken into consideration. Bypass height and keeping the bypass round while welding, hence why a fixture is needed. The fixture should be made so that the flanges are at the right position, held firmly in place so you can cut fit and weld the tubing and bypass. The bypass should also be fixed in place when welding.

My old fabricator, who is no longer in business did an amazing job of designing and making our idea come to life. I did sell the fixtures to someone years ago but the resulting product was not of the same quality as ours were. Not sure who has the fixtures now.

For the 2.9 and the 3.4 I would only do a larger inlet if I were race only application, the 2.3 really does not need a bigger inlet.

JJ

·
Registered
824 Posts
I would copy the rarefab design. He cuts the stock piece and adds more back in for additional volume.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: G20

·
Registered
02 lightning/03 cobruh
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off you wont blow any welds on the inlet of a supercharger intake, there is no boost in the inlet.

Secondly as the supplier of the original 3.4 Monster inlet I can tell you its alot more work then you think it is. You have to have two flanges made, one for the throttle body and one for the supercharger and you have to decide if your going to O ring them for sealing or use silicone to seal. We used a GT500 O ring for our throttle body flange and silicone for the supercharger side.

Then you have to make it all fit with the bypass taken into consideration. Bypass height and keeping the bypass round while welding, hence why a fixture is needed. The fixture should be made so that the flanges are at the right position, held firmly in place so you can cut fit and weld the tubing and bypass. The bypass should also be fixed in place when welding.

My old fabricator, who is no longer in business did an amazing job of designing and making our idea come to life. I did sell the fixtures to someone years ago but the resulting product was not of the same quality as ours were. Not sure who has the fixtures now.

For the 2.9 and the 3.4 I would only do a larger inlet if I were race only application, the 2.3 really does not need a bigger inlet.

JJ
I didn't think It would on the Whipple inlet, I was just sharing what happened to my procharger lid on my cobra. It just blew out on a pull on the Dyno lol a few years ago. I was surprised especially cause the welds looked solid to me.

I know it would be a lot of work, and I actually used to be a fabricator myself. Im not a machinist though so I already knew the flanges would have been the hard part for me. If I was going to do this I would chop up the Whipple one.
I wish I could buy one of yours actually, but I know they are basically unobtainium.

I thought that the 2.3 benefited from a larger inlet? I must have gotten it mixed up with a 2.9. I gotta do more reading.
What about the sheet metal part? I read that sheet metal plenums make it more noisy, do you know if it's because the cast aluminum keeps noise in or something?

I appreciate the knowledge, just thinking out loud is all. I have a little torchmate 4x4 and like messing around sometimes.

·
Registered
02 lightning/03 cobruh
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would copy the rarefab design. He cuts the stock piece and adds more back in for additional volume.

I only heard of JJs one, I didn't know there were other ones made. Thanks imma look it up. Do you know if he keeps the back part on the firewall the same and does he just add volume after the throttle body?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Adds volume to the stock cast aluminum plenum. Basically gets cut in middle and deepened. Probably can find some pics on here of one.

Reactions: G20

·
Registered
02 lightning/03 cobruh
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Adds volume to the stock cast aluminum plenum. Basically gets cut in middle and deepened. Probably can find some pics on here of one.

Ahh ok I just found some. Interesting. Thanks now I got a better idea now. Gonna do some reading.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,090 Posts
I suspect the sheet metal plenums make more noise because of the much larger internal volume. Acts like an echo chamber. I know when I put a JLP plenum on my stock Eaton, it made a lot more noise. Now, with a MP, Accubab TB, C & L elbow, and big K & N filter, it really talks to me.

I know it's not a Whipple, but the OP did ask why they are louder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts