Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the middle of installing spindles, cam bolts, and clunk washers. While researching the various How-Tos and other install tips, I noticed that the order in which people install the washer and cam on the bolt varies quite a bit. I plan on calling Belltech in the morning to confirm their install order, but I'm curious why different brands with essentially the same design require different placement of the washers. I assumed the washers would be against the bolt head, and nut, but it appears the cam needs to me against the bolt head and nut. Can anyone chime in? Or does it really not matter?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, I did check yours out, and it appears that you installed your washers adjacent to the bolt head and nut - like I did. However, after searching more images online and videos on Youtube, it looks like a lot of people put their cams adjacent to the bolt head and nut. What brand are your cam bolts (not sure if it matters)?

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
Think they were Raybestos. My alignment shop actually said he got much better alignment than the Lightning spec sheet called for so I'm assuming I did it correctly? LOL. He's aligned it a couple times as I have changed things on the front end, most recently did it two months ago. Steers great.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Clunk washer install

Think they were Raybestos. My alignment shop actually said he got much better alignment than the Lightning spec sheet called for so I'm assuming I did it correctly? LOL. He's aligned it a couple times as I have changed things on the front end, most recently did it two months ago. Steers great.
Hello Old Timer. While my Lightning is put away for the winter I am planning a few things for the spring and installing clunk washers and an alignment is one of them. Since you have a shop that has done yours could you tell me who they are and did you have to buy the washers and give them to them or could they get them.

I installed the 2" drop Belltech spindles a few years back and have been putting up with the clunk too long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts