Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading where just about everyone with a boosted motor that has switched to E85 is able to make as much power or more than they did with C16.
I know 30-40% more fuel is needed with E85. Bigger injectors, fuel lines and pumps would be in order.
Pros of E85
less than $4 a gallon
cooler intake charge temps
Anyone know the Cons of E85

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
E85 is also very inconsistent. If you can adjust your tune and watch your gauges them your fine. If you can get it its a nice mod for a weekend truck.

·
Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
E85 is considered to be equivalent to 105 octane. Id personally stick with C16 for track use and maybe switch to E85 for the street.
I know the octane numbers of both fuels. But it seems that the E85 preforms as good as C16 according to everything I've red on Yellowbullet and other sites.
I wonder if any High HP lightnings are using it for track use.
Research Octane Number | | Motor Octane Number | | R+M/2
ethanol...........118....................96.......................107
regular gas .......92....................82........................87
E85 (summer)...113....................94.......................104
C16.................119.................117........................118

·
Administrator
18,594 Posts
The formulation for C16 makes it quite unique, and about perfect for our supercharged, high boost, high charge temp setups. The cooling effect of E85 might make it outperform it's MON. But I would not switch for the strip. For street use? Absolutely!

Meth injection on top of the C16 could mean the best of both worlds. But I would spray post blower.

Jim

·
Administrator
18,594 Posts

·
Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw it over the weekend. But I don't need to argue with the local idiots. If someone they "know" has done something, it has to be the best.:p

Jim
lol thats how it seems on that part of the forum.

·
The GOLD RUSH!
2,559 Posts
E85 is equivalent to roughly 107 octane. In places like CA you will see regular blends at about 110 on in other colder places it will be slightly lower. What makes E85 nice isn't the octane rating its the cooling properties of the alcohol. It allows you to run a more razor edge tune safely. Little to no detonation allows you to raise the timing and boost levels with the ability to lean out your vehicle to roughly 12.5 AFR.

No it wont eat through your stock fuel system.

No you don't need to upgrade our Stock fuel system if you are running a 6lber or lower even on E85.

And no I have never heard of someone blowing up their car because of E85. Its a lot more effective and safer than running meth injection thats for damn sure. Your car will run so different from E85-E70 that there is NO WAY that you wouldn't notice as soon as you started it. Then again, what idiot owns a forced induction vehicle with out an AFR gauge.. they deserve to blow their cars up, you can just as easy get a bad batch of regular octane as you would anything else.

People who say E85 is inconsistent are the same people who haven't used it and talk out of their ass after something they have heard. I have been using E85 since it was available to the public seeing as Sacramento was one of the first places it was available period. Only thing I have ever needed to do is keep an eye on injector residue back when I was getting my E85 from a particular station but now the station I use after I have moved has never given me much of an issue.

In CA they will tell you if they are switching from E85 to E70 winter blend by posting signs on the pumps about a month prior. Where I live we have E85 year around. The only time you generally should test your E85 is when you change stations or when fall rolls around for those in colder climates.

We've used it in daily driven to 8 second strip and street cars, imports to domestic, even on the track considering I used it in my turbo'd RX8 and my NSX. I would agree that E85 is NOT a 100% replacement for C16 HOWEVER it is pretty close for MOST applications using forced induction. At $3 a gallon or at one point $1 and some change compared to C16 which has always been in the $12-16 range its a HUGE difference if you want a car that can always be on kill mode, on the track or at home. I'm with everyone else thus far about keeping the C16 if you want to get every drop out of your setup compared to E85 however I prefer E85 because I can run it on the street and that extra tenth or so lost wont bother me too much.

IF you want something that will blow C16 out of the water there is E98. Back when it was still legal we use to get E100 by the barrel. OF course this requires another fuel system upgrade over E85 but apart from Aero fuel which we were using in my Talon and Pats Evo, you wont get anything within reason unless you are mixing nitrometh and at nearly $20-30 a gallon high octane aero fuel gets old quick not to mention it will eat through everything you have.

Yeah I know its a rant but its all topics that come up in every E85 thread eventually, especially in a community that's not as familiar with it as others. I hoped more would give it a try, force these tuners into learning it better and then we can all see just how crazy this stuff can be. Our community and mod motors in general tend to make great power with regular pump gas so most tuners aren't as comfortable with E85 as they should be and even when you see badass tunes, the gap between these tuners E85 and C16 tunes are way off. Yes you will make more power with C16 but not to the degree these tuners show... Habit will force you from upping the timng 5+ degrees and running a full point lean on the afrs, even turning the boost up another 4+lbs but E85 can handle it. There is a reason other familiar communities running E85 make damn near 1000+whp running it. It took time but they put forth the effort since those in the community were open minded and more willing. Every time I hear a tuner say "Yeah E85 is no different, just gotta increase the fuel by 30%.." as if they read it out of a magazine makes me wanna pull my hair out. It takes a LOT more than that to take advantage of this fuel. Just turning up the boost and adding fuel wont do it. As a tuner myself it kinda sucks to see, but I'm no mod tuner (yet) so I let it be..

·
Administrator
18,594 Posts
lol thats how it seems on that part of the forum.
The guys over there are comparing motors that are a lot more boost friendly and tolerate more timing than our 2 valve motors. We have to work around these limitations.:bigtu

If E85 was available around here, I would most likely run it on the street. But detuned for pump gas, I still make rediculous power. Way more than good DRs can hook. So there is little need. C16 on track days ALWAYS for me.

Jim

·
The GOLD RUSH!
2,559 Posts
Let me get this straight... You have never even used E85 and you are making all this fuss about it? lol

Why bother debating with you about it or even making comments about it. You like C16 because its what you know. That is about where your argument ends. Tell those guys to kick rocks and its your decision. With that being said your 2cents on the subject due to your experience might not even be worth that much... Ignorance is bliss.

·
The GOLD RUSH!
2,559 Posts
If neither the MON nor the RON of E85 are as high as the C16 I dont see how you can run more timing with a lot of boost with the E85.
This is worse than being a bench racer... Do you let silly articles tell you how to build your truck? Do you read 'Truckin'" to get the best ideas for your suspension at the track? Thats foolish AT BEST.

PROOF is what people are doing with the stuff. You can look at internet articles all you want while the world evolves around you. If you guys don't even have experience using or tuning E85 why in the fk are you even debating against it lol. You guys LITERALLY have no idea what the fk you are talking about... These guys are posting up REAL data and videos, dynos etc and all you can post is a stupid chart that obviously doesn't mean sh*t. Its like a bunch of old senile old men who refuse to do anything they aren't familiar with but some how have a formulate argument against it with no facts or reasoning to back it up lol.

·
YOLO
14,227 Posts
Let me get this straight... You have never even used E85 and you are making all this fuss about it? lol

Why bother debating with you about it or even making comments about it. You like C16 because its what you know. That is about where your argument ends. Tell those guys to kick rocks and its your decision. With that being said your 2cents on the subject due to your experience might not even be worth that much... Ignorance is bliss.
Im guessing thats directed at Matt?

:smt102

·
Administrator
18,594 Posts
If neither the MON nor the RON of E85 are as high as the C16 I dont see how you can run more timing with a lot of boost with the E85.
You can't. The 4V guys may be able to run what is called "Mean Best Timing" on C16. Basicly the highest timing before power falls off. The 4V heads are more forgiving. We can not with a 2V motor.

Jim

·
YOLO
14,227 Posts
This is worse than being a bench racer... Do you let silly articles tell you how to build your truck? Do you read 'Truckin'" to get the best ideas for your suspension at the track? Thats foolish AT BEST.

PROOF is what people are doing with the stuff. You can look at internet articles all you want while the world evolves around you. If you guys don't even have experience using or tuning E85 why in the fk are you even debating against it lol. You guys LITERALLY have no idea what the fk you are talking about... These guys are posting up REAL data and videos, dynos etc and all you can post is a stupid chart that obviously doesn't mean sh*t. Its like a bunch of old senile old men who refuse to do anything they aren't familiar with but some how have a formulate argument against it with no facts or reasoning to back it up lol.
What chart did I post? What articles did I mention? Why are you getting mad bro? I have more experience with this than you think I do. I just dont flaunt it every chance I get. Next thing your going to tell me 87 can support more power and boost than C16. :bigtu

If E85 was so great EVERYONE would be using it......

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.