Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
depends on what you mean by 5"

if you mean shackles and hangers, no, but it would help. The 03-04 have that stinkbug stance, so you might have a little more clearance.

FWIW I have shackles and hangers with no notch, energy suspension bumpstops, and never bottom out. I have also hauled 500+ lbs recently with no trouble.

If you are talking leaf springs and shackles (or hangers), then I don't really know. In any situation it helps but there are a few different variables.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
My truck in the rear now is roughly a 4" drop with the helper leaf pulled. I DO bottom out even with the short bumpstops.

Going another 3/4-1" soon, so Cnotch a must.

I also have the ring mark around the driveshaft, going to have to nip the bed a bit before it hurts anything.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good points.

Right now I have the JLP shackles set on the lowest setting. Supposedly that's 3" but the truck doesnt seem all that low to me.

I plan on adding hotchkis leafs to the rear...so I'll supposedly be at 5" but who knows.

·
The abandoner
3,532 Posts
one of the rear setups i ran was hanger/shackle/removed helper leaf, about a 4.5 inch drop... with the shorter bumpstops i would bottom out on real big bumps, it wasnt an everyday thing but it did get old quick.......imo a notch is needed for drops lower than 4.5-5 inches....

me and tim (slicksvt954) just did a 6" drop on his truck with no notch, we did cut the frame away above the axle tho.... shackle,hanger,leafs....he just got it bolted together yesterday and aligned today so we'll see how it goes without a notch kit....im sure he'll post up soon

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I ran 3" hangers and 2" shackles on stock F150 leafs for two years w/o any major issues, but the truck would bottom out on the hardest biggest bumps and i was limited on how much i hauled.

Its much better with the notch, but now that im -7" i again bottom out on the biggest bumps with 3" hangers 2" shackles and '99 L leafs

·
The abandoner
3,532 Posts
just to give you an idea, last time i was under my truck i noticed the small bumpstops inside my c-notch had made contact with the axle...more than a few times...thats at 7"

I bottomed out daily on 4.5" and my Driveshaft was scored up before I got my notch.
imagine how it would be after the notch...trash...

·
Bracket maker
3,982 Posts
You can get around needing a notch by running some helper airbags and keeping them at 10lbs. Your height won't increase and the bags will keep you from bottoming out. Also they give you the ability to carry weight when you need it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.