Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Proudly Melting Faces Since 1994
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to my cousin yesterday and he wants to start building up an old mustang. Probably a 65-68 fastback. I don't know that much outside of late model stuff so anyone have any good links with info on the older cars. Common problems, things to look for, good drive train options for them, suspension, ect. He wants it to be fast but not an all out drag car or anything like that.

I told him I thought it would be cool to do one with a late model drive train but that's mostly bc I don't know anything about carbs so that's probably the route I would go if I was doing it.

Thanks for any help guys.

·
regular joe
1,360 Posts
I have restored a few. You are going to pay a pretty penny for a 67-68 fastback in rough condition the 65-66s have gone up in price too. Expect to pay $10,000-$20,000 not restored.

THe biggest and most costly problem is a leaky cowl. Dump some water into the cowl behind the hood and see if it leaks under the dash. If it does, walk away. If it has a plastic piece covering the cowl, walk away. If the floor pans are rusted toward the front of the car, walk away.

Everything else is pretty much the same as any other car, avoid rust as much as you can. Everything can be replaced.

You can swap a late model drivetrain in pretty easily. The 5.0 and T5 out of a fox or SN95 is almost a direct bolt in. Suspension is easy....you will probably end up with some decent shocks and 620 coil springs up front and some drop leaf springs in the rear....all relatively cheap when compared to working on a lightning. DOnt bother getting a straight 6 car and converting it to a V8. The money it will cost to beef up the front end is just not worth it.

To restore and make a nice fastback, with you all doing the work yourselves, expect to spend in the $30k range, including the cost of the car.

Get on stangnet in the classic forums.

·
Falafel
1,160 Posts
+1 on the cowl leak.. That can destroy most of the frame.. My friend is restoring a 68 convertible.. The car has had I believe 80% of the frame replaced one by one thanks to that leaky rusted ass cowl and hes doing it in his backyard.. I gotta put up some pics of this thing.. I believe hes got something like $2500 in parts. Basically all the front clip besides the rad support, both inner rockers, trunk pan, floorpan, seat supports, rear quarters, cowl, the malakia underneath the cowl, firewall, frame rail patches, all torque boxes, doors, etc.. If you have a friend who is a good welder you will be able to do it and save $20k in labor easily..

Ill have him send me some pics so you can see what it would entail to do it right.. Me personally I would of scrapped the car seeing as to how there's 25lbs of rust just in his vacuum cleaner.. The one thing that gets me though is how much plug and play it really is putting those panels together.. Just ALOT of cutting and grinding.. After that its basically "Spot Weld Here" LoL

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,542 Posts
my dad bought a '66 coupe to have as a "project" about 4-5 years ago, he stripped it down, removed all the wiring and everything, the amount of hidden rust in the cowl and firewall made me cringe...

·
Falafel
1,160 Posts
my dad bought a '66 coupe to have as a "project" about 4-5 years ago, he stripped it down, removed all the wiring and everything, the amount of hidden rust in the cowl and firewall made me cringe...
Pull off the front torque boxes and see what you find. Guarantee that inner rocker is rotted. LoL. After my friend's project I would either

A.) Pay the money for a clean shitbox or
B.) Find a newer car to play with.

Dealing with rust is tiring...

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,542 Posts
my dad has it all torn down and he's willing to do the work, he's wanted the car (the one he bought) since he was younger than I am now and he's willing to make it whole again...

that's why I doubt he'll be ready for a motor for another 10 years, but it keeps him occupied

·
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replys guys. I really appreciate it. He just now starting to look around for a car and trying to decide what to do so I'm sure it'll be a while before anything actually gets going I just wanted to get some info for him to help getting started.

I was thinking a fuel injected stroked 302 for the motor (maybe supercharged) and a good auto behind it. Is that something that would pretty much bolt right into these cars?

·
Falafel
1,160 Posts
Thanks for all the replys guys. I really appreciate it. He just now starting to look around for a car and trying to decide what to do so I'm sure it'll be a while before anything actually gets going I just wanted to get some info for him to help getting started.

I was thinking a fuel injected stroked 302 for the motor (maybe supercharged) and a good auto behind it. Is that something that would pretty much bolt right into these cars?

Find yourself a 351w out of a Bronco or a Lightning.. That'll give er some kick.. Those cars are light..

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
now KWIKS TALKING!

·
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was my next thought. I guess a Gen 1 L drive train would be pretty killer. I have no idea what these old mustangs weigh so how much power are we looking at to get it to go say high 11's. Given traction of course.

·
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for all the info guys and keep it coming. The more knowledge the better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts