Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The GOLD RUSH!
2,559 Posts
I think mine is in the same predicament...

How did his truck sound before he pulled it?

I'll be dropping my transmission soon as well. Figure I'd wait till I got ahold of another TC.

·
The GOLD RUSH!
2,559 Posts
Did his truck sound anything like this:

Click the picture to begin the video-

·
Built And Blown
2,138 Posts
Misalignment between the trans and motor. Since there was no dowel pins the trans relied on the bolts to put into position. After bolting the tq on there could have been a misaligment between the converter and flywheel. And since there was two bolts loose the trans could have and possibly did fall out of alignment all together. So the tq was supported by the input shaft and tq to flywheel bolts. This caused vibrations, though might have been unnoticed it was there. The stress eventually took it's toll on the flywheel. Seen it before. A loose converter can do the same thing. But that's the reason they put the dowel pins in the case in the first place.

·
Building a fast catfish!!!
15,687 Posts
Yup

Sent via my damn droid.

·
05' EMC Champ
325 Posts
Hate to say this.... But the thrust bearings are probably toast.
This... and tranny bearings probably need checking too.
Running without alignment dowels is a major NoNo. :sadno:
I hope your block has head dowels keeping the heads aligned.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
We will find out.

We got the truck running last night, all seems well.

If you didn't see my last post the oil was drained and strained and the filter was cut open an no metal was found so I hoping we will be ok. This noise progressed rapidly and over a very short period of time, I'm hoping we caught it in time. More pics to come.

·
Site Supporter Emeritus
1,161 Posts
The most common cause of what you are seeing is a poorly assembled Torque Converter.

If the two halves were not aligned properly during the welding process, the snout can wobble badly. However since it is restrained when installed by the front bearing of the transmission then each revolution of the engine works the flex plate and it will crack, as you see, in short order.

The reason I am familiar with this is that I used to cut them open on my lathe for a friend of mine who built race converters and I was often amazed at how poorly some OE converters were aligned.

·
The GOLD RUSH!
2,559 Posts
Monstar, yep. Exactly. You could look through the inspection area and see where the flex plate was eating the converter bolts.
Can't look up there and see anything like that...

I'm gunna assume it isn't as bad as your friends but I hope I didn't fubar anything on the motor. As soon as the noise got like that I parked it and had it towed immediately.

Oil is clear but it is what it is. Lol Fist Ford I have ever owned and first break down of this kind.. Stupid Fords. :p If the motor needs to be touched already then the dealership might as well come pick this oversized paper weight up out of my drive way hahha. Not worth the money to build. Time to go diesel like I originally planned.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.