Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Lone Wolf
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's about that time. Heard a nice grinding sound the other day. Upon further inspection, I need new brakes. Honestly i couldn't be happier, been waiting a while to upgrade.
What are you guys running, and how do you like them. I'm not too worried about dust, don't wanna chew my rotors. I wanna stop.
Looking to get a hydro, pads, and rotors(slotted and dimpled would be nice). Also any place to get a deal would be very appreciated.

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,675 Posts
I'd personally steer away from rotorpros again. Mine had stress cracks on my HD after all of 10k miles. The rears on my Stealth warped within a year.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Stop Tech Slotted & Cryo Treated rotors on the front non cryo on the back. I used their ceramic pads.

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
I kinda took Leach's advice... went with NAPA rotors, and Ford Severe Duty Pad Brake Pads. My feeling is that slotted rotors eat brakes faster than regulars and I've never had a problem with the OEM stuff. But I did "upgrade" in that I used NAPA's Ultra Premium rotors:

NAPA Ultra Premium part number is #86984.

Motorcraft BRSD702 Front Severe Duty Pads

I opened the box on the pads and they were Ford Blue! Worked out well because my truck's theme is black and Candy Blue... so I had repainted my calipers blue, and the new Ground Force Springs were also Ford Blue. I had the whole front end torn apart and did all new Pro-Forged Tie Rods, Idler, Springs, Raybestos Pro Ball Joints. My front end looks like a Zerk Party LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
SSBC Force 10 front brake system
Stiffler's SS lines front and back
Fresh OEM master cylinder
Fresh OEM rear calipers
Motorcraft HD rear brake pads
Cryo & slotted rear rotors (Stoptech/Centric: Power Slot 126.65085CSR/126.65085CSL)
Hydroboost
ABS delete (the stock system is hyperactive, resulting in poor braking performance)

Once the pads warm up, there is a tad too much rear bias. If you want to perfect it, use a bias adjuster and crank down the rear line just a touch.

Other things to note: The SSBC front system was a PITA. You need to purchase 14mm studs and press out the 12mms that are in the included hubs. Annoying. Also, the caliper standoff shim is the wrong size. I had to shim with washers to get the calipers to sit perfectly in line with the rotors. Now that it's complete, the system does works fantastic though.

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
3,251 Posts
I kinda took Leach's advice... went with NAPA rotors, and Ford Severe Duty Pad Brake Pads. My feeling is that slotted rotors eat brakes faster than regulars and I've never had a problem with the OEM stuff. But I did "upgrade" in that I used NAPA's Ultra Premium rotors:

NAPA Ultra Premium part number is #86984.

Motorcraft BRSD702 Front Severe Duty Pads

I opened the box on the pads and they were Ford Blue! Worked out well because my truck's theme is black and Candy Blue... so I had repainted my calipers blue, and the new Ground Force Springs were also Ford Blue. I had the whole front end torn apart and did all new Pro-Forged Tie Rods, Idler, Springs, Raybestos Pro Ball Joints. My front end looks like a Zerk Party LOL.
This is the route I plan on going. So long as Mike has a good long term review on them.

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
This is the route I plan on going. So long as Mike has a good long term review on them.
LOL... Long Term? You're talking about someone who averages maybe 2500 miles a year! But so far so good, put 600 miles on them going to Vinnies, 300 going to Stan's, so far so good. Brake dust not too bad as I sometimes don't even wash the truck for a cruise night... It stays clean and dry usually, and it's garaged 24/7/365. So I have maybe 1200 miles on them, enough stopping power for me, and if I'm on the highway I'm usually cruising at 70-85 just ask anyone who's convoyed with me LOL.

Nice having everything new underneath too. UCAs/LCAs courtesy of Rock Auto. ProForged stuff & pads via Amazon, rotors and bearings NAPA.

·
The Lone Wolf
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fresh OEM rear calipers
Cryo & slotted rear rotors (Stoptech/Centric: Power Slot 126.65085CSR/126.65085CSL)
Hydroboost
ABS delete (the stock system is hyperactive, resulting in poor braking performance)

Once the pads warm up, there is a tad too much rear bias. If you want to perfect it, use a bias adjuster and crank down the rear line just a touch.

Other things to note: The SSBC front system was a PITA. You need to purchase 14mm studs and press out the 12mms that are in the included hubs. Annoying. Also, the caliper standoff shim is the wrong size. I had to shim with washers to get the calipers to sit perfectly in line with the rotors. Now that it's complete, the system does works fantastic though.
Very detailed and helpful. Thought about the SSBC system but nobody seemed to mention it. Did you maybe get a bad batch, or are they all like that?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Very detailed and helpful. Thought about the SSBC system but nobody seemed to mention it. Did you maybe get a bad batch, or are they all like that?
My story about the brake kit is long and convoluted. Bottom line, no I do not believe my spacer issue was a fluke. The 14mm studs are a published requirement in their install guide, I just thought it would have been easy to have a customer request the kit as either the 12mm or 14mm stud version.

Like I said though -- now that the work is complete, I'm very happy with the system. I was especially impressed with the fitment of the Stiffler SS lines. Now, if I could just get a set of NT05s to last more than 5k miles :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
My story about the brake kit is long and convoluted. Bottom line, no I do not believe my spacer issue was a fluke. The 14mm studs are a published requirement in their install guide, I just thought it would have been easy to have a customer request the kit as either the 12mm or 14mm stud version.

Like I said though -- now that the work is complete, I'm very happy with the system. I was especially impressed with the fitment of the Stiffler SS lines. Now, if I could just get a set of NT05s to last more than 5k miles :)
Aw heck, here you go:

You can see in two of the close-ups how off-center the caliper is. I removed the supplied shim and replaced it with (5 x 8mm?) washers and they lined up perfectly. Also see the pic of the mounting bolt that is supplied. It's about... 25mm too long! Cutoff wheel required.

Also included a pic of the rear cryo rotors. Although the slots look to be backwards, that is how they are on those rotors... I suppose it doesn't matter anyway since they are non-vented.

Attachments

·
BADMPGEH
6,909 Posts
Fresh OEM rear calipers
Hydroboost

I run a very similar setup, also ran into the same problem with the SSBC front brakes.

All in all I love them

Attachments

·
Dude
2,363 Posts
I have an SSBC force 10 14" kit and had a similar experience with the install but man do they stop well. With the weight I haul its a necessity.I also have SS lines and my discs are slotted and crossdrilled. Am planning a hydroboost unit in the near future. SSBC recommends Semi metalics and they do wear fast, but...... I would rather bitch about changing the brakes every 4-5 months :smt089then bitch about a smashed up truck:smt013 I drive alot of miles:bigtu

1 - 17 of 17 Posts