Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen…. (and Ladies …maybe) …..
I have a Gen 2 Lightning with a mind build. Mostly a new 2.3L Whipple and all the bolt-ons you can buy. I’m being modest but it’s not important what’s under the hood. I’d like to know what you guys think about brakes. Is it worth the 4k to buy one of the kits?? Or is it better to piece everything together.?? I have a list on LMR for new brakes but before I bought I wanted your opinions on brands, what to upgrade, and what can be left stock. Also what cross-overs work on the Lightning. The list I put together has SVT slotted front and rear rotors, Hawk Performance pads, Stifflers brake line kits front and rear, new SVT calipers, and all new hardware and wheel bearings. I like to do autocross with ISCCA, and banging gears through the mountain roads up here. That’s the extent of the stress I’d put on the brake system. With that information what do you guys suggest. Am I wasting my money or not spending enough. Thank you for any suggestions or advice in advance!!

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I couldn't justify the huge price of the Brembo or Wilwood kits so I made my own.

Hydroboost
Braided stainless lines
Custom caliper brackets
GT350 calipers
Jeep trackhawk 16" rotors

Rears are stock with EBC Yellowstuff pads and drilled/slotted rotors

I can't believe how good the stopping power is now.

My truck is 4x4 so I didn't need to make a custom wheel hub. I've seen others make them though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't justify the huge price of the Brembo or Wilwood kits so I made my own.

Hydroboost
Braided stainless lines
Custom caliper brackets
GT350 calipers

My truck is 4x4 so I didn't need to make a custom wheel hub. I've seen others make them though.

·
regular joe
2002 True Blue
1,935 Posts

Hydroboost
Braided stainless lines
Custom caliper brackets
GT350 calipers

The willwood kit is under $2500.

Trackhawk rotors are $700+ each if you bought oem. Gt350 calipers are $700. Then custom brackets, lines, hydroboost. How could you not justify the cost for wilwood? Or did you buy used?

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
The willwood kit is under $2500.

Trackhawk rotors are $700+ each if you bought oem. Gt350 calipers are $700. Then custom brackets, lines, hydroboost. How could you not justify the cost for wilwood? Or did you buy used?
Bought my calipers with 300 miles on them. I designed my mounting brackets. I did the hydroboost swap and lines long before the caliper upgrade.

The wilwood price isn't bad at all, Brembo pricing is much higher

·
Slevin
1,081 Posts
Good slotted rotors, good pads that fit your usage and stifflers lines
Then start looking at hydro boost if you aren't happy still.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good slotted rotors, good pads that fit your usage and stifflers lines
Then start looking at hydro boost if you aren't happy still.
Thank you. For the feedback. The 1300.00 on LMR for ungraded calipers, Hawk pads, slotted rotors, stifflers lines and hardware is still the best price for the goal.

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,951 Posts
I need to see what ill do with my 19 year old oem lines. I may get a local hose shop to make me steel braid lines to replaces on the soft stuff. I may also do a hydro boost and ill have a local shop do the lines as well. As for the brakes, ford gen 2 pads with napa blanks are perfectly fine. I dont do any repeated hard braking where big brake kits would be superior. I also like my oem 18" wheels.

·
regular joe
2002 True Blue
1,935 Posts
I need to see what ill do with my 19 year old oem lines. I may get a local hose shop to make me steel braid lines to replaces on the soft stuff. I may also do a hydro boost and ill have a local shop do the lines as well. As for the brakes, ford gen 2 pads with napa blanks are perfectly fine. I dont do any repeated hard braking where big brake kits would be superior. I also like my oem 18" wheels.
Why not just buy lines from stifflers? All pre bent and braided.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gentlemen…. (and Ladies …maybe) …..
I have a Gen 2 Lightning with a mind build. Mostly a new 2.3L Whipple and all the bolt-ons you can buy. I’m being modest but it’s not important what’s under the hood. I’d like to know what you guys think about brakes. Is it worth the 4k to buy one of the kits?? Or is it better to piece everything together.?? I have a list on LMR for new brakes but before I bought I wanted your opinions on brands, what to upgrade, and what can be left stock. Also what cross-overs work on the Lightning. The list I put together has SVT slotted front and rear rotors, Hawk Performance pads, Stifflers brake line kits front and rear, new SVT calipers, and all new hardware and wheel bearings. I like to do autocross with ISCCA, and banging gears through the mountain roads up here. That’s the extent of the stress I’d put on the brake system. With that information what do you guys suggest. Am I wasting my money or not spending enough. Thank you for any suggestions or advice in advance!!
Hello my 03 has only 28,000 orignal
Babies miles on it Runs like new
However was thinking of adding the 2.3 Whipple and some brakes funny thing
Is the Whipple
2.3 give a noticeable power ?
Thanks for all feed back

·
Retired Odderator
3,308 Posts
O.G. here.......TCE Performance was the originator of all the big brake kits for the Lightning, they are proven performers on multiple road courses by myself and others.

Todd Cook has been support us since the beginning Lightning, Harley F150 99-04 - Kits

·
regular joe
2002 True Blue
1,935 Posts
...if you can fi
O.G. here.......TCE Performance was the originator of all the big brake kits for the Lightning, they are proven performers on multiple road courses by myself and others.

Todd Cook has been support us since the beginning Lightning, Harley F150 99-04 - Kits
Unless their kits are different from other wilwood kits...they are $500+ more. What am I missing?

·
Retired Odderator
3,308 Posts
...if you can fi

Unless their kits are different from other wilwood kits...they are $500+ more. What am I missing?
TCE's kits are not off the shelf Wilwood kits, he does his brackets, lines, hubs, etc in house, for the most current info I would Give them a call and Todd Cook can explain in detail, you can tell Him Ian Schwartz says hi.

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,747 Posts
I can save you some money on Wilwoods, a little anyway. Todd at TCE does a little extra to his stuff as well. Plus, he is the only one you can get a Wilwood rear kit from. Weird, huh?

Wait time on Stifflers rear lines are about 4 weeks right now. They will soon be going to ALL soft line on the rear instead of hard/soft.

Reactions: AllCarFan

·
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block
3,048 Posts
Why would they be going to a all soft line from the hard stainless and soft line combo

1 - 20 of 22 Posts