Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's time to upgrade my brakes. As much as I'd love to pull the trigger on some Aerospace brakes, according to my reading... they are not for street use/duty. As some of you might know, I try to drive my truck every day possible and I need some good brakes and rotors for the street and occasional track outing.

I run LMR 20s on the street and 15 bogarts in drag trim.

Im looking at the slotted rotors by Stop Tech and Hawk HPS brake pads. Anyone have experience with these rotors or pads? They also offer ceramic pads for like $6 more. Any input appreciated like always!

·
Registered
20 Posts
So it's time to upgrade my brakes. As much as I'd love to pull the trigger on some Aerospace brakes, according to my reading... they are not for street use/duty. As some of you might know, I try to drive my truck every day possible and I need some good brakes and rotors for the street and occasional track outing.

Im looking at the slotted rotors by Stop Tech and Hawk HPS brake pads. Anyone have experience with these rotors or pads? They also offer ceramic pads for like $6 more. Any input appreciated like always!

I personally dont have experience with the brake kits you are looking at, but I had the slotted and drilled rotors w/ ceramic pads and red caliper kit from Powerstop. I've used their stuff for years on my other cars. Been very happy with the stopping power and looks. Price is overall not bad. Just something for you to look into but overall, everyone has their own likes/dislikes.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I personally dont have experience with the brake kits you are looking at, but I had the slotted and drilled rotors w/ ceramic pads and red caliper kit from Powerstop. I've used their stuff for years on my other cars. Been very happy with the stopping power and looks. Price is overall not bad. Just something for you to look into but overall, everyone has their own likes/dislikes.
Thanks for chiming in. The brakes I was looking at are on LMR. Just slotted rotors and some Hawk branded pads. I've heard of Powerstop on here before if I remember right. I'll look into them!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol my front brakes are as big as your drag wheels.
I know that's why you don't run skinnies up front! The stock brakes I feel do good for me. I'm not even hydroboosted. Just want to upgrade while still keeping stock front rotors and calipers.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,704 Posts

hydroboost conversion??

·
10 second street truck
12,209 Posts
I know that's why you don't run skinnies up front! The stock brakes I feel do good for me. I'm not even hydroboosted. Just want to upgrade while still keeping stock front rotors and calipers.
Hydroboost does nothing on stock brakes but add a firmer pedal. After driving with good brakes on a lightning you'll never think the stock brakes were anything but pathetic.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hydroboost conversion??
I actually have a unit sitting in a box stored that I haven’t installed.

If I remember you have hydro boost right?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hydroboost does nothing on stock brakes but add a firmer pedal. After driving with good brakes on a lightning you'll never think the stock brakes were anything but pathetic.
I don’t want to go to bigger brakes and calipers because I won’t be able to run a 15in wheel. That’s why I’m looking into slotted rotors and better than stock pads.

I might just buy stock motorcraft brakes and get the slotted rotors.

·
10 second street truck
12,209 Posts
I don’t want to go to bigger brakes and calipers because I won’t be able to run a 15in wheel. That’s why I’m looking into slotted rotors and better than stock pads.

I might just buy stock motorcraft brakes and get the slotted rotors.
Buy whatever you want.

I ran OEM rotors and pads. OEM rotors and ford's heavy duty pads. I ran Napa rotors and hawk pads. They all felt identical.

15's up front don't make sense for me. My truck sees way more street than track. The stock brakes and the speeds my trucks capable of are a bad bad combo.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I run Wilwoods up front and Powerstop brakes on the rear. Don't recommend drilled rotors for racing as we have cracked them in the past and now stick to the slotted rotors.
The OEM brakes are more than fine for street use and you can change pads for the occasional autocross/track day. If you decide to make a brake upgrade at some point, IMO go with the Wilwoods.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,704 Posts
I actually have a unit sitting in a box stored that I haven’t installed.

If I remember you have hydro boost right?
yes sir

stops and holds the truck way better (sorry Dusten, I was too busy washing my hands and not catching covid to take measurements) plus the firmer feel on the pedal

Reactions: NMSVT

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
3,273 Posts
I was running hydroboost and Napa calipers (front and rear) and their heavy duty pads. The pedal feel was firmer as mentioned but the noticeable stopping distance came when I replaced the Hankook tires with the Nittos. I would also recommend upgrading to stainless steel brake lines.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Years back i had gone to ceramix all the way around on the factory rotors and those were decent stock feel until they either got hot in standstill traffic or after one panic stop. Then they would fade terribly even in normal-esque freeway driving. So i got new front stock rotors and I have the hawk HPS pads just in the front (kept the ceramix in the rear). They do stop real well when warmed up, even for multiple stops, but the brake dust is almost to the point of being outrageous, and i've had a few puckers when the air is 30* and the brakes are cold. They do not perform well when cold. I usually ride the brake down my hill just to warm them a little bit to avoid that. I think hawk has a more regular street pad than these that I will try next, but my truck sees maybe 2k/year so that won't be for a while.

·
regular joe
2002 True Blue
1,737 Posts
StopTech is what Saleen used for their 6 piston front caliper on the S331. It was just rebranded as 'Saleen.' I had zero issues with them. I paired them with some Hawk pads. They stopped the wagon wheel, 23" tires on an 08, extended cab f150 with a heavy SC without a problem. Id run them on a lightning without hesitation.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The wilwood setups from TCE are amazing and well worth the money. However I also have disc that are as big as your drag rims. They do make a smaller setup though.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
If you want to keep it near stock then I have a hydroboost setup, (not necessarily important but did cure my shutter under panic stops) and with OEM rotors and Motorcraft Super Duty pads it stopped really well. I now run Powerstop Z36 (I think that's what their called) pads, and they don't brake nearly as well as the SD pads. The issue with the SD pads is that after 5K-6K miles they just dust so damn bad. I could DD my truck a whole year without washing it with the Z36 pads and my wheels would be twice as clean as they would be after a week of DD with the Motorcraft SD pads. You have to decide whether you want pads that are easy to keep things clean, or pads that bite hard and bring things to a quicker halt with much lighter petal application. In all honesty the Z36 pads would lock up the rotor under very hard braking if not for the ABS, but to get X amount of braking force with the Z36 pads you have to apply noticeably more force on the brake petal than you do with the SD pads. I will say that the SD pads make an L feel like a more modern braking vehicle as it's an easier going braking experience during normal driving.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts