Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice for which setup will give the sound I'm after. I'd like it to be tuned/aggressive but not overbearing/obnoxious (Mustang w/ LTs, catless and dumped for that). Was almost sold on Bassani/OBX until I started thinking about the Borla. I've read posts that say to some Borla is quieter than stock, but that is with cats and stock headers. I haven't read any posts about Borla with catless and LTs. Read plenty about Bassani with OBX LTs. Most say it's a bit loud but sounds great, so I'm a bit torn there. Watched some Youtube vids of the above mentioned setups as well, but camcorder acoustics only tell so much. I'd like some users opinions -- thanks!

·
11 Second Club
15,089 Posts
I had bassanni and loved it. Now I have a obx full exhaust and its loud. Im going to go back to bassanni eventually there is just something about bassanni

·
Flyin HI
31,040 Posts
I'm running Dynatech LT's, high flows, and a Borla.
It's agressive but definitely not loud loud. I haven't gotten to open it up yet so can't say how it'll sound but I have a feeling it'll be just right for me.
I can still hear the cams and the KB so I like it and as long as it flows, I'm happy.

·
FLY NAVY
308 Posts
I bought my truck with a borla catback with stock headers and cats. My truck sounds great, but I do wish it was a bit louder. LTs are somewhere in the future, so I'm sure that will probably make it just right.

If I were to start from scratch, I would probably do a LT, catless, Bassani combo.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I've got Bassani (HD version) and was surprised it was a little quiet - but no droning and a great sound. OBX LT's soon will make it a little louder.
I also put a Bassani axle back on the wife's GT500 - same great sound.
The fitment and quality are spot on!

·
Fat Bastad
2,756 Posts
There's nothing at all wrong with Borla catback but it won't change the sound of the truck much if at all. Mine sounded nearly identical to the stock exhaust after I installed the Borla Catback on an otherwise stock exhaust. I have no information about what sort of power increases it may or may not of had to offer. It's a great quality unit and will likely last for ever but it offers no change in the sound of the truck.

Roach

·
Whipple Powered
3,850 Posts
I'm running Dynatech LT's, high flows, and a Borla.
It's agressive but definitely not loud loud. I haven't gotten to open it up yet so can't say how it'll sound but I have a feeling it'll be just right for me.
I can still hear the cams and the KB so I like it and as long as it flows, I'm happy.
I would REALLY like to hear a sound clip of your exhaust setup.

Im running a borla catback on stock mids and manifolds and have always wondered how LT's and high flows would wake up the sound.

As for just the catback I have had the same experience that Roach just described^^^

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies! It's looking like Bassanni/OBX, but like KPSBolt said I would sure like to hear Roach4047's setup before making a final decision. Nother question tho..I'm assuming Borla catback has internal crossover since it doesn't come with an X-section like Bassanni. I'm itching to make a decision, but these trucks are so nice i want the refined sound it shoudl have. :rockon_ford

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Delvallo
2,229 Posts
Other than one member here (http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39681) I've read that bassanni mates right up to OBX. In fact, the full OBX system is a design copy of bassani/dynatech. I am wondering tho if the Borla will mate up to OBX since it doesn't have the x-section.

And yep I meant Dash808's setup ;)
That's good! I almost ordered a obx cat back this week, but had a family issue, now I have to save up again...

Now the question is dan, obx or bassani??

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,897 Posts
I had obx with resonators going into a bassani catback. I hated it. It was too raspy under load on mild acceration. I spent a fortune going 3" with a comp r muffler.

Go comp r is my opinion. It's way deeper and very clean sounding. If i had to keep the bassani muffler from the BX system, I'd run high flow cats. I also had that and it sounded great.

·
10 Second Club!!!
5,573 Posts
i have the OBX longtubes into resonators and bassani exhaust. mine was raspy sounding at first, but here lately it has gone away. its very loud and at times i say im going to buy some high flow cats and try to lower the noise

1 - 20 of 57 Posts