Lightning Rodder banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
Any rough estimates on the price JJ?
Not at the moment.

I was told that there is a rough idea on pricing but its not set in stone at the moment. Once the "standing" orders are accepted I am sure final pricing will be released but that will take awhile.

I will keep in contact with our engine builder and get his thoughts once he has one of these in hand. :bigtu

JJ

·
Red Rocket Spike, Red Rocket!
1,679 Posts
Hmm... interesting. Makes sense though... there is a similar process in the gun world for "carbonizing" aluminum frame rails that's been used for many years with success, sounds along the same lines.

From Ford:
It's called Plasma Transferred Wire Arc Spray Bore, which we'll shorten to PTWA. This process uses a consumable steel wire like a MIG welder and coats the aluminum cylinder with iron oxide.

Now hold on a second. Isn't iron oxide rust? Yes, but there are different iron oxides separated by crystalline structure. Get the right kind of FeO and you have a very hard, durable finish, according to Ford's manager of materials and manufacturing research Matt Zaluzec.

The coating operation starts with a machine that cuts small, spiral grooves in the cylinder. Next the tip goes down the bore. High-voltage electricity arcs from the steel wire to a ground and a blast of compressed air sprays the plasma on the cylinder walls where the material--when combined with atmospheric oxygen--turns to the right kind of iron oxide.

PTWA is not new--the aerospace industry uses it to toughen aluminum components like turbine blades--but Zaluzec said, "We applied the Henry Ford method," meaning that the company was able to make the technology affordable. Typically PTWA had been done in a vacuum with an expensive consumable wire.

5.8 in 5.0 magazine.
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/te...ord_shelby_gt500_trinity_5_8l_v8/viewall.html

·
street truck
6,534 Posts
I had a long conversation with John at accufab and his thoughts are the big bores and boost arent good combos. But thats neither here nor there. I know of a few shops doing 5.6 motors putting in larger sleeves. So far kind of a 50/50 mix on the spray in cylinders and high boost.
Little off topic but I'm curious how long ago Mihovetz told you that? Was he talking about 50lb boosted motors like his 281ci motor or any mod motor and even moderate boost levels? Did he mention wet or dry sleeves?

I'm shooting for 25-30lbs with a 3.7bore wet sleeve and 4.25" crank which is looking to be about a 365" motor. Plan to shift about 7500-8000rpm I was going back n forth for a while and still feel like it's a bit of theory but the blue MMR car has run 6.99 with a 3.7 bore 5.4 motor around 8500rpm and 34psi. I also believe the newest MMR car is running 6.50's with a BB 5.4 motor as well. IIRC at 32psi.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,678 Posts
This thread is 9 years old... lol
Most of the people who have posted in the thread are gone.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
l have been told it can be done by a engine builder safely sound a bit much we are talking .127 th or 30 mm
How do you take .127" out of a cylinder that only has roughly .125" thickness between cylinders? That's going to leave ZERO wall thickness which, last I checked, doesn't work very well.

Mihovetz continued his thoughts on the comparison. “It’s the same issue with the 5.4 block. The biggest negative thing about the iron block is that the cylinders are too thin on an untouched block. If you sonic-check the thickness, you would find that it’s between .120- to .125-inch, so it’s just too thin."

Good luck taking it out 3mm and if the machine shop you're dealing with suggested you do that you should probably ask for your stuff back and run as fast as you can.

·
Administrator
18,509 Posts
I know some go to .030 over to save a block. I would never consider over .020 overbore on a factory block without sleeves. More than .030 is ridiculous.

On a side note it is cool to see posts by Dale (BadAsL) pop up in a discussion and miss his participation greatly...

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
yes as l said it sounds bit much but l was told you guys in the states are doing it and if you sonic check there is still .100 thickness left
thats why here and see if any one out there knows of this

·
Registered
9 Posts
thanks for that certified drunk love you name me lastnight lol but what is the cost of sleeves and fitting is it really worth doing for such a small increase in size
over 5.4 what do you think

21 - 38 of 38 Posts