Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not saying that I want to be a fuddy-duddy and keep my original head unit, but if someone DID want to do so, for whatever reasons...

Do the universal Bluetooth Adapters work well, for adding Bluetooth to our HU? Is there a specific one, or do the universal ones work fine?

Any do's or dont's for that hypothetical owner who might want to go this route?

Or would anyone in their right mind just scrap the original unit, pay another $100 (over the $200 for adding Bluetooth) and just get a good 1 din or 2 din unit?

Thanks... on my friend's behalf ;)

·
Cogswell Cogs
3,384 Posts
Interesting... I don't have an answer but, I like the idea.

Along the same lines I'd like to know if it's possible to have a USB input.
On my other vehicle which has a USB input to the HU I downloaded all my CD's, nearly a thousand songs so far, onto a 3.0 USB thumb drive and I'm able to listen to uninterrupted, commercial free music for hours.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks like the same type of device my local installer is recommending. He carries one called Tranzit BLU HF. It looks like it's very similar.

I definitely want something that is hard-wired. I don't like the idea of using something that transmits through a radio station... signal would fade in and out in isolated areas.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked into that too, but apparently it's not recommended (or not possible, I can't remember?). With this adapter, you can transmit wirelessly from your phone to the HU, so whatever you've got on your phone would work (iTunes, Pandaro, phone, GPS audio instructions, etc), but not the thumb drive.

Interesting... I don't have an answer but, I like the idea.

Along the same lines I'd like to know if it's possible to have a USB input.
On my other vehicle which has a USB input to the HU I downloaded all my CD's, nearly a thousand songs so far, onto a 3.0 USB thumb drive and I'm able to listen to uninterrupted, commercial free music for hours.

·
Mr. Camtec
366 Posts
There "OK" for the most part. I utilized one for my 2007 Honda Oddessy There were some hickups..... It also came with a iPhone jack. I just ended up using that instead. I'll later go aftermarket with it. Less hassle

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Success! Bluetooth added to stock L head unit!

The two visible parts are a very discrete microphone (I chose to clip it front and center, under the speedo), and the On/Off button (which I put right by the HU bevel, barely visible). You just have to download the app from iTunes (for iPhone), and it sync's to your phone just like any other bluetooth device. This unit connects directly via your antenna input, so there's no roaming for a clear FM station, no static (like with the cheap cigarette lighter senders). You give it a designated frequency, key it into your presets, and turn it on (along with your phone bluetooth).

Highly recommended... here is a pic of the unit, and the install.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts