Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Blown Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally did the blue sharpie mod to the bulbs when I install my phantom gauges.  I thought it looked pretty close to the stock gauge cluster and life was good.

My boost gauge went out of calibration and had to go back to Autometer.  While the gauge was out I got to thinking about the sharpie mod and wondered what a blue bulb with the green cover would look like.

I went to Autozone and bought a 2 bulb pack of blue bulbs.  They were Blazer Xtreme Lites, 168NB series, instrument/accent, 12 volts.

When the new guage came back I put the blue bulb with the green condom in and left the sharpie mod in the WBC gauge to compare. 

I was blown away at the difference.  The WBC gauge didn't even look close to the the same color as the stock gauge cluster anymore. 

This is the cheapest mod I've done in a while.  It was $2.99 + tax.

REVISION: I edited the part# for the bulb. The 168NB is brighter than 161NB.  It is a little brighter than the stock bulb which is a good thing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
sounds good i have phantom gauges and would like to try but :worthless:

·
Blown Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried taking pics after the gauges were first installed with the sharpie mod but they don't turn out good at all. The camera picks up the stock gauges great but barely picks up the backlit gauges at all so you can't really tell anything about them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Project ..  installing Auto Meter boost gauge w/ SC Pod
dual mode.. bulbs 2 green LEDs and blue main bulb .. main bulb on w/ head-light sw .. LEDs w/ separate lightning sw

·
Blown Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I revised the part# in my original post after new findings.

I went to buy Dealerjim a couple of packs of bulbs for his 3 gauges and they on had 1 package of the 161NB and 3 packages of the 168NB.  I ask the parts guy what the difference was since the color of the bulb looked exactly the same.  He said the only difference was the 168NB was a brighter bulb.  I bought all 3 packs of the 168NB so I could change my 161NB out to see the difference.

The 161NB was dimmer than the stock bulb and the 168NB is brighter than the stock bulb.  The 168NB comes closer to lighting up the gauge face more evenly than the stock bulb or 161NB instead of being dark in the center of the gauge.

So now you not only get a good color match to the stock gauge cluster but also better readability at night.

·
Registered
270 Posts
nice tip i just changed mine and the 161nb is so dim. but it matches perfectly almost. im gonna go get some 168's. thanks for the tip! :D

·
Blown Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to brighten the pic to get the gauges to show decent. This is the best I could get it to turn out.

·
Registered
270 Posts
looks good. do u have the green condom on it? it looks kinda white but that might be cuz u brightened the pic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts