Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys hoping y'all can give me some insight. I have been lurking around the forum for years now and have always found great information here! So I have an 01 and I blew a spark plug out a few months ago. Went through the insert process and while doing that found the head gasket was leaking. So I decided to get a upgraded remanufactured engine from promar and unfortunately the head gasket blew again I only put 300 miles on it. Here is a list of the mods and engine specs

Block
5.4 Lightning Block
4 bolt main
Premium core max .030 bore.

Cylinder Heads
5.4 Lightning PI heads
Reinforced Spark Plug threads
New Stainless Steel Intake & Exhaust Valves
New Valve Guides
3 Angle Competition Valve Job
New Head Bolts

Valve Train
5.4 Lightning Roller Camshafts
New Hydraulic Lash Adjusters
New Timing set with new chain adjusters
Roller Cam Followers

Rotating Assembly
Keith Black or Speed-Pro Forged Pistons
Compression Ratio 8.7:1
Scat H Beam Rods with ARP rod Bolts
5.4 Forged Lighting Crankshaft
Balanced rotating assembly within 1 Gram
Steel File Fit Rings

Upgrades
6LB crank pulley
Sct BA2600
JLP dual air intake kit
Deatschwerks 78LB injectors
Deatschwerks 265LPH fuel pump
EGR delete
Turkey pan plug with a catch can
Jlp 93 octane tune

Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? Is this detonation? The truck was breaking up at full throttle. Was planning on calling the builder monday. What do y'all think is happening here? Tune issue or maybe a bad engine?
Water Astronomical object Electric blue Circle Science

Fluid Liquid Circle Water Chemical compound

Flash photography Liquid Eyelash Tints and shades Space

Wood Automotive tire Road surface Tints and shades Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Tints and shades Circle Rim Electric blue

Water Automotive tire Road surface Space Art

Gas Circle Rim Metal Pattern

Tints and shades Landscape Soil Hill Rock

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input. So the engine that was originally in the truck was mostly stock. Didn't realize it had a 6lb lower pulley on it until I got mine from jlp. I have no idea what tune was on it if any. When I put in the new engine I did all the other mods and got the jlp tune. Didn't know promar had a bad reputation. 😒

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Did the builder recommend a tune program, did the tuner get engine specs, and fuel octane recommendation?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I sent jlp the same engine specs and mod list I posted here. Nobody directly recommended a tune but I thought one was necessary since I changed quite a bit.
Okay so I just did a Head and Cam swap from JLP since I sent #4s plug to the moon 🌙. I almost went with Promarr for the price of the new set of heads, but my builder friend told me no theyre "bad". Google is our friend, I found out they're Chinese castings. No bueno. What head bolts are you using? If you reused stock I highly recommend ARP's 8740s (for low boost 2000s for more). Also whenever you do new head studs or bolts chase/clean and blow out any residual fluid/oil down in the blocks threads. If you don't you could have improper torque. Here's a picture of improper clamping force versus how arp 2000s look when they're full torqued. Notice the gap vs no gap between the head and block. Double check your head gaskets are facing the correct way also 😬 speaking from experience
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive exterior

·
Registered
34 Posts
The engine came to me as a long block. They used new head bolts. I'm assuming just stock ones
All the plugs are white at the end. All the injectors are new. Spoke to the builder today and they said to pull it and send it back so they can open it up. 😒 View attachment 548766
Yeah I would send that back. Make sure to tell them about the studs. Not sure if stock can hold up 🤷‍♂️ head gaskets can for sure if they're oem. Bolts I'm not so sure of past stock. Maybe crack a valve cover open a see if there's stock bolts or arp studs.

·
Administrator
18,754 Posts
What do you think about stock head bolts on a modded truck? How far do they hold up?
Plenty of guys run 6# over stock as assembled from Ford. Not many blow head gaskets, but it does happen due to tune or mechanical failures at times. If apart it makes sense to add better. But not usually time/cost effective when we mod trucks first time around with stock motor.

Jim

·
Registered
02 lightning/03 cobruh
165 Posts
I popped mine on my brand new motor a few months back, cookie cutter build nothing special. I got super frustrated with my luck after that and had to take a break and step away lol. I was doing a datalog pull and got the okay to do a 3/4 wot pull when my lower coolant hose popped off. Immediately pulled over and all my coolant was gone. Temps were at 190 when it popped off according to the log so I didn't think I did anything major but the next morning I noticed all my coolant from my upper hose was gone (benefit of killerglass I guess). Checked my oil and had the forbidden milkshake.

Cometic gaskets and ARP studs were used but after I got the heads back from the machine shop, I opted for felpro instead this time. I always thought cometic was supposed to be good and it turns out I should have just went with OEM instead.

Finally finished getting the motor in again and started her up and she sounds good again, but I never drove it since I was up installing my hangars this past Sunday, (those rivets were a pain in the ass) and I should be back on the road this weekend hopefully.

Machine shop said they took of . 004 on the heads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts