Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My left idler pulley bearing on the blower belt decided to die at 80mph the other day and basically ruined the belt and the aluminum mount its on so now I'm faced with a decision to re-engineer the idler plate it sits on or replace it with a new one from ford....what do you guys think? I thought about grinding the rest of the nub off and put a steel insert and bolting it to the aluminum piece. Or does some vendor make the same bracket? Any advise will be welcome except what I disagree with. You guys missed me didn't you!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Mr jordan, I have my old bracket setting on my shop floor if you need it? Just let me know?

I run the MP ideler set up.

PS, the stock ideler bearings are only about 7 10 10 buck a piece through a bearing house like (motion industries) you can change them out very cost effectively. I took mine to them and they matched them for me. Took about 15 min to change the bearings out and about 15 min to instal.

Peace,

Suavy

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually you can buy the whole thing pulley and bearing at NAPA or the ford dealer for about 25.00. I had just put a ported blower on it and had pulled the idlers off and checked them, they were free with no problem, sometimes it's just a lessons learned but I'm going to replace all the idler pulleys when I fix this and replace the accessory belt at the same time. After this has happened I wonder why there wasn't a steel sleeve put between the aluminum and the bearing, actually the aluminum got hot enough to distort and  rendered the mount unusable any more, I believe i can fix it the way it is but just a word to everyone go buy the new idlers as preventive maintenance.

Suavy thanks for the offer I may take you up on it but i'll try fixing it first!

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
what did the idler sound like when it went out??? cause my blower is squeeling like a pig but hey it might be the pulleys on the way out
btw it sounds like belt squeel but its deff not the belt

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was about 4am and I had the tunes up loud but i thought I heard a squeal, then I smelled rubber from the belt is when i got it stopped and cut the belt off but it was too late for the idler. It will squeal so I'd just replace both of them with new complete idlers cheap insurance.

Suavy I need your address and email address so i can send the tag. Just email me with it or pm me.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I sent it to you through an e-mail you sent me. I will reply throught this board also. Doing it right now.

Peace,

Suavy

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hey, I never recieved the shipping lable? The bracket is yours for free just shoot me the lable.

Peace,

Suavy

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Suavy but i just went ahead and ordered one from ford, I appreciate the offer. But on that note I have some things I learned through this little fiasco, Don't buy the idlers from Napa they are about 25.00 and the ford idlers are 17.00 also the NAPA idlers have taiwan bearings in them and the ford doesn't. I replaced all the idlers including the accessory belt idlers and the belt. The one thing I didn't replace was the idlers on the tension arms. These will be replaced, I know I could pull them apart and regrease them but, WHY to save a couple bucks? Runs like a champ again. I also had a front seal go bye bye on the tranny luckily that's all that went...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hey Bill, do you have the part number for the ford idler?

My drivers side (blower) one is shot. I keep regreasing it to keep it alive which works. But it's still rough.

Rich

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
wydopnthrtl said:
Hey Bill,  do you have the part number for the ford idler?

My drivers side (blower) one is shot.  I keep regreasing it to keep it alive which works.  But it's still rough.

Rich
can't you just replace the bearing?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the part number at home I'll send it later and yes you can replace the bearing but at 17.00 ea I'll do that instead.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yeah a bearing is easily replaceable. But there is always the quality aspect of what your buying. A OEM bearing installed in the OEM pulley is gonna be dead nuts. An aftermarket bearing may be better, the same, or worse.

I'll take the $17 route and not worry.

Rich

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK here are the part numbers
Tensioner Idler F65Z-8678-AAA $17.50
Bolt and Washer for idler N811493-S309 $10.14
Idler bracket for blower idlers YL3Z-8B653-AA $84.85
Accessory belt JK8996AA or YC2Z-8620-EA $57.93 OUCH..........

there you go! you'll need 4 idlers for the accessory belt and the blower belt.

Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts