·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I reuse my current block in my truck for a build? FYI I have an 04 with 28K

·
I Miss My L
6,552 Posts
Not that it matters now, but in a long time these trucks will be very scarce to find with the factory block in them. A #'s matching L might not be worth jack s**t right now, but in about 100 years it will be. Just think of the # of blocks that get vented on a daily basis......

·
Banned
4,138 Posts
Can I reuse my current block in my truck for a build? FYI I have an 04 with 28K
Absolutely, as long

Not that it matters now, but in a long time these trucks will be very scarce to find with the factory block in them. A #'s matching L might not be worth jack s**t right now, but in about 100 years it will be. Just think of the # of blocks that get vented on a daily basis......
Only number I care about is the number on the side of my truck at the track Vs the number that has winner under it on my time slip.

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutely, as long

Only number I care about is the number on the side of my truck at the track Vs the number that has winner under it on my time slip.
As long????:smt102

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If my motor holds together next week, Im gonna reuse my motor.

·
I Miss My L
6,552 Posts
oh ok so just throw out what i said......so heck yeah reuse the block n throw forged internals in

·
Registered
452 Posts
There is no numbers matching anymore. Ford does not keep records like they used to.
I'm not sure exact engine numbers ever matched up with Ford. I know even the old cars ex. 1970 Boss 302 Mustang would only have the number in the vin of the engine type. There was nothing on a specific Cleveland block for example that matched it to any specific VIN. As long as you have a 5.4 block(with the supercharger) then technically it matches like you stated.

·
Undisputed Re-Post Master
14,354 Posts
Block and crank are fine to reuse. Keep it together!

Jim
Screw that. I figured for the extra money and sound piece of mind, I got a new crank as well....

Why reuse something when your building everything else new....

Plus no way I'd trust my old ass crank to push the power and handle the strain I'm going to put on it.....

Didn't Scuba Matt use his original crank when he built up his block?
Not saying that was the cause or point of failure, but it does leave one with questions.....

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Screw that. I figured for the extra money and sound piece of mind, I got a new crank as well....

Why reuse something when your building everything else new....

Plus no way I'd trust my old ass crank to push the power and handle the strain I'm going to put on it.....

Didn't Scuba Matt use his original crank when he built up his block?
Not saying that was the cause or point of failure, but it does leave one with questions.....
I've reused Rods, pistons, and cranks at one time or another in my builds. If it aint broke, dont fix it. No sense spending the coin if you dont have to. These builds are expensive enough without 100% new parts everytime.

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When the motor is torn down after the rental then I'll have the crank inspected

·
Registered
880 Posts
our stock forged cranks hold to 1500hp or so.

·
Falafel
1,159 Posts
My truck had 116k on the clock when we pulled the motor. Machinist took a look at the crank and couldn't believe how pristine it was. He said it was well within spec to use. $300 bought me my magnum powers idler bracket..

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think Im going with the JDM internals but may wait to see if they have an Xmas special. Heads are up in the are right now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts