Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to installing my Belltech Drop Spindles. While I had everything torn apart, I also cleaned and regreased the bearings, replaced the UCAs, Cam Bolts, and a new lower ball joint on the driver's side only. Truck seemed fine when I drove to the alignment shop this morning. After picking her this afternoon, there was a bad binding noise coming from what seems to be the front driver's side. I also finally installed my 03/04 20" reps with Nitto Invos.

With respect to the drivers side, the only problems I encountered during install of parts was a VERY tight fit for the front bushing on the Raybestos UCA (alignment shop echoed my sentiments) and I had to grind off part of the caliper ear on the spindle. As for the bearings, I did utilize the following procedure for seating the bearings:

1. Spin rotor while tightening/torquing spindle to 30 ft/lbs
2. Back spindle nut off two turns
3. Spin rotor in opposite direction while tightening/ torquing to
24 ft/lbs
4. Back spindle nut off two turns
5. Spin rotor while tightening/torquing to 17 in/lbs. For all intents and purposes, this is simply hand-tight. I did tighten to hand tight, but had to torque a little bit extra to align the castle nut with the cotter pin hole.

So, that being said, any suggestions on what is most likely the culprit before I start digging into it?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I finally got around to installing my Belltech Drop Spindles. While I had everything torn apart, I also cleaned and regreased the bearings, replaced the UCAs, Cam Bolts, and a new lower ball joint on the driver's side only. Truck seemed fine when I drove to the alignment shop this morning. After picking her this afternoon, there was a bad binding noise coming from what seems to be the front driver's side. I also finally installed my 03/04 20" reps with Nitto Invos.

With respect to the drivers side, the only problems I encountered during install of parts was a VERY tight fit for the front bushing on the Raybestos UCA (alignment shop echoed my sentiments) and I had to grind off part of the caliper ear on the spindle. As for the bearings, I did utilize the following procedure for seating the bearings:

1. Spin rotor while tightening/torquing spindle to 30 ft/lbs
2. Back spindle nut off two turns
3. Spin rotor in opposite direction while tightening/ torquing to
24 ft/lbs
4. Back spindle nut off two turns
5. Spin rotor while tightening/torquing to 17 in/lbs. For all intents and purposes, this is simply hand-tight. I did tighten to hand tight, but had to torque a little bit extra to align the castle nut with the cotter pin hole.

So, that being said, any suggestions on what is most likely the culprit before I start digging into it?
After I did my drop spindles I would hear binding/popping/clunking in the front end. I got some end links from Stiffler's and the noises went away. Their end links reposition the swaybar to the proper position. I don't know if this is your problem, but it sounds like what I had.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts