Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on replacing My shocks on my 03 Harley truck with Bilstein shocks, The truck is mostly stock suspension in the front The rear is lowered with JLP shackles JLP long bars, has a sway bar and Panhard bar. For the rear I bought the 24-185370 Rodeo shocks. My question for the front they make a 24-185189 Harley specific shock and a 24-187442 Lightning specific shock. Does any one know the difference or have any advice as to the better shock for my truck. The truck is low milage app 40,000 mile and driven on nice days, regular street driving onley. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have a set of QA1TS517 on the front of a 2000 Lightning and I like how the handle. I have a set of Bilstein on a 08 F250 Diesel Short bed CC and they work well, but in my opinion I believe the Bilsteins work better on the 150 pickups.Not answer your question completely just giving you info.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,544 Posts
I am planning on replacing My shocks on my 03 Harley truck with Bilstein shocks, The truck is mostly stock suspension in the front The rear is lowered with JLP shackles JLP long bars, has a sway bar and Panhard bar. For the rear I bought the 24-185370 Rodeo shocks. My question for the front they make a 24-185189 Harley specific shock and a 24-187442 Lightning specific shock. Does any one know the difference or have any advice as to the better shock for my truck. The truck is low milage app 40,000 mile and driven on nice days, regular street driving onley. Any advice would be appreciated.
the harley specific should account for the addional weight of the Harley and yield a better ride + longevity...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the harley specific should account for the addional weight of the Harley and yield a better ride + longevity...
That was my thought also, I figured it may have different valving in it because of as you say the added weight. Unfortunately I can't seem to find anything on the Bilstein sight that gives any specs. for their standard shocks. I really don't want to ruin the ride quality, The rear is plenty stiff as it is. The OE shocks are not leaking but figured they are 16 years old at this point, and new shocks may make some improvement. I often read that people were replacing the Harley shocks with the lightning specific shocks, when I started looking for part numbers I saw that they actually make three front shocks, Lightning only Harley and Blackwood and one for XL XLT and Lariat.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,544 Posts
the valving is what I was referring to

so yeah the Harley / Blackwood ones would get my vote

Reactions: chucksbp

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,528 Posts
HD's got regular f150 shocks. They are so soft and squishy the handling is sloppy.

The L spec bilsteins have a firmer valving than the HD bilsteins. The HD bilsteins will firm the ride up over stock f150 shocks though. Most prefer the L spec ones because they dampen quicker. It doesn't really make for a stiffer ride, that's more driven from your springs, but it makes for a faster dampened ride. So you hit that bump, most will feel the same on that initial hit, but the L spec will stop the wallowing faster than HD spec, and regular f150 ones will feel like a boat bobbing around lol.

So HD spec if you just want a little firmer than now, L spec if you want a little sportier. The ride will still be nice and not like driving a dump truck.

Reactions: chucksbp

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HD's got regular f150 shocks. They are so soft and squishy the handling is sloppy.

The L spec bilsteins have a firmer valving than the HD bilsteins. The HD bilsteins will firm the ride up over stock f150 shocks though. Most prefer the L spec ones because they dampen quicker. It doesn't really make for a stiffer ride, that's more driven from your springs, but it makes for a faster dampened ride. So you hit that bump, most will feel the same on that initial hit, but the L spec will stop the wallowing faster than HD spec, and regular f150 ones will feel like a boat bobbing around lol.

So HD spec if you just want a little firmer than now, L spec if you want a little sportier. The ride will still be nice and not like driving a dump truck.
Thanks for your explanation, that was my thinking but I do appreciate the affirmation. I guess now for the decision, I'm sure either would be an improvement over 16 year old stock shocks!!!!
Thanks to all for the help!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Reviving this thread since my truck is starting to get way too bouncing. So stock the hd didn’t have Billsteins? Is it still the consensus to get lightning shocks for hds? Truck is stock, I may lower the rear 2in if I ever get around to it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I put Bilsteins on my 02HD, purchased on ebay... Motorcraft AA608 (1L3Z181124AC) and 24-187459 rears. An amazing improvement in ride quality, but granted, I did replace 17 year old shocks (only had 27K miles on them). I also purchased shock mount bolt/washer Motorcraft AD1034, (Amazon, about 6.50 ea) as the shocks do not come with new mount bolts. Lastly, I took the time to gather a rear stabilizer (stock Lightning) set up and installed that as well... again, huge improvement... should have been done by the factory...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts