Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm window shopping online trying to throw together a list to build my lightning to 600whp and I have a few questions.
1)If I throw a set of indestructible connecting rods at the motor what part(s) will fail once I start turning up boost and start pressing for more HP? I'm aware that the stock rods have an aneurism at 450ish hp but I am totally unsure of what fails after that?
2) to get the tranny built for 600whp what kind of bill am I looking at not including labor?
3) would I need to go Whipple for my HP goal or is the stock Eaton plenty?
4) Would the stock heads work with a good cam as well or would modded heads be required.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I'm window shopping online trying to throw together a list to build my lightning to 600whp and I have a few questions.
1)If I throw a set of indestructible connecting rods at the motor what part(s) will fail once I start turning up boost and start pressing for more HP? I'm aware that the stock rods have an aneurism at 450ish hp but I am totally unsure of what fails after that?
2) to get the tranny built for 600whp what kind of bill am I looking at not including labor?
3) would I need to go Whipple for my HP goal or is the stock Eaton plenty?
4) Would the stock heads work with a good cam as well or would modded heads be required.
1) For 600whp, a off the shelf set of manley h beam rods will be plenty. No need for anything more expensive at 600whp. You will need pistons and arp head studs also.

2) Built transmission for 600whp will cost you $4500-5500 by the time you buy a converter. Labor not included.

3) Only a couple of trucks at most have made close to or around 600hp with a eaton. It takes a tremendous effort to make those numbers on a eaton. Whipple or kennebell is your best bet.

4) It wouldn't be worth it to go built with the bottom end, and not address the top end of the engine if your goal is 600whp. Get the heads ported and a set of cams to help the combo breath.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I’ll just give you my current build list.
Stock Crank (Kinetic Crank Bolt)
Manley H-beam Rods ARP bolts
Manley Pistons
TF Heads
ARP Head Bolts
Todd Warren Cams
2.9 Whipple 19psi
Full fuel system E85.

Trans was rebuilt 10k miles ago with better clutches. Punisher Valvebody & F250 Cooler.
Making 657whp/660tq reliably.

Made 4 roll race pulls back to back the other day vs a gutted Bolt-on E85 10r80 and walked it everytime.

Always good to be one step ahead and slightly over build. Because you’ll always want more power. And the last thing you want is $5k into the motor and you hurt it. Now you have to put another $5k into fixing it. When the first time you could have over built for reliability. But I’ve learned to live by the rule when you race you always brake something.

2018 F150 vs 2002 F150

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
If you dont have a lot of money, stay with the stock engine, get the eaton ported, 5lb-6lb lower, long tubes and valve body. Driveshaft loop and long bars (aka traction bars). You will have plenty of fun. Truck will hold its ground against a lot of vehicles, but wont cost you much compared to a full build.

My current engine alone is over $17,000 to build. I wish I had left it at what I recommended you just now. I had the most fun then, hardly ever worked on the truck etc. I haven't been able to enjoy my truck in 2 years. (this is built engine #3 in less than 20k miles)

A more off the shelf cookie cutter built engine done right will still run you $9500+.

Transmission is right around $5000-5500 for my current setup once my converter gets here. Its not even the best setup since I dont have billet input shaft and some other billet goodies.

Fuel system was over $3000 by the time you buy the injectors.

I paid $4000 for the blower back in 2013.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Without labor what did your build cost you? I would love to have numbers like yours reliably but it might be over budget. I'm young and I don't have adult money yet LOL.
It’s a lot honestly.
Supercharger-$4500
Longblock-$7000
Exhaust-$2000
Fuel System-$2500
Tuning-$1200

Still forgetting a ton of other supporting mods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts