Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing a ton of good about the 2.9 whipples. Are they better than any of the kenne bells for the lightning? And even the 2.3 whipple? It seems like there is a new go to around here.

My question is; is there any aftermarket blower that does as well as the 2.9 on the track and street?

·
Administrator
18,163 Posts
You can't go wrong with any of the twin-screw blowers currently available. What are your goals? How much do you want to spend?(I mean how fast are you willing to pay to go?). Stock cubes?

Every twin screw out there has been on a truck that has run 9s. So they all are capable of most everything a street truck needs.

Jim

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
I wouldn't implement either without spending the extra on an upgraded inlet elbow, big throttle body and intake.
Even if you don't plan to push it, its worth having the lower IAT2s from the unrestricted intake (i.e. more boost with less pulley)

·
JDM Built/KB 3.2
2,167 Posts
I'm seeing a ton of good about the 2.9 whipples. Are they better than any of the kenne bells for the lightning? And even the 2.3 whipple? It seems like there is a new go to around here.

My question is; is there any aftermarket blower that does as well as the 2.9 on the track and street?
I would say the 3.2 KB can do just as well as the 2.9 Whipple

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd honestly just like to make as much power that's reasonable for a street truck on pump gas without spending a retarded amount of money. And I know that the better the blower the more potential on pump gas.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can't go wrong with any of the twin-screw blowers currently available. What are your goals? How much do you want to spend?(I mean how fast are you willing to pay to go?). Stock cubes?

Every twin screw out there has been on a truck that has run 9s. So they all are capable of most everything a street truck needs.

Jim
Bored .030 over but yes, pretty much stock cubes.

·
Administrator
18,163 Posts
I'd honestly just like to make as much power that's reasonable for a street truck on pump gas without spending a retarded amount of money. And I know that the better the blower the more potential on pump gas.
Best bang for the buck is the Whipple 2.3. The intake it comes with matches it's performance pretty well negating the need to buy expensive aftermarket intakes. Many will be in the classifieds as some step up to the bigger 2.9. At least three of us have put the 2.3 Whipple into the nines on boost.

Jim

·
Registered
188 Posts
I wouldn't implement either without spending the extra on an upgraded inlet elbow, big throttle body and intake.
Even if you don't plan to push it, its worth having the lower IAT2s from the unrestricted intake (i.e. more boost with less pulley)
Wouldn’t opening up the intake be less boost? In a good way of course.

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
Wouldn’t opening up the intake be less boost? In a good way of course.
Back in the day on my little 2.0L M122, I switched from an adapter plate w/ Lightning sized single blade throttle body to a direct fit 170mm single blade and I picked up 3 PSI. No other changes to the setup.
I was glad for the increased boost and let it be...but if you're already running your target boost, this would allow you to decrease pulley ratio and have the same boost (less heat & rotating mass spinning the blower less).

I can only imagine the difference going from the baby 2.3 inlet with L throttle body to a sheet metal intake and big TB on a much larger 2.9 blower vs what I saw on the 2.0.

·
11 second street truck
9,928 Posts
Boost should never be the goal. Airflow is the goal. My 2.9 is going to make about the same "boost" while moving way more air.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah everything that I’ve see on here has be believing that when all things are equal, the less boost the better. Since boost is really a measurement of restriction.

Opening the intake causing more boost does make sense now that I think of it.

·
Former Rowing Team.
11,839 Posts
If you can score a deal on a used 2.3 whipple, that imo is very hard to beat. Low 11's and possibly 10's on pump gas.

2.9 cost a fortune and lacks 2-3k worth of custom inlet and TB. The 2.9 uses the same 2.3 inlet. Big kenne bells require firewall mods which isn't ideal imo. I have yet to see what 2.9s can do on pump gas. I assume it can do nearly the same power spun slower which means lower charge temps. But I haven't see logs posted.

How about 2.3 whipple and spray it via a stand alone fuel system with race fuel in the small fuel cell?

·
11 second street truck
9,928 Posts
If you can score a deal on a used 2.3 whipple, that imo is very hard to beat. Low 11's and possibly 10's on pump gas.

2.9 cost a fortune and lacks 2-3k worth of custom inlet and TB. The 2.9 uses the same 2.3 inlet. Big kenne bells require firewall mods which isn't ideal imo. I have yet to see what 2.9s can do on pump gas. I assume it can do nearly the same power spun slower which means lower charge temps. But I haven't see logs posted.

How about 2.3 whipple and spray it via a stand alone fuel system with race fuel in the small fuel cell?
Costs a fortune? Mine was 500 more than a new 2.3 with gen 4 rotors

·
11 second street truck
9,928 Posts
Compared to a used 2.3 which are usually available.
That's an unfair comparison. You're talking used vs new. The last used 2.3 I saw was only 800 less than my 2.9

·
Former Rowing Team.
11,839 Posts
It's fair to me. OP asked what's the best blower for pump gas. He did not state it had to be new. Prices do go up and down depending on seller. So it is IMO that a nice used 2.3 is a grear buy for pump gas for dollar per hp spent.

·
11 second street truck
9,928 Posts
Great buy != Best blower

1 - 20 of 53 Posts