Lightning Rodder banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
Not sure why yours is rough/bounces all over road with the Ford Racing/Groundforce drop kit. It is just rear shackles and a small spring cut down with factory spring rates. That needs to be figured out as your ride should be as it was stock.

Once sorted you can lower without changing much ride quality by removing front isolators and trimming or removing leafs.

Or you can spend a lot and get better handling by going Hotchkiss. It wont ride like stock, though,

Jim

·
Registered
290 Posts
so what will belltech hangers and the ground force shackles get me to in the rear. and would it need a notch? I have the ground force spring up front with stifflers uppers and lowers and qa1 singles all the way around. looking for it to sit exactly like dustens ! it also has full stifflers x brace long bars and trans mount and will get a panhard

·
10 second street truck
12,717 Posts
so what will belltech hangers and the ground force shackles get me to in the rear. and would it need a notch? I have the ground force spring up front with stifflers uppers and lowers and qa1 singles all the way around. looking for it to sit exactly like dustens ! it also has full stifflers x brace long bars and trans mount and will get a panhard
3.5-4"

I bet it's a shade lower than me

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think the one single thing that most improved the handling of my truck was where I started ..with dropping the front end mass 2 inches ..

lowering the rear, adding the hotchkiss bars.. none did as much for the truck as that 2 inches outta the front

and you're not gonna get a 4 inch drop in the rear with only shackles
- you're going to need the drop hangers too

after reading someone's post (here on site) about their frame notch .. the body shop called when replacing the box and he discovered the frame can be flexed way to much at the notch by simply lifting the back by hand
so that tells me the correct way
is to know how much is enough and how much is too much ..making you more a fool for cool than realistic

doing it right would mean adding to the frame and making space for that in the box
then you could go all the way to the ground if ya wanted to

a notch might be ok in a weekend ride ,car show mule,

but , un notched, after 8 years and about 90 000 km's daily driving
well ,....I have a cracked frame to prove my point - one inch of clearance to the rear bumpstops ain't enough

my lowered truck sports 380 000 klicks these days

·
10 second street truck
12,717 Posts
I think the one single thing that most improved the handling of my truck was where I started ..with dropping the front end mass 2 inches ..

lowering the rear, adding the hotchkiss bars.. none did as much for the truck as that 2 inches outta the front

and you're not gonna get a 4 inch drop in the rear with only shackles
- you're going to need the drop hangers too

after reading someone's post (here on site) about their frame notch .. the body shop called when replacing the box and he discovered the frame can be flexed way to much at the notch by simply lifting the back by hand
so that tells me the correct way
is to know how much is enough and how much is too much ..making you more a fool for cool than realistic

doing it right would mean adding to the frame and making space for that in the box
then you could go all the way to the ground if ya wanted to

a notch might be ok in a weekend ride ,car show mule,

but , un notched, after 8 years and about 90 000 km's daily driving
well ,....I have a cracked frame to prove my point - one inch of clearance to the rear bumpstops ain't enough

my lowered truck sports 380 000 klicks these days
What c notch? Who installed it?

A properly done c notch can add strength to the frame.

·
Registered
453 Posts
What c notch? Who installed it?

A properly done c notch can add strength to the frame.
no idea who posted / when it but it was here..somewhere

and I'd agree if "properly installed" includes a couple dozen stitch welds to both the inner and outer pieces

personally I'd like a substantially longer inner piece too

21 - 29 of 29 Posts