Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently my truck has a 1/2 ground force drop kit. Rides terrible and bounces all over the road. My truck has a rake to it still and I would like to have it leveled and lowered a bit more.
Can anyone give me some good brands to stick with when it comes to buying suspension kits. I also seen people doing coilover conversions but I don’t know much about it.

·
10 second street truck
12,718 Posts
Money no option? Ride most important

Stifflers uppers and lowers with coilovers.

Belltech shackles and hangers with a c notch.
This will easily net a 3/4 drop and look great.
Get some custom Viking rear shocks measured the correct length.

It will ride better than stock.

·
regular joe
2002 True Blue
2,008 Posts
To summarize what Dusten has said:

-how low do you want to be?
-street truck? Drag or road racing?
-budget? You could spend $1000 to $10,000

·
Slevin
1,095 Posts
The rough ride is going to be hard to get over once lowered.
One sad thing I've had to come to terms with, is that these are ~20+ year old TRUCKS. Its very costly to make it ride/handle not like a truck.

Hotchkis TVS is probably the best "kit" but it may not be the style you want. We need to know more of your goals to help make a determination.

·
Registered
453 Posts
after fixing a 2/4 ( L 1/3) drop that kinda failed miserably in back I have a new theory as to "best way"
granted I started with a lariet .. so it started 1 inch higher than a lightning

the 4 (3) inch drop in back left about the width of my thumb between the axle and bump stop
7 years of daily pounding cranked the frame all the way up to the top flange on the driver's side
oops
fix is (rear frame and)a set of +500 pound rear springs from rock auto .. I'd presume they are replacements for a 7700 series heavy half ton
I installed them at the same 4 inch drop figuring they would lift the truck some anyway
I haven't hit the rear bump stops in the year since..
the back of my truck lifted back up about an inch
it rides just fine - on factory size sidewalls (275 65 17)

at the front I'd like to replace my front drop springs with a cut set of 7700 series front coils.. though optimal ,and budget willing .. 7700 series coils, bell tec drop knuckles and the drop control arm set to accommodate the taller 7700 series spring..
increasing load capacity translates into making the same daily bumps,slightly smaller

·
10 second street truck
12,718 Posts
after fixing a 2/4 ( L 1/3) drop that kinda failed miserably in back I have a new theory as to "best way"

the 4 (3) inch drop in back left about the width of my thumb between the axle and bump stop
7 years of daily pounding cranked the frame all the way up to the top flange on the driver's side
oops
fix is (rear frame and)a set of +500 pound rear springs from rock auto .. I'd presume they are replacements for a 7700 series heavy half ton
I installed them at the same 4 inch drop figuring they would lift the truck some anyway

at the front I'd like to replace my front drop springs with a cut set of 7700 series front coils.. though optimal ,and budget willing .. 7700 series coils, bell tec drop knuckles and the drop control arm set to accommodate the taller 7700 series spring..
increasing load capacity translates into making the same daily bumps,slightly smaller
The correct fix is a fucking c notch.

·
10 second street truck
12,718 Posts

oops

Belltech drop spindles are a fucking terrible choice.

·
Registered
453 Posts
agreed the c notch is the way if ya gotta have that 4 inch drop

lightning springs might have saved some trouble ..granted too

I could live with the reduced turning radius with the bell tec spindles ..they are what they are but they give back a couple of inches of travel while preserving my "lowering job"
it's been over ten years and I'm kinda tired of riding the front bumpstops
budget ain't gonna cover arms.& spindles & springs this year but a hacked set of 7700 ones just hold me over till then ..yeah it's not my preferred method

it's got ground force / ford racing springs currently

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Money no option? Ride most important

Stifflers uppers and lowers with coilovers.

Belltech shackles and hangers with a c notch.
This will easily net a 3/4 drop and look great.
Get some custom Viking rear shocks measured the correct length.

It will ride better than stock.

its just a street truck. im looking for better handling at the moment. im not sure how much of a drop i would need but i would like to have the truck leveled in the back without doing any type of cnotch. my budget would be probably be around $3k
To summarize what Dusten has said:

-how low do you want to be?
-street truck? Drag or road racing?
-budget? You could spend $1000 to $10,000
as low as i can go without doing a c notch. its a street truck i wanna make it handle better and more enjoyable driving around the streets. i wouldn't want to speed more than $3k

·
10 second street truck
12,718 Posts
Honestly invest in the Hotchkis tvs.

A c notch is needed at the 4" mark. I have the TV's and shackles and am borderline needing a c notch. I have basically a 3/4 drop.

To level it I'd need a cnotch and I have other projects so it's staying as is.

I have a Hotchkis tvs.
Stifflers upper and lower arms with isolators in place.
Belltech shackles

Thats it for drop.

I also have belltech shocks extenders
Hotchkis 2.1 shocks
Stifflers long bars
A panhard bar
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Honestly invest in the Hotchkis tvs.

A c notch is needed at the 4" mark. I have the TV's and shackles and am borderline needing a c notch. I have basically a 3/4 drop.

To level it I'd need a cnotch and I have other projects so it's staying as is.

your truck is literally goals... perfect drop and the bbk with the wildwoods... lets trade
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts