Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys. I've been struck by my lightning. I love the truck but I have an engine noise. I read a lot checked and changed the plugs. All was well and still had the tapping noise cold. It started out faint and louder as time went on. I read lash adjusters are a big problem and knew the noise was on the passenger side. I decided Labor Day weekend pull the supercharger clean the nasty cooler and tackle the lash adjusters. I got the valve cover off and pulled the lifters one by one. They had oil in them and no spring tension like the new ones. I replaced all 8 and fired it up. Rattle rattle rattle. I cruised it everything seemed ok I baby it until it's to full operating temp all the time. I shut it off for 3 hrs and start it up the dreaded noise exists. I've been struck park the truck Monday and don't start it until Tuesday night. It still makes the rattle. Sometimes it lasts 2-5 seconds sometimes until it's completely up to operating temp. The oil pressure on the gauge is above the middle. What is the possibility the tensioner is bad, and what all should I buy so I don't have to tear into it all the time? I love the truck and it's a blast. I just hate the noise and not knowing if it's gonna be quiet quick or rattle 5mins until warm. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
362 Posts
The pressure gauge on your dash is literally a switch that means you have over like 4 psi. It is useless unless your pressure is so low engine damage is eminent.

You need to replace your timing Chain tensioners for the noise. Also the guides. And the chains since your already in there. That'll get rid of your noise. Common problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once it's warm it sounds like a sewing machine. I've been running 5w-20 motorcraft oil in it. I appreciate the help. Is there a port I can check oil pressure at?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Wherever your stock sender is. Probably by the oil filter or on drivers side of block? Can't remember.

But low oil pressure wouldn't show up as a tick. Your motor would sound fine until it spun a bearing.

It's your cam chain tensioner and guides making noise. They're worn out due to design flaws in projected longevity.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Doesn't go away when warm? Hmm... I'd test oil pressure and see what minimum spec is.

Then use Long screw driver or stethoscope to poke around the engine to find where it's loudest. It'll probably be in the valve
Train or under the front timing cover.

Could still be a cam chain tensioner and guides. Especially if your guides are gone enough that you're noise you're hearing is your timing chains scrape on your front cover.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It goes away when it is warm. When it's cold it sometimes makes the noise and sometimes it doesn't. I'm at a loss with it. Where would be the best place to get the chains tensioner sand followers?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts