Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i've removed the hitch, i'll remove the tailgate, but i'd like to remove the 3/4 seat this time.

i tried to remove it when i got to the track last time, but damn, i can't even get the nuts off of the 2 inside ones(closest to the driver). there doesn't appear to be enough room b/t the floor and the bottom of the bolt itself. what tool are you guys using to remove it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
It takes a T-55 to get all of the bolts out. There are no nuts to remove.
The bolts on the center were a pain to get out, but you can still get them. Make sure you remember which bolts go where as they are different lengths... I am going to have fun remembering which ones go where.
I removed quite a bit of weight on my truck. I removed the washer bottle, wipers, pass. seat, front sway bar, spare, hitch, bedliner, bed cover, and tailgate. The truck definitely seemed to grow taller without all the weight :sad:

·
Registered
228 Posts
weight reduction

After you removed all that weight did it run faster anything change et,60'

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like an awful lot of work to do all that? I would rather bolt on stuff to make it go faster than tinker around putting it in and back out all the time....

My suggestion is to hit the big items like the trailer hitch. The old ratio was like .1 for every 50# or something like that... The hitch is your largest weight source I would think. There are also different schools of thought on the tailgate/bedcover deal...there is a newer post on here about it. I pretty much run mine full weight now with aftermarket soft tonneau cover, bedliner and spare/hitch. I did pull the jack though.

The spare and hitch are gonna go when I get some new treads/traction bars, but I need the weight over the ass end until then to get traction on my current tires...

Best of luck with it all, hope you see some gains for the pain in the neck!

Charlie

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: weight reduction

Bill Jordan said:
After you removed all that weight did it run faster anything change et,60'
I picked up .2 from all the weight I had removed. None of the parts go in and out.... I just drive it that way. The pass. seat is the only thing that I could seeing going in and out, but I don't have a need for that.... I like not having it as it gives me so much more room in the cab :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm guessing the T55 is a specific socket or wrench. could you tell me exactly what it looks like. pic's are great too.

i'm hopeing that dropping this weight, plus the t/b's and nitto's will net me a 1.8 or better 60'. right now i'm hitting 1.9's.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts

I've taken mine out Twice, and it is a PITA. But by moving the seat,
you can pretty easily get to them all.

I'm going to attempt to run with it in Saturday the first run
and see if I'm going to bother taken it out for a 2nd pass ?
Your hitch is out, so all you can really do is lose the Spare Tire, Jack,
empty your tool box if it's filled with a 100 lbs of crap like mine.
Jack the front tires up to @45PSI, maybe take the radiator shroud off
for a MPH or so improvement.

BEST OF LUCK BRO :smt023

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, i've been running 45#'s in the fronts, and around 20#'s in the rear f1's.

what are you guys running in the nittos. in the stang, i run about 16#'s.

when you say radiator shroud, are your refering to the plastic part that is on top of it.....the big plastic peice that sits infront of you as you pop the hood?

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Ya,
V and Captain took mine off at English Town when I ran the 11.81.
Lots seem to either drill it, or remove it. The thought is the air coming
through the grill hits it and it cant go no where, so it slows you down.
This is why we have a few Brothers that actually close off the Upper Grill when racing.

With it removed, I guess the air can go up and over the motor and
escape out of the engine compartment easier
OR SOMETHING ??? hehehehehe :smt102

Sometimes it's the little things, other times it's head games I think.
The day I FINALLY removed my Hitch, is the same day I GOT MY FIRST
12 sec run (after months of 13.1-13.3)

The first time I ever removed my Seat and did this trick, was the same
day I ran the 11.81, WOO HOO

I'm thinking of removing the windshield and rear window next time
[smilie=laugh.gif]

·
Registered
30 Posts
CHIZ said:
i'm guessing the T55 is a specific socket or wrench. could you tell me exactly what it looks like. pic's are great too.

i'm hopeing that dropping this weight, plus the t/b's and nitto's will net me a 1.8 or better 60'. right now i'm hitting 1.9's.
Eliminating the weight will not net you the better 60' times. The best thing that you can do is get the traction bars, and the sticky tires on. To be on the safe side, I would also suggest a driveshaft loop just in case (PSP has a nice one that is also cheap). 60' time is all about weight transfer and traction. If you want great 60's, remove the front sway bar, and set your traction bars so that they are always in contact with the front leaf spring eyelet. You will net great 60' times doing that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
care to guess my new times?

i've got the lakewoods sitting on the springs, and i just got a set of nitto d/r (305's). since we're going today, i haven't had time to find the tool, so i'll just leave the seat in.

this is what i have:
FTVB
Lakewood T/B
Nitto DR's

i'll have alittle over 200lbs removed.

everytime i've went, i've ran nothing but 13.4's, b/f the t/b's and DR's.

anyone care to guess what i'll run this time?

13.3? maybe 13.2?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts