Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about grinding down stock calipers for people and sending them back to them. What would you guys pay not to do it? They could be powder coated as well whatever color they wanted as well.

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
In.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I don't need mine done but having done it I'd say $50 would be a fair price for both sides plus they pay shipping both way.

If your going to be doing a few sets might want to set yourself with a jig and a rim to make sure they all fit before shipping back to the person and keeps you from having to rear your truck tire etc all the time.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Joey, you really need to have the rim when you do it to check clearance. Thoughts??

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No way I'd do 50 a pair that's crazy I'd get a 100 a side. Ya idk I've done it for another guy he was fine with the fitment. It takes like 2 hours a side and it's hard work by no means an easy task. Every bit of it sucks

·
Registered
687 Posts
It is hard. Definitely worth more then 50...
I would say 100 for both sides then cost of powder coating...
Joe I don't think it's worth your time it sucks doing them. Lol

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
Sorry for the ambiguous post Joey, when I said "in" I meant "in" before a moderator chimes in to direct you to Rule #4 of the site rules.

For me the service isn't worth shipping cost but seldom do I let other people work on my trucks and I hate paying someone to do something I can do myself. Grinding isn't a technical skill like upholstery, paint/body, fiberglass, welding, carpentry, etc. Grinding is something most guys can handle themselves.

I also had the same thoughts about possible clearance issues as dude lightning. I've read more than one account where someone ground them down only to find they needed to remove more material when they attempted to mount the wheels.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't know that was a thing. But I would double check the clearance before shipping but u guys are prob right not worth the time

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
The whole thing just outright sucks. Covering the truck with plastic (or in Brads case, blue tape [smilie=om) finding a place to grind where the metal dust is not a problem and gets rusty in the driveway when wet, grinding down so close that the piston is almost exposed. Hell I would not do it for $300 per side. Mine are so close that when I launch the rim flexes and the caliper scuffs the rim a little. Don't care, I am not grinding anymore.:smt013

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts
Every rim is different bud, when owner gets calibers back they might have to grind some.

·
Administrator
18,571 Posts
If you grind them enough to fit Racestars, they will fit any Bogart. But if you grind down calipers for profit, make sure you have real good insurance or nothing in your name. An accident causing bodily harm blamed on modified brakes would fetch you some real big trouble.

Jim

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
In case it isnt clear, this is a bad idea and it wont work out for the best.
It is unsurprising, but in any case....please dont do it in attempt to prove us wrong.

Not all setups will be the same. Grinding them to garuntee fit on all applications could be problematic. Some have overdone it, and caused leaks/failures

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,677 Posts
Definitely not worth the effort! Even at $100 a side it's a lot of work for the money and time and mess, and little guarantee it'll even fit when done. I've had at least 6 different sets of bogarts on my truck over the years, and every single set has fit slightly differently where every single time I've swapped, I've had to touch up the calipers with the grinder to clear. Bogarts egg shape extremely easily, so even just mounting new tires will bend the rims ever so slightly enough that it'll rub differently.

Although as said above if you grind them to fit racestars it'll clear any bogart, but now you're talking even MORE grinding, and getting into that iffy territory of breaking through into the cylinder area, and although it may clear any bogart, you're in the samecase for any other race star, it may fit it may not.

Lastly, it's more than just the caliper that needs to be ground down. The caliper mounting bracket also needs to be ground down, which unless people are pulling axles to swap pre-ground mounting brackets, in those cases they may as well do the "JDM-Mod" and get the brackets machined to move inwards and not have to grind the calipers anywhere near as far. The brake pads also require grinding to shave the ears way down, or practically off in the case of race stars.

Oh and one last thing, I'd never even entertain the idea of powdercoating. PC is pretty thick compared to paint, so that's even less clearance, and one little scrape and the PC is ruined. I've never even painted my rear calipers up nicely because they still rub here and there, and I just touch them up with a shot of black rattle can.

Every rim is different bud, when owner gets calibers back they might have to grind some.
All these years and you still keep mixing the two up lol

Redrum is talking about brake calipers......NOT a caliber....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
^ I almost pointed that out last night, but knew you would be along shortly and love to bring that out

pretty sweet little caliber there too

·
Panty Dropper
5,911 Posts
^ I almost pointed that out last night, but knew you would be along shortly and love to bring that out

Ditto, although my mind was thinking ammunition.

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,677 Posts

lol I never miss an opportunity! haha

And thanks, it's a fun little DD!

Ditto, although my mind was thinking ammunition.
haha I think I've posted that version too in the past

1 - 16 of 16 Posts