Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
regular joe
2002 True Blue
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a local shop relocated my battery. I told them i wanted it inside the rear frame rail. I bought a drop down battery box holder and a new battery. When I picked my truck up, they relocated the battery to under the cab. When I asked why it wasnt relocated to the rear of the truck like I asked i was told "we needed to keep the grounds as close to the engine as possible."

Since I have never done this project and never heard that line before....I am coming here to ask....am I being fed some BS or is this a true statement?

Thanks

·
re-born
5,988 Posts
I had a local shop relocated my battery. I told them i wanted it inside the rear frame rail. I bought a drop down battery box holder and a new battery. When I picked my truck up, they relocated the battery to under the cab. When I asked why it wasnt relocated to the rear of the truck like I asked i was told "we needed to keep the grounds as close to the engine as possible."

Since I have never done this project and never heard that line before....I am coming here to ask....am I being fed some BS or is this a true statement?

Thanks

BS because a lot of us put our battery where the spare tire used to be.

·
Snail Powered
7,830 Posts
grounding is an issue but usually doesn't pop up till you reach higher hp and have higher demands from your electrical system. but at that point you can just add grounds which is no big deal and you can still have your battery where you want it.

·
regular joe
2002 True Blue
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
interesting.

I dont have any crazy HP, but I do have quite a bit going on with my electrical system. Since I am not racing, I guess where it is, is fine.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Poor driver mod
1,414 Posts
Yeah thats bs.

It can go all the way back with out any issues, yes they would have to use a larger(or more then one) ground cable, but its very doable. I would ask them why they either did not call and ask for permission to do it other then asked, or just tell you they cant do it.

You asked them to do A, they did B, I would not pay them for it. Until they did it right.

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,683 Posts
They slapped it where it was easiest for them is my guess.

and you don't need to run any ground cables from the front to the rear. The chassis is GROUND, so all you need is a solid connection point from the battery to the frame, and your frame rail is about the equivalent of about 2 dozen 1/0 cables ran down the side of the truck :p LoL

·
Bracket maker
3,982 Posts
Everyone is correct..I have my battery under my bed in the old spare tire spot with lots of electrical draw from extras and a big stereo with no ground problems. Just BS if u ask me...sounds like they were new to this kind of project.

·
JDM Built/KB 3.2
2,175 Posts
I am having JDM do mine shortly. They will be locating it under the bed, between where the spare tire mounts and the rear bumper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts