Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am probally going to need new fuel pumps as the way my a/f ratio is reading weird like a heart beat moniter. Here is the link to the dyno sheet

http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6632

Talked to a few people and they think I need to upgrade fuel pump's and see if that helps. My best run was with the chip on race side did 359 and street side did only 342. The guy that runs the dyno shop said to come back when I get the problem fixed and he would let me run a few more time's to see were it's at then.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes, those numbers appear quite low. How long since you swapped your fuel filter? I could not see the dyno sheet on the link.

I know that 500 rwhp is beyond the stock pumps/injectors as I just lost a motor to that one. But with you mods if everything is in good operating order I'd guess it would be fine.

Jody

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Ya linky no work :sad:

AWESOME LIST OF MODS BRO, WOO HOO :smt023
What kind of ET's are you getting with the Gears/Convertor/Trans Mod's ?

But I'm with Jody on this one, for a 4lb pulley you ARE NOT past or too close to the factory Fuel systems limit "YET"
Isn't that 95 MAF the one many had tuning prob's with ???

I dyno'd over 500/600 with an A/F of 10.nothing, (with a 100% stock fuel system). L's usually WILL NOT run out of fuel
til you go KB/Magnum "or" maybe when running 8lbs of pulley. I'd look for the trouble in the MAF, Clogged Filter/Injector,
or simply the tune ?
Do you have the old MAF to try ?

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the dyno sheet

Here is the dyno sheet. I am not sure if I just got a bad tune or what. Im going to call SAL on monday and see what he says. I know the truck had ruffly 370 hp before I added the ported blower. I told sal to keep a/f ratio safe on both sides of the cihp. I don't have the original maf, I bougth the truck used with all the mods on it. I was talkin to a guy last night and said iti's a bad fuel pump and or filter. I will see about getting my injectoers cleaned and save the cash on the fuel pumps. But im now woried about putting it back on the dyno after just some injectors cleaned. Last dyno the a/f ratio was steady around 13 but that was due to the tool not staying in the tailpipes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
BlackBeast, if I had to guess and this is what I am doing because I was not there when you ran it. I would say that this is caused by two different things.

The first one is the MAF, by the looks of this A/F chart I woudl say that the MAF is spiking and then the engine is reducing the fuel to the motor and then it is seeing a lean condition and then it isincreasing the fuel to the motor.

The second one is I would suggest pulling the injectors it is not hard and I would make sure that the injectors are not clogged.

Before you replace the fuel pumps if you are going to be at Ennis on the 24th of this month I will be more than happy to scan the fuel system for you with my tool and tell you if the pumps are getting the correct votage in and out this will tell you if the pumps are good or not.

I would venture to say that this is not the fuel pumps but then again I was not there and if it was the fuel pumps you would have heard a strain from the rear of the truck. Kind of like a little wine but you would to have been listening for it.

This is just my .02 I am not an expert by any means just I have been down this road and I will be changing my pumps and injectors here shortly.

I am going to go with the Walbro pumps and the 60# injectors so I will not have to do this again.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Bro that CAN NOT possibly be right

Again I would look at the MAF

BUT

Here's my number one question
HOW IS THE TRUCK RUNNING ??? My guess is fine.....

I bet the Dyno or a Connection was screwed up
You have a nice steady constant gain of Power, and it's a nice
smooth build up. I refuse to believe the HP and Torque developed
and built up "that smooth and even" with an AF jumping all over like that.

My Guess
FAULTY DYNO RESULTS

My opinion, (and very cheap and quick to do)

Pull Chip out, and put back in, (making sure it's in good)
Change Fuel Filter
Buy ""A GOOD"" Injector Cleaner and put a can in the tank
Buy a good $20.00 - $40.00 in racing fuel
Drive the truck around a week

AND GO TO A DIFFERANT DYNO :D
I believe you WILL NOT be disappointed :smt023

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Rob

Rob why did it not suprise me that you would have a answer like that. I am glad you are a part of the site. I will try that and see, but one question why the race fuel?

I will be heading to autozone for some good injector cleaner this afternoon and a full tank of 93 octane. I had added some booster into it to help get it up to 102 octane for side two of the chip but I don't think that would have anything to do with the way it ran on the dyno.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Many use Race fuel while doing a Dyno,
I now TRY to use it as often as possible on the street, even if I mix
some 93 on top of it between trips to the Racing Fuel.

Better octane equals better performance, and using a new station and
better Octane eliminates one more possibility (bad gas, HAPPEN TO ME)

My thought is, A Dyno (IMO) is like taking your truck to the track,
They run it up through the Gears, and then give it all it has, Man my schitt was screaming with 4+2 Pulley
+ Ported Eaton + The Wizard Nitrous flowing 75HP. Scared the schitt
out of me, watching it go @125 MPH and 5500 RPM
YOU USE RACE FUEL AT THE TRACK RIGHT ??? ;)

By running it through the Truck a few days, and even if you add 93
later, the day you Dyno you can be pretty dam sure you have a nice
octane level ;) No biggy if you don't add any, but if you have some local, I'd add it just to make sure the stations aren't using winter additives yet,
or something that MAY BE clogging a Filter or Injector.

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fuel Prssure is okay

I changed to a brand new fuel filter, put in the injector cleaner, checked fuel pressure and nothing wrong. Im getting 32 psi at idel and 45 at almost full throttle as afraid to go full throttle again till I know it's safe.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Better safe than sorry, now you can eliminate that :smt023
Is it running good ??? Sounds like you got the correct flow of fuel

It really could be as simple as a bad connection or faulty Dyno reading,
is it worth calling the Dyno place back and asking if thats POSSIBLE ?

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The dyno is fine

The guy who ran his Harley Davidson after me was fine, he had a steady a/f ratio and power increase so it is my truck not the dyno. I faxed my dyno sheet to sal yesterday and waiting to hear back from him and see what he thinks is wrong.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have an 04 L. This weekend I put in a 4#der and A Dante Modular performance Valve Body. I have my filter box bottom cut out and a KN Filter. And that's it. Monday I went to Swanson Performance out her in So. Calif. and I had Danny put in a preditor revolution and with his own tune put into it. I pulled 4X's for him to adjust my A/F and I consistantly pulled 397 RWHP and 484 torque,that's at the (SAE rating). The STD(standard rating) was 407 RWHP and 497 Torque. He was great and he knew his stuff.

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
May have found the a/f ratio and power problem.....

I found a vacum hose that I have been trying to find were it goes and finlay found it. The hose that connects from the boost dump accurator to the inlet pipe was not connected. I thought it had allways been connected but apperently it was always hooked up so I pluged it in and will see what happens saturday at the dyno.

·
Registered
186 Posts
didn't read the above post, but some people were having problems with his ported blowers not makeing what it should (compared to apten).
later
chiz

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My mods that I have result in a low hp reading....

Im running LFP Ported Blower,JLP Ram Air,95MAF,C&L Inlet,Accufab TB,4# Lower,Pace Setter Shorties,FTVB,2400 Stall,4:10's,PSP Flip Chip,JDM Silver Bullet.... so only putting up 342 on the street side of the chip and 359 on the race side of the chip the HP numbers are really low. Anthonth at jdm said with just a 4# lower and ported blower should be right around 400 with a tune.

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is the hp still off?

Went back to the dyno after getting that hose pluged in and not sure If I am correct or not? Put up a 362hp and 379tq on the street. I put down a 376hp and 404tq on the race side is that correct? The a/f ratio was all hooked up and working but this time it had a line across the board but was a hash line vs. a solid line :smt017

1 - 16 of 16 Posts