Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Well hell... there was one guy that did a 6 speed cobra-r tranny conversion in to a gen 2... Thomas, I think you need an AWD setup behind that new turbo setup you are getting for you L :shock:

:D

-Chris

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, now that I think about it... AWD, turbocharged... I'm totally putting an STi or Evo wing on the truck. [smilie=discomonkey.gif]

Seriously, though. The thought of nailing the throttle from a stop, in a turbocharged, all-wheel drive Lightning just makes me shiver.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Duende said:
Well, now that I think about it... AWD, turbocharged... I'm totally putting an STi or Evo wing on the truck. [smilie=discomonkey.gif]
[smilie=ugh2.gif]

:D :D :D
LOL!!! [smilie=omgrofl.gif]

Duende said:
Seriously, though. The thought of nailing the throttle from a stop, in a turbocharged, all-wheel drive Lightning just makes me shiver.

I AGREE! Last Thursday, I was out crusing in the L with a bud venturing out to one of the spots were I met up with another buddy of ours that owns
a killer buick gn!!!! FAWK! He was at a stop and launched that fawker and it was gone (sideways and all). He has a new turbo setup on it and added a line lock to his arsenal of mods!

I can imagine an AWD/TURBO's L launching... You all will have to excuse me I am feeling kinda wooooooooozyyyy... :D

-Chris

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Pros
All weather driving/ more traction

The Cons
more weight
more parts to break
tire wear
more difficult to service
clearance problems and still keep low profile
smokey burnouts effect vision
Did I mention more weight
Many cubic dollars
Voids the warranty :D

I have enough problems without trying to create them intentionaly.
Best of luck if you decide to go through with it.
G

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is a great idea, and if the parts are available from the Navi's then it should cut down on cost.

Really all the modern AWD is, is a computer controlled transfer case that sends power to front and back depending on slippage. They really don't hang any lower for the lowered vehicles. The front axle pumpkin would be the low point with trying to fit it under the cramped front end, but shouldn't pose too many problems other than selective driveshaft placement.

Computer controlled 4WD the new wave of technology...my wife has it on her Sport Ute and it rocks...can't break the tires loose in rain or snow. It just goes, and goes straight!

As far as weight, there are some concerns since you need a front axle, and an AWD case but as heavy as our trucks are and as much power as they put out it shouldn't be too hard to overcome that weight.

I would like to see more on this if someone did develop a kit (which it looked like the man himself Gregg has done it again.) Hope he can find all his stuff on it and people can see about taking it to the next level...

Nothing like smoking all 4 tires in the burnout box!!! That would turn some heads!

Oh, and a word on tire wear...mine are bald as hell anyway, can't see AWD doing anything different...maybe wear better since better traction and not cutting them loose all the time...and most people waived bye-bye to a warranty the day the turned the first nut on their L.

The key to the AWD kit would be dependability, not having to tinker all the time and replace bad seals, etc.

Cheers! [smilie=drunk.gif]

Charlie

·
Registered
15 Posts
You could also look into a 4WD Lightning. Just use 4hi while drag racing. Thats what the guy who has the 10 sec Chevy 1500 does..runs 10.80's on stock firestones. He just puts in 4hi when its time to race then drops it back into 4low. Truck loooks sorta stock from the outsude and he has Allison trans from the HD GM line. Hes going for 9's with a 6.0 turbo stroker..all in 4wd. Whent he 97 F150 first came out someone built a 4wd blown f150 that ran high 10's low 11's if i rememeber. Im pretty sure it was a stang builder/racer as well. It was in a few magazines..was maroon in color if anyone else remembers it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts