Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I signed up to compete in an autocross this month through my job. My understanding is that they are trying to get a group together for a annual event. The local SCCA is helping with the event. Today I got an email saying my vehicle has been flagged for either being to long or to top heavy. I have asked for clarification.
Anyway... has anybody else had this problem?

·
Open hood, insert money.......
785 Posts
Yes... if they've never had a Lightning compete, all they see is F150.... meaning, a pickup truck. I had the same happen to me. Once they actually saw what it was, there were no problems. It's a pickup truck, yes, but not a "typical" one....

·
Registered
53 Posts
I used to have that happen occasionally on road courses as well. Oddly enough those were likely the same people that would come by the pits after because they had to see why a pickup truck lapped them out on the track.

You might have to do a little upfront explaining (send in a photo or two), but you should be fine.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
sports car people cant wrap their heads around a truck matching their performance, but many sanctioned racing bodies are concerned with weight at speed, as many barriers are not designed to slow a 4,500lb object.
my Favorite was drag racing, a buddy was kicking everyones butts in a full size, full weight(back seats & all) 9 pass. wagon, the competition wanted to have him banned due to the safety/weight issues, He brought it into the weight class they required, & destroyed them LOL

·
Registered
533 Posts
Same here.

<-----------

Some weren't even sure what a lightning was, but mentioned they did have dakota r/t once. They had different views once I placed mid pack in times. First time out.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I got another email from them and I have been removed from the entry list. I was really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
BDAZSVT - suggest you attend the event in your truck and ask to speak with the event chairman. Ask the chairman to make an exception based on an inspection of your truck. Nicely tell him that the SCCA National Office has and does allow the SVT lightning to run at Nationals in the CAM-C and ESP classes. I have been running SCCA for 4 years with no issues. Keep in mind the local event chairman has the final call on this matter but you can always contact the National office for help if needed.

Rule book here: http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/site_assets/000/011/076/original.pdf?1440603274

2015 SCCA National Solo Rules
3.1 Eligible Vehicles
"vehicles with wheelbases exceeding 116" may be excluded by the event chairman if he determines, at his discreation, that they cannot readily negotiate the course" and "the overall vehicle height with average track width relationship of (1:1)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well I got another email from them and I have been removed from the entry list. I was really looking forward to it.
What region in Indiana are you racing in? I've ran in Fortwayne SCCA and Indianapolis SCCA and they both welcomed me. I was put into the FS class and later into the ESP class and never was questioned.

And I can't see them disqualifying you for weight or length. A hefty driver in a challenger or charger could out weigh a lightning lol. Even more so if they have a passenger.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pro71bird I may just do that. The guy I have been dealing with asked for a picture of it.

cowsrkool I am in the Evansville SIR region. I haven't seen or heard of them doing an autocross in the immediate area for years so I was thinking it would be fun.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Pro71bird I may just do that. The guy I have been dealing with asked for a picture of it.

cowsrkool I am in the Evansville SIR region. I haven't seen or heard of them doing an autocross in the immediate area for years so I was thinking it would be fun.
2015 SCCA Rule book page 34 there is a chart to show you acceptable height to width ratios. A lightning's 65" track width and 70" height falls within the unacceptable ratio. Looks as though it was acceptable in 2014 though... :smt013 If you are lowered 5" from stock you should be ok though.

Hope this helps.

http://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules
http://www.fordlightning.com/statistics.htm

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
take care that your oil doesn't climb the walls and you lose oil pressure

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys!

I hope to hear the final answer Tuesday. I was really looking forward to it, now I am unsure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts