Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Falafel
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with all the recent advancements in radio technology (Screen Mirroring, Android Auto, SIRI eyes free etc) I've been wanting to upgrade the truck's head unit to something that will bring me into 2015. I already have a Kenwood DNX6190 that im happy with but its 6 years old and I'm looking for something that will allow me to connect my Android phone flawlessly. I'm also looking for an HD screen and built in navigation. Any of you'se guys got any recommendations? It will also be controlling a sub box as well.

·
Panty Dropper
5,908 Posts
Sub'd. Looking for something that will support IOS and the iPhone 6, as the last I heard the app radio doesn't.

Hopefully we can get some good suggestions here, as I'm sure what works for you will work for me.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have the pioneer avic-8000nex
Connects to my iPhone6+ also mirrors the phone screen. You will need the apple adaptor for the hdmi to lightning cable but I love it. It did not work very well when I had my note 3. Maybe they fixed the issues with the 8100nex

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,406 Posts
I have the AppRadio3, worked great with my iPhone4, but not sure if it'll work with iPhone6. It does work with all Androids (of course!). Thinking about selling it... on the fence. All I really wanted was GPS, BT hands-free phone, maybe rear camera, waze?

·
Panty Dropper
5,908 Posts
Connects to my iPhone6+ also mirrors the phone screen. You will need the apple adaptor for the hdmi to lightning cable but I love it. It did not work very well when I had my note 3. Maybe they fixed the issues with the 8100nex
I think that uses the Carplay someone else had mentioned. You brought up the adapter, does that charge the phone or do you just prefer that to Bluetooth?

·
Falafel
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sucks to hear cause everywhere im reading the 8100NEX is the way to go. But Ive got a Note 3 as well and if it doesnt work well with it then im going to unhappy with it.

·
Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
1,433 Posts

·
Falafel
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From the little I know...there are two "Top of the Line" 2 DIN navigation head units.

Kenwood Excelon DNN992 Navigation receiver with Wi-Fi® and Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX Navigation receiver

Each one has it's pros and cons. I like Garmin, Do you want your HU to supply Wi-Fi®? Do you want Android Auto or Apple CarPlay? Would you like to use Waze?

Funny enough Ive read the same articles online and come to the conclusion its going to be either one of those.. LoL
The only thing steering me to the Pioneer is the people complaining about how complicated it is to use the Kenwood. And judging by how long it took me to figure out my DNX6190 I can understand that statement. 6 years later and it still takes me forever to find the Subwoofer On/Off button.

·
Panty Dropper
5,908 Posts
That 8100NEX looks badass but $800 :bolt

·
Falafel
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That 8100NEX looks badass but $800 :bolt
The 4100NEX is the same radio but cheaper and without the built in gps. You can even hook up an Apple and Android device together at the same time.

·
1,433 Posts
Finally getting around to upgrading my Head Unit to a eXcelon Kenwood DDX9902S
This unit is VERY similar to a Kenwood DDX9702S - 5 vs.7 band EQ, Preout 4v vs. 5v etc.

This HU works with Apple CarPlay and androidauto

True Mirroring with HDMI / MHL
Connect your smartphone via HDMI/MHL to mirror its display on your receiver. Operate your smartphone applications with the receiver touch panel.

Even though I have a iPhone I can use Waze with a HDMI cable
Wireless requires an Android phone

Wireless Mirroring Ready
Your smartphone display can be transmitted to your KENWOOD receiver wirelessly by connecting the optional KCA-WL100 Wireless display adapter.

HU, cables and XM receiver ordered...waiting on delivery and install.

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,406 Posts
I'm told that with the _correct_ iPhone6 special HDMI cable the APPRadio3 will work using the newer Pioneer Software and firmware. If I keep the truck, I will probably do this, but its winter storage or sell time right now so I'm not bothering. I will note that the AppRadio has no issues that I know of with Androids.

·
1,433 Posts
The only thing steering me to the Pioneer is the people complaining about how complicated it is to use the Kenwood. And judging by how long it took me to figure out my DNX6190 I can understand that statement. 6 years later and it still takes me forever to find the Subwoofer On/Off button.
I have to say my last HU was very complicated to find stuff. It was never intuitive and it was very confusing and cumbersome to locate and configure any settings.

The Kenwood 9902s is very easy and well grouped and it seems natural where configurations settings are located and configuring the settings is very straight forward.

I must say that with this one...Audio, Input & System settings seem to be easy to maneuver & in logical order. Everything seams easy & feels like it's where it belongs.

I just change the opening splash screen...

·
1,433 Posts
So with all the recent advancements in radio technology
(Screen Mirroring, Android Auto, SIRI eyes free etc)
I've been wanting to upgrade the truck's head unit to something that will bring me into 2015.
I already have a Kenwood DNX6190 that i'm happy with but its 6 years old and I'm looking for
something that will allow me to connect my Android phone flawlessly.
I'm also looking for an HD screen and built in navigation.
Any of you'se guys got any recommendations?
It will also be controlling a sub box as well.
I will say that the Kenwood 9902s has accomplished all these things for me.

Screen Mirroring
Wireless Mirroring Ready (Android)
Your smartphone display can be transmitted to your KENWOOD receiver wirelessly
by connecting the optional KCA-WL100 Wireless display adapter.

HDMI setting
I'm able to do mirroring with my iPhone using a HDMI cable and Lightning Digital AV Adapter
This allows me to do HBO GO, Netflix, and many others.
I found HBO GO uses cell signal or wi-fi. What does that mean? I can stream movies without wi-fi.

APPs screen button
There is also APPS on the main screen and this allows me to run ANY app that is on my iPhone.
Some apps I'm even able to control from the HU screen.
I can move around on any map but the two finger spread zoom in doesn't work via the HU.

Apple Carplay and Android Auto
This is a simple as plugging in the cable. In my case USB to Lighting and pressing the Carplay button
Switching to Android is a simple as switching the USB cable, plugging it into your Droid phone and pressing Android Auto

What does this mean? One USB cable from the HU to the glove box. One wire change and you're good to go.

Siri
Yes, Siri works like a champ...
I use the English (Australia) > Australian (female) voice. It seems a lot more pleasant.

GPS
Although there is no "built-In" GPS (my first choice was the built in Garmin)
I'm very happy with the abilities using my iPhone via APPS for Google maps and Waze.
If you are using a Droid phone then Google maps comes up as part of Android Auto.
There is an external GPS antenna that you plug into the HU. This enhances the reception.

Now that I've thought about it, a built-in GPS always has map upgrades. This is real-time.
Although you're using your phone for GPS you're not paying for the "built-in" GPS
The Kenwood eXcelon 9902s is much less money that units with a built in GPS.

BTW - Waze is my favorite.

Sub control
Yes, I can control my sub from the Kenwood 9902s

A couple of bonuses.
The sound quality is much better than my older HU. It's full, sharp, clean and crisp.
I believe there is some form of sound canceling tech in the HU. I no longer hear my pipes.

IMHO This HU is a huge leap frog over the other folks and is the current auto-tech leader.

Short Version:
I'm real happy with my choice.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts