Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking/wanting to do this for years now. I think it will help hide brake dust more. Anyone have some pictures or photoshop some for me? I've been reading and drooling over the 20" 03-04 rims that Sportmachine did.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
It has been done and it does hide brake dust. The downside is that your wheels always like they're covered in brake dust.

Antracite is a similar color that's been used, do a search for that term and you might find some old pics that have been posted.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Plus I was wondering if it might be tooooo much DSG...the truck, rims, might be too much for me. I love the factory still, just wondering what they would look like on our truck. BTW, LOVE your HD and L matching set!!! :bigtu

I know Cliff (SVT KY god rest his soul) had his done in something close to DSG, but had a little black flacks in them. He is the reason I have my 03 DSG!

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
Thanks for the compliment :smt023. When I first bought my truck in 2005 I strongly considered painting/PCing the wheels DSG or black. I'm so glad I didn't.

Contrast is key. Dark wheels on dark colors (DSG, SB, TB, black) doesn't pop. Dark colors of light colors on the other hand can look great.

Chrome looks great on all colors IMO, especially the darker colors because of the contrast. In general I'm not a fan of black wheels although it can be done well. Most efforts fall short for my liking though. Black wheels look best with a polished or painted lip, without that subtle contrast the black tires, wheels, and wheel wells look like black masses.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been looking at wheels in glossy anthracite since you said it. Man I'm loving that color. Some L with it, but with Silver body, some with polished lip some without. Either way I'm loving them. Lots of Mustangs with that color rims. Do a search, it might change your mine!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree with dark on dark being a bad combo......I had the black wheels on the black truck and they just looked dirty all the time. Had them repainted to stock silver and truck looks 100% better IMHO.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
With any dark color if you leave the lip, center caps, & lugs unpainted, it can make the world of difference. I think when painting any wheel the trick is to NOT paint everything

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I love it and get compliments ALL the time about them.. Have more pics if you want to see them. They are a very minute shade darker. If they weren't on a DSG truck you would think they were DSG. But on the truck you can barley notice they are a little darker. Might also be because of the way light hits rims versus truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
967 Posts
I went back and forth on which color to go with, but eventually went with a powdercoat called 'Way Black'. It's not as dark as I would have liked but I'm pretty happy with the end result.

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts

I had mine done in "CARBON BLACK" but my truck is white. need to get a good picture to show the color on the truck.

·
Innovator of the Bombassani exhaust
2,428 Posts
Powder coated in 2004... Still looks good

Attachments

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
John [JCrue11] had exactly what you guys are talking about. He had his wheels done over in DSG to match his truck. What was really cool was that he also did the Lightning logos. John probably has some additional pictures but the truck is gone.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went back and forth on which color to go with, but eventually went with a powdercoat called 'Way Black'. It's not as dark as I would have liked but I'm pretty happy with the end result.
I like those. I also like Josh843. I also like rims in glossy Anthracite. Went to a Porsche web site and they had a lot of gray cars on gray rims. some with polished lips some without. I can't do polished lips or chrome. I have a bad back and can't sit on the ground for very long. Thanks folks for your inputs!! I'm still on the fence on the grayish rims. Plus I haven't contact Sportmachine to see if he still has any 20s 03-04 left.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I'm going to take the leap and get a set of the 20s from Tom. And I've decided to go with factory stock color. (well mostly :scared003 ) LOL I'm waiting on a guy to reply to a message, then make my choice. :bigtu

Once I get my set (before the year ends I'm told), I'll have my 03 rims up for sale with darn near new F1s on them.

·
"Prestige Worldwide"
201 Posts
I'm sure he's on here somewhere. I kept the pic from the FB page. I've kept the pic to remind myself how good it looks! Good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I also want powder coat not paint. My 90 Kawasaki ZX750R Ninja has red painted rims with polished lip, and I'm always having to touch them up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts