Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
"01 Fastblack"
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have shorty headers, all four cats and a straight in silver bullet cat-back. I am going to order my new cat-back as mine is a little rusty. The new thing is everyone running an X-PIPE some cat-backs even come with an X-pipe already attached. Is anyone running the X-PIPE? And did sound or performance change? Any input is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I have a silverbullet. Dont you already have an x pipe welded to the magnaflows?

·
"01 Fastblack"
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have a silverbullet. Dont you already have an x pipe welded to the magnaflows?
No my mid pipes go straight into my cat-back no x-pipe. I am pretty sure the Magnaflow internal x-pipe is only in the oval style muffler, the silver bullet exhaust has round bullet shaped mufflers (used to be magnaflow) an now I believe they use dynatech round bullet style with x-pipe already attached. Or you can still get the straight in style. If I am wrong please do correct me.

·
"01 Fastblack"
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some pics of my exhaust, my mufflers say "BULLET" on them, I originally thought it was the Silver Bullet cat-back but now I am wondering if they could be just a bullet exhaust and not the Silver bullet. Anyone know? And as you can see no x-pipe just straight in.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
X Pipe

As far as sound I have JBA shorties, Bassini "X" 2.5" off road with Mustang GT mufflers on my 67 XL, it really sounds sweet when I nail it. I can barely hear it at cruising speed. It will surely be louder on the truck since the outlet is closer to the cab.
Since room is tight on the trucks it looks like the internal "X" muffler is the way to go.

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
L exhaust systems

As mentioned previously, it is VERY tight for an external "X" pipe in a gen 2.

I just finished a complete 3" system and I was not able to use one.

IF I moved the mufflers rearwards or used shorter mufflers and made the outlet pipes difficult to fit in....then I might have possibly fit one in, but a 3" system is stuffed in tight in a gen 2 with long traction bars.

Given the choice, I chose a 3" system and no "X" over a 2 1/2" system with an internal "X" iit. (So I find it to be no bigge to not have one)

Miz (JMHO)

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I used to own a 97 Lightning Clone.It had the 4.2L V6 in it.I ran a true dual exhaust on it.I was running JBA shorty headers,Magnaflow high flow cats(only 1 on each side),Magnaflow X-pipe,2 single in/single out Flowmasters and it exited behind the tires on the corner's of my rear bumper(like the stock F150 single exit exhaust),with BIG chrome tips.The whole system was 2 1/2 inch and it sounded knarly! You could here me coming a few blocks away and my neighbors hated it when I would start it up 6:00 am to go to work.That truck was tuned,ran like a top,hauled arse and got pretty descent mileage.Everyone that it was a real Lightning,but it was just my daily driver.I loved and miss that truck,wish I never would've sold it.Everytime I see the guy I sold it too I try and buy it back and he says only if you trade me your Lightning! LMAO!!! my son is still mad at me after 5 years now because he wanted it.My L just has OBX headers,no cats and the Magnaflow X-pipe side exit L muffler.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts