Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I just picked this project up a week or so ago and it's time to start turning it around and fixing all the neglect from the previous owner. I'm going to pull the blower this weekend and clean the intercooler, but decided to remove the boot and take a look at a hint of how dirty this is going to be, and I wasn't surprised. What I did find though is some hacked in intake with a MAF by Professional Flow Technologies, with what looks like some custom tuning behind it. Anyone ever hear of this company before? I'm just going to tear it all out and start fresh but want to make sure it's not going to interfere with anything else.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Not the best looking but if it works then it's works right

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks all stock besides the adapter plate for the filter and MAF. I think it's time to upgrade......

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,118 Posts
JLP's original cold air set up had that same coupler on the end of the filter. There was a big scoop that mounted down low in front of the driver side tire. Had that on my 2000 L. Liked it, but it sure got a lot of junk on the end of the filter. Acted like a vacuum, sucked stuff up from off the road. Leaves ,bugs, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
JLP's original cold air set up had that same coupler on the end of the filter. There was a big scoop that mounted down low in front of the driver side tire. Had that on my 2000 L. Liked it, but it sure got a lot of junk on the end of the filter. Acted like a vacuum, sucked stuff up from off the road. Leaves ,bugs, etc.
That coupler on the end is some home-made job, and half ass at that. The IAT is in there as well, and the whole thing is literally all wrapped up with electrical tape. I don't even want to begin to talk about how much oil residue there was........

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
One of the reasons I DIDN'T plumb my Chickenears Cool-Aid was exactly that... I didn't want to suck in all that crap and potentially restrict the filter!

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
3,251 Posts
Is it just me or does the filter look like it's collapsing in on itself? Possible restriction on filter end that goes into fender causing a bottle neck effect?

Also looks like the blower snout was turned down for a smaller upper.

·
Grilling tonight.
4,226 Posts
Unless Pro Flow moved, they are no longer, as that address is a granite shop now. Only a few miles away!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is it just me or does the filter look like it's collapsing in on itself? Possible restriction on filter end that goes into fender causing a bottle neck effect?

Also looks like the blower snout was turned down for a smaller upper.
I'm a noob so you'll have to explain this, you have me curious. I'm assuming it's exactly what it sounds like, but by looking at it I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary and I thought all the pulleys looked stock.

Might want to disconnect that brake sensor:shocked003
Pulling the noob card on this one too.....:smt102

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
https://youtu.be/iGap8vCbSPc

Ford's Cruise Control Deactivation Switch: A Pressure Cooker Waiting to Explode
It has been described as a ticking time bomb, a deadly defect, a trip down the road to disaster. It is
a tiny component part, no bigger than a sparkplug and shaped very similarly. It is Ford's cruise
control deactivation switch. And it is burning down homes across the country.
What Is It?
The cruise control deactivation switch, also known as the brake pressure switch, sits just above the
master cylinder of the braking system under the hood on the driver's side. Its purpose is to turn off
the cruise control when the driver applies the brakes. In the latter half of the 1990s, Ford was faced
with an abnormal number of car fire complaints arising from these switches. Cars were catching
fire while parked in garages and parking lots, unattended with no key in the ignition. Homes were
burning down. Unplug it for now until you can change it.

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
the sensor on the front of the brake master cylinder...unplug it before it burns the truck down. there was a recall on those that added a fused harness.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I'm a noob so you'll have to explain this, you have me curious. I'm assuming it's exactly what it sounds like, but by looking at it I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary and I thought all the pulleys looked stock.
I was referring to the snout area behind the pulley. It looks like it has been machined down to allow for a smaller pulley.

Highlighted in pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
:bigtu

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
https://youtu.be/iGap8vCbSPc

Ford's Cruise Control Deactivation Switch: A Pressure Cooker Waiting to Explode
It has been described as a ticking time bomb, a deadly defect, a trip down the road to disaster. It is
a tiny component part, no bigger than a sparkplug and shaped very similarly. It is Ford's cruise
control deactivation switch. And it is burning down homes across the country.
What Is It?
The cruise control deactivation switch, also known as the brake pressure switch, sits just above the
master cylinder of the braking system under the hood on the driver's side. Its purpose is to turn off
the cruise control when the driver applies the brakes. In the latter half of the 1990s, Ford was faced
with an abnormal number of car fire complaints arising from these switches. Cars were catching
fire while parked in garages and parking lots, unattended with no key in the ignition. Homes were
burning down. Unplug it for now until you can change it.
the sensor on the front of the brake master cylinder...unplug it before it burns the truck down. there was a recall on those that added a fused harness.

Thanks for the info, I'll be taking care of this today! I did notice when I puller the Carfax that there was an open recall, this is probably it.

I was referring to the snout area behind the pulley. It looks like it has been machined down to allow for a smaller pulley.

Highlighted in pic.
Thats a new one, never would have noticed that. I did see it, but didn't think anything of it. It looks like a stock pulley to me, but I may be wrong-can you tell from that angle?

That's one of the first items on my list to upgrade, that and a crank pulley.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts