·
regular joe
2002 True Blue
1,737 Posts
That looks like a LOT of work.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,291 Posts
There's another thread, a newbie saying his truck doesn't have leaf springs. Promised to post pictures. Everyone's waiting for it! Maybe it is one of these? Will we ever know? Tune in at 10pm.

·
Premium Member
5,269 Posts
Leaf springs work ! I wouldn’t waste my money on that set up But that’s my opinion

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,704 Posts
Leaf springs work ! I wouldn’t waste my money on that set up But that’s my opinion
You also don’t Road Race…

·
Registered
230 Posts
Recently saw this setup on a guys L. He said he loved it, he was using ride tech coil overs. Said it rode great given that he was slammed on 26s. Obviously a flipped rear ended was horrible for his setup.

Also stated that since he likes “racing” (street racing) it was a better option over bags.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,291 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Interesting 3 link kit engineered for large wheels but could it reduce the rear wheels from unloading during hard cornering? Going to look into this kit further.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you road race ?
I am leaning that way with this build yes. DOHC GT block motor with a T56 magnum already. Looking for a rear suspension that will allow me to adjust to multiple situations if possible. I'm also looking into building a proper 4 link + watts but that's even more uninstall friendly. My initial thought was to actually build an 8.8 out of a regular f150 since there is far more aftermarket support in the mustang world and a huge weight savings.

I came across this and it intrigued me so I figured I would ask.

I did order their C notch kit which is part of the base for the kit any ways but this setup is actually not available for a couple months after talking to the owner of the shop.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Does it use a PHB or Watts link?

I might be missing it, but see neither in the description or picture.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
You could use any centering device with this setup. But none is required due to the triangulation of the third link.
I'm not seeing how this would control the side to side motion any more than a Fbodys torque would or a S197's third link. Maybe if they gave a broad image where you could see the LCA's, etc then it would make sense. Trying to engineer a PHB or Watts link out the system generally doesn't seem to work well IMO. Think Foxbody/SN95 4link.

·
Member Senior
194 Posts
It doesn't control the movement well. But it will do well enough for a street car.
I agree with you on your points about short comings of the factory suspensions. I learned my lessons on a g body. I will still take a factory triangulated 4 link over leaf springs every day of the week though.
The suspension in question here is not designed or marketed as a performance suspension though.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
IDK. Maybe if you use one better designed than the bind city OEM Foxbody design. Really though when you look at an aftermarket triangulated 4 link I don't see how they don't bend or break under heavy loads when you account for their length and the angles they sit at. IMO they'd have a hard time doing the job of controlling side to side movement as well as a Watts link or PHB. Even a Steeda 5 link is just a parallel (nearly, but not absolutely parallel. I believe their UCA are offset like 3* to the LCA's 4 link) 4link with a PHB.

Honestly everyone wants to upgrade the suspension on a L, but IMHO it's a better handling vehicle than my 03 Cobra or even my 02 SS ever was on the street. The L just plants and hooks, and puts down power in a hard corner much more efficiently than those car I had. The Terminator was running FLSFC, MM Bilstein C/O's, FTB IRS bushings, etc, and my Fcar had Koni SA's, BMR springs MWC FLSFC's, Founders poly rotoball LCA's/PHB, Hellwig bars F/R. At the very least the L is a more forgiving vehicle that communicates its limits better. And everyone wants a PHB on their L, but honestly I can't notice much a difference with it on or off the truck. Now if you compare my L's handling to say my GEN6 SS 1LE that I no longer have then no, the 1LE will slap 7 shades of chit out of my L in a turn.

·
Premium Member
5,269 Posts
Tim Skelton and Ruslow were road racers maybe you can check them out on NLOC or svt performace .com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts