Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about it since I bought my truck, but it's almost $1k...

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Anything??

This truck friggin owns my bank account. :roll:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have the old style hotchkis front coils only (thanks Tim) and it feels great. so the whole system has to be good

·
Registered
20 Posts
Leeann
I have installed the hotckis rear spring in two of my buddies trucks and both of them though that the ride was to stiff. Plus with traction bars the Bassani exaust was riding on the traction bars. And they did have QA-1's. So what I did was ordered 1100 lbs front springs from Stan and installed Belltech shackles in the rear, installed a pan bar, QA-1 shocks all around, and toped it off with Hellwig sway bars front and rear and it handles like it was on a rail and the ride is great. With the QA-1's you can dial a ride you like. On my freinds 04 truck we did the same basic suspension but in the rear I took out the second leaf instead of installing the rear shackles I also took out the rear shim to correct the pinion angle. They auto cross very well and the only thing that I have noticed is that my 60's have droped alittle from low 1.7's to the low 1.8's. the truck still run's consistant 12.5's.

So if your going to just drag race then I would go with Ground Force front springs because they are about the same spring rate as stock just lower and remove one leaf in the rear. this will get you a nice stance and wont hurt your 60's. If you want to auto cross some then 1000 lbs front springs from Stan (RUSLOW) Pan bar to hold the rear in place and I would just take out the second leaf in the rear and Hellwig bars front and rear. Oh and dont forget the QA-1's all around.

Just my 2 cents
Chuck

·
Registered
4 Posts
removing a leaf

this is to "undrpsi"

do you know how much removing a leaf in the '04 lowered the truck?
also, any "how to" write ups or things i should keep in mind while
removing a leaf?

any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the older TVS (stiffer ) and I like it a lot using the bilstein hotchkis valved shocks. It will be stiffer but I have come to enjoy it as the better handling is worth it. I would and will later upgrade to QA1s for the tunning.
Check with Mark at LFP as he has had some good prices on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Kwad
This was on a 04 truck with about 600 miles on it when I did his suspension.
The measurements were Front 28 1/4" Rear 31". This was taken from the bottom of the fender lip to the bottom lip on STOCK wheels.

After 1000lbs coils in the front and 1 leaf out in the rear with Stock shackles
were Front 27" and Rear 28". I haven't checked the heights after he has put some miles on it. I think he only has about 2500 miles on it now. They look good and they have a slight rake to the front.

Chuck

·
Registered
4 Posts
sorry for bothering you again "undrpsi,"

but do you have any tips or short cuts on removing that second leaf....i plan on doing it this weekend.
i heard that i will need to grind a rivet out, is that true or is it a bolt?

thanks again and take care [smilie=fingersx.gif]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I'm just exploring my options and planning out my winter. I was just gonna get the shackles, but I really wanna drop the whole thing. So much time, so little $$$$$$. [smilie=eek4.gif]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Kwad
Before you take out the rear spring bend the tabs that are on both sides of the spring front and rear. Bend these out pretty good makes take out the second leaf much easier. Also I would take out the spring completly it's much easier to work on and it acutally save you time instead of fighting with it on the truck.
C Clamp the spring on both sides of the Center bolt before you loosen it up. It's Under Perssure!
I cant remember if I left out the tapered shim or just turned it around after I took out the leaf. I think it was left out.
Turn spring on there side and bang those tabs you bent out back in. Reinstall springs and torque Ubolts to 80 ft. lbs. evenly.
Retorque after about 500 miles. Also you should think about some long Traction Bars after taking out the leaf. The rear end is going to want to wrap up more now and could break your drive shaft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chuck,
Thank you very much. Wish I were in NH, I'd buy you a beer for sure.
One of these days when I get my camera working, I'll post the results of all
your helpful hints. Peace to you my friend.

And by the way Leeann,
I just stopped by the Hotchkis warehouse in southern cal yesterday, and they told me that
they have the leafs and springs for the TVS kit, but they are waaaaaay back ordered on the
sway bars. So even if I, you, we wanted a full kit, it's a "no-can-do" for quite some time.
Good luck w/ your shackles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For the sway bars I would go with the Hellwig bars. They seem to be a stiffer bar. Yes they are heavy but they are alot cheaper and most of the time in stock. Got mine from Summint. Go with the 2" lower ones. Nice easy bolt on kit to install No holes to be drilled.This is one way to stiffen the suspension with out affecting the ride.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's not what I wanted to hear. :smt012
Oh well, I guess it's good in a way... The extra money I was gonna spend can go toward other mods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts