Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really enjoy offshore fishing and usually go out every weekend. I have a 22ft sailfish that weighs around 5500lb loaded. I usually get funny looks at the boat ramp from the 4x4 diesel guys. So far the truck has never failed to pull the boat off the ramp as long as I give it very little gas. my only issue is the constant whine from the kompressor (steig stage 5) while towing. is this normal or should I try and adjust my bypass valve.

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
Caution on those boat ramps, when I get back to my computer I'll post a pic of a former member's Lightning after a day on the water.

·
SLINGSHOT...ENGAGED
2,608 Posts
Can't remember his name off hand but one member tows his Gen1 to the track with his Gen2 lol .One nasty twin turbo Gen1 though.. wish I could upload pics from my phone

·
10,556 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
towing with lightning

I tow with mine pretty regularly.(stock boost for now)i try not to exceed the factory 5k pound rating though.if you have ever been in there you would have noticed the factory trans cooler is pretty small.and yes I know the fluid also passes through the radiator but towing above the 5k limit it might be wise to upgrade to a larger cooler and probably a remote mount trans filter as well(napa gold 1622) and you should be allright.once with my 01 L I purchased new(have 03 now) while towing my 14 foot enclosed interstate trailer with my motocross bikes/stuff in it started to slide backwards while going up a dirt hill,pretty scary.if it were me with no winch dipping a boat I might just plant a 55 gallon plastic drum in the bed strapping it down and filling it with water before attempting/tempting boat launches.have fun:bigtu

·
10,556 Posts
In 2005 I pulled a 1/2 ton Chevy truck from San Diego to San Antonio shortly after I bought my Lightning. In 2007 I pulled a Mitsubishi Lancer from San Diego to San Antonio with a bed full of household goods during a military PCS move. In September 2013 I moved back to San Diego using my HD to pull my Lightning, a U-Haul trailer, the beds of both trucks fully loaded. According to a Cat-Certified weigh scale in Ozona, Texas the gross vehicle weight was was 13,700 lbs. A little supercharger whine under load is normal.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
881 Posts
Towed my 23 SeaCraft many times without issue. Matter of fact it pulled so well on the Highway I off times found my speedo at over 70 before I knew it. Just didn't like quick stops is all.

·
Slevin
1,019 Posts
Occasionally. Usually a jet ski, Bbq pit or an enclosed trailer (12')

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,657 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts

Towed my 03 cobra, with my bike in the back and other stuff no problems:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Innovator of the Bombassani exhaust
2,428 Posts

Two things that haul ass :) :)

·
Registered
2,523 Posts

Towed my 03 cobra, with my bike in the back and other stuff no problems:)

X2. Except I was towing my Foxbody instead of my Terminator. I had my YZ250 and a bunch of other stuff in the bed. I was passing people at 80+ through the mountains of western VA while doing it. You could pretty much see the gas gauge dropping. Didn't take picks though. I've towed several boat, hauled loaded down big tool boxes, etc with it. L's tow just fine even at noticeably heavier loads than what they're rated for.

I do have a few pictures of me towing my Fbody with it. Truck was filthy as shit at the time.

Here's a cleaner pic of it doing some lite hauling.

·
Registered
93 Posts
X2. Except I was towing my Foxbody instead of my Terminator. I had my YZ250 and a bunch of other stuff in the bed. I was passing people at 80+ through the mountains of western VA while doing it. You could pretty much see the gas gauge dropping. Didn't take picks though. I've towed several boat, hauled loaded down big tool boxes, etc with it. L's tow just fine even at noticeably heavier loads than what they're rated for.

I do have a few pictures of me towing my Fbody with it. Truck was filthy as shit at the time.

Here's a cleaner pic of it doing some lite hauling.
You know I was actually really surprised how well it towed the weight I had on it. I went with a car dolly cause I wasn't sure how a trailer like you used for your F body would work. But seeing your pics actually makes me wish I went with that type when I moved.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts