Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting headers; but Austin has emissions testing as part of the annual inspection. I've heard people having all kinds of results with tuning. Anybody in an emission check county with headers have any luck?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm in the DFW area but no emissions just a vehicle inspection. Haven't had any problems, still running cats and the egr. Came from CO and never had any trouble with my old truck with a complete dynatech system, they actually put you on rollers and go through the gears/rpms to measure emissions.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on my reading, the problem isn't passing a sniff test - assuming one has cats. The problems I've read about are around tuners disabling cats and showing up as not-ready in OBDII.

·
Slevin
1,006 Posts
If the tuner has the rear O2s disabled, have them reenable them.
Not readys will cause a failing inspection if 2 or more?

Things that are post 96 don't get a sniffer test in Austin. Or at least I've never had one. Only on my 1990 dodge

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
DFW does have emissions test on our trucks via OBDII connection on gen 2 Lightnings. They will pass with one “not ready”. If they do a visual and see any of the cats missing they can fail you on the visual, same thing if the EGR is deleted. When I had my 2000 with a 2.3 Kenne Bell and supporting mods I passed every year with 1 not ready and I never saw saw them look under the truck or under the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,678 Posts
The headers are not the problem and will not throw any codes.., It's when the user doesn't install the catalytic convertors. This will throw 2 codes. Bank 1 and Bank 2 downstream O2 sensors.
They do make a downstream O2 simulator (aka MIL), which will tell the computer that A/F is good. Google it!
Do NOT remove the front O2 sensors, these control the A/F mixture, removing these will effect the drivability.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts