Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a materials list for a 20x32 wood framed house minus the interior walls. with 4 36x36 windows and 2 doors. Does anyone have a program they can run those numbers thru and get a list? I'll be happy to call and talk with you more about this if you can help me.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I can ask my dad when he gets home. he has been building homes etc for 20+ years I have just recently started as he got out of it now and is in the oil patch. I will ask him for you.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can ask my dad when he gets home. he has been building homes etc for 20+ years I have just recently started as he got out of it now and is in the oil patch. I will ask him for you.
Thanks. I went to Lowes but they will only help me if I have a set of prints. If i had prints I could do a take off. I am just not a carpenter and i'm faced with building my own house. It won't be fancy and will only have 1 other room and that will be a minimal bathroom. I would like to keep it as simple as possible and have a sloped flat roof suitable for harvesting water and solar. 96" on one side and 104" on the other. That is because i can buy precut from Lowes in those size 2x4's for wall studs. I just don't want to end up a couple of floor joists or some studs short. The materials will be delivered from 5 hours away so it really costs for mistakes. I will be using hand tools so minimum cuts help. I am buying a book on how to frame it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My "area" is 5 hours from where i go off road to my property. Albuquerque,N.M.

·
Registered
20 Posts
if you know the linear footage of walls convert to inches then divide by what o.c (on centers) your studs will be example 200x12= 2400 inches. then divide by 16" o.c. gives you how many studs you will need. add 10% for overage. call me during day 575-526-4557

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you know the linear footage of walls convert to inches then divide by what o.c (on centers) your studs will be example 200x12= 2400 inches. then divide by 16" o.c. gives you how many studs you will need. add 10% for overage. call me during day 575-526-4557
Thx buddy..i'll call you tomorrow..

·
Silver is the fastest color
5,079 Posts
fepony ur nuts goin into the desert building a hosue with hand tools u should atleast buy a genarator with some cordless power tools man and sell em after wards if u really dont wanna keep em ..i build houses for a living for my father whos been doin it 30 years..... and i wouldnt even look at building a house with out the proper tools... ive probly built over 50 house.... u have no idea wut ur getting into ..

on a side note what are u goin to use for ext walls ... vinyle siding ,texture 1 -11? for the roof what will u be useing shingles , slate, the metal sheeting etc ? r u goin to be insulation, sheet rocking ? anything like that ?

to make a list we gotta kno kinda wut u will be using cause it doesnt seem like ur building a typical house ..

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will have a small generator for power to build using small hand tools such as a circular saw and such. I will use house wrap and will be using "first cuts" (rounded on one side) from local saw mill for inside and outside walls. I will be using NO sheetrock. I will be insulating. There will be no "running water" or "plumbing" except for a drain into a tank for gray water (for flowers and vegs) and a small septic tank and leech field. The roof will be flat but sloped.

We were and maybe still will build a rock house. But for immediate needs, I am building a small 20x32 one room house. Getting solar and water harvesting up and running. get our food stores in and situated before winter sets in.

·
Silver is the fastest color
5,079 Posts
Ok I askedmydad for more advice and told him wut u are doin and stuff and he ssaid u should build a house out of cinder block or concrete ... he said in the deserts and stuff termites will eat ur hosue up. Also it and it will stay way cooler. And be way stronger against th elements

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
toddslightning
Lightning Rodder
Join our Lightning Rodder community to discuss the supercharged Ford F150 SVT and Harley Davidson edition pickup.
Full Forum Listing