Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another 2.3 vmp tvs gen 1 from south Texas.

Working on street tuning with jj from woodbine motorsports.

Ran the m122 for a bit with the 8lb Lower, but still have it to compare them at the track when i finish with tuning on the tvs.

Currently on 2.4 vmp upper and stock metco 7.5 lower, my lightning is fully built, comp cams xe270h with a built trans with a circle d converter, complete 3inch exhaust,sct ba2800 maf. I am running a roush ported 90 degree elbow with whipple intake and lfp 170mm monster throttle body. Fuel mods are 60lb injectors and dual 255lph pumps

Looking to see what the tvs superchargers got to offer as a daily street setup compare to the m122 on pump gas with boostane. I use to run a 3.4 whipple with the monster upgrade then moved on to a 2.9 gt500 crusher sold that aswell. So since I thought I was done I settled for a m122, but want to try the tvs just for the heck of it just to see how much of an improvement they make street and strip.

Update**Just went wide open throttle on the vmp 2.3 boost is 14psi and air fuel is 11.0 with 10 degrees setup must be flowing well. I will be upping boost with a 2lb to see if boost goes up to 17psi. Currently 2.4 upper and stock 7.5 lower.

Currently pulley ratio is 3.125 and be going to a 3.33 trying to share some more info of tvs out there in our trucks.

Update***Went second wot on retune from jj at woodbine motorsports with 2.4 vmp upper and newly 2lb putting us at 3.33 ratio now up from 3.125 of 2.4 upper and stock lower 7.5. Truck on hit made 17psi and creeped and stayed 18psi up to 100mph. Air fuel was 11.0-11.2
with *9-10. Truck is mega safe on jj tune but pulls very very hard. Setup is a daily driven in hot texas weather and 93 octane.

4lbs is up for grabs to put us at 22psi, which is said to be limit of tvs of 23psi and put us on a ratio of 3.54.

JJ tunes are proven to make power and been tuned with him since 2013

TVS is a torque monster

***found out lower pulley was a metco style 6.55 and not stock 7.5 so reason for hit of 13psi and creep of 14psi. But psi is going by 2lbs. So 7.5/2.4 would have produced 15psi on hit and creep 16psi.

Update***Waiting for 4lb to arrive but took the time to run the 6lb with 2.4 upper.

Hard 3/8 throttle the boost was same 10psi, but air fuel was 11.5 this time up from 11.2. Truck had 100oct mixed 93oct with 7oz boostane on five gallons 93oct.

But wot was a different story boost on hit was 20psi and air fuel was 12.4 on wideband instantly left off. Timing was 8* on same 18psi tune of 2lb/2.4 upper of 9-10*. 6lbs am positive would put me at 23psi.

Blower ratio is 3.75 and rpm is 20,250 with the 6lb. So 4lbs will be my ticket expect to be 19psi on hit and creep to 20psi. Point this tvs pulls hard. Iat2 were 144 in 109 texas hot weather

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finally when wot again on Vmp gen 1 2.3 tvs with 4lb/2.4 upper air fuel was 11.4-11.9 and boost on hit was 20psi and creeped to 21psi and Timing was 9-8*. Iat2 Temps got to 156 1st pull and 2and pull 170. Current temps outside were 106 texas heat. Pulls were done the same 93oct with 7oz boostane for 100 octane to avoid bad fuel with 93oct.

So yesterday explains it boost would have been 23-25psi and reason for 12.4 air fuel I just dont have enough octane with 100oct.

Iat2 Temps cruising after both pulls drop again to 134, but before wot they were 114-120.

So my combo is done 2lb/2.4 vmp 17-18psi 93oct and 4lb/2.4 20-21psi 93oct with boostane for 100oct.

With 17-18psi same weather of 109 Texas heat temps were 144 after 2 pulls, but iat2 drop again quickly.

Truck is tuned by the man jj of woodbine and he has truck running hard but amazed he has it safe still.

Thank you jj for everything

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
6lb going back octane being bumped from 100 to 102 to see if air fuel readings settle at wot 11.3-11.5 to the increased air flow.

If so water meth injection will be thrown to provide cooling and see how much more fueling it cushions it.

This is all at 8-9 timing, boost is doing all the work.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's all she wrote...6lb makes same boost as 4lb. Vmp tvs gen 1 is tapped out, gonna have blower ported to see if any change but pulley wise it's not doing anything.

Comes sooner but nothing at all

1st pic 4lb/2.4 (3.58)
2nd pic 6lb/2.4(3.85)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told maf counts and engine load will simulate a dyno run.

Load-which is engine load ouput(torque)
Maf counts- which is airflow maf is metering(horsepower)

Doest say actual numbers cause not a dyno of course lol. But shows you how you making power.

I use one of my nonported gt500 m122 stock upper (3.0) 6lb lower vs a 8lb for example.

1st pic 6lb/3.0 13-11*
2nd pic 8lb/3.0 10-9* same tune of 6lb just higher intake air temps so makes less power if not ported. Load and maf counts similate that

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ok so You are using it as reference to see how hard the truck is pulling and how much air it is pulling. That makes sense. So is the VMP a noticeable difference? I currently have a ported M122 with a 2.7 upper and 9.25(6lb lower) and while I haven’t gave it the full beans yet at 4600rpms I’m seeing 17psi

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Oh yes vmp is night and day difference from the m122, which Is a great blower but tvs makes similar numbers as a 2.3 whipple but with more torque. The torque I noticed on the tvs comes fully at 3k rpm and holds it to redline. The m122 I noticed it makes quick torque as well but even after spun hard the less pulley with more timing is quicker and anything after it creates heat and timing is sacrificed for more boost if the m122 is spun harder. The problem with the m122 is it flows good but it reaches a point it only moves so much air and anything else aggressive pulley wise your moving that wall sooner and the dead spot of not moving more air gets more noticeable because you want power sooner with it down low with aggressive pulley that up top it's coming at the same speed as the bottom but sooner so the dead spot gets more noticeable and many confuse it as heat soak. But it's just blower being tapped out and a datalog will show timing is just lower in areas it performed better last time.

The tvs I am spinning it but not relying on timing. its boost just doing the work. More power can be had but want to see what full boost can be made while keeping timing low. Anything with decent amount of timing and high boost setup would like rest between runs (more racetrack tune) but street wise not as good if iats are high with it. So showing tvs performs but same timing just more boost to allow more friendly daily driving combo everyday.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update***

Vmp 2.3 gen1 has been ported and elbow enlarged fully to match blower. Blower and elbow no longer have the Q port that come from vmp performance and has been fully enlarged to that of a ported trinity tvs with the D port.

I will be throwing water meth to see what iats it sees on the 6lb/2.4. Octane is bumped to 103oct since I feel it's in 24psi range.

Gt500 guys are seeing 23psi with this combo which equals to a 15%/2.4 upper shifting at 6300rpm and run e85 or 103oct+ minimum

Blower is on let's see what it does on the logs.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Stop updating due to got busy with work and relocating for new job.

The vmp gen 1 ported with ported elbow and such with 2.4 upper and 4lb was the limit. The 6lb didn't offer no gains or boost gain, it just came on quicker.

Currently have a vmp gen 3 2650 under way and with 2.7 upper with 4lb lower will be where the vmp gen 1 left off.

Will be on same tune and boost to see what gains there are, and pulley from there.

Cooler iat are expected since new rpm blower speed will be

20psi vmp 2.3 gen 1 - 19,125
20psi vmp 2650 gen 3 -16,999

With a 6lb should blower rpm should be 17,999 so should pick up some boost with way cooler iat and depending what psi if 23psi, I try a 8lb for 18,999 rpm and see if it climb to 25psi

All in all a 2650 will be tested to see where it picks up from the 2.3 vmp gen 1 on a lightning.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Never updated due to gen3 tvs never fell through in the end.

But did manage to do what PBH did with another 2.3 tvs.

Added the xba elbow on to a gen 1 tvs with the help of them to spin the 2.3 quicker.

I moved to Houston and iat2 are in the 126f at 20psi 19k blower rpm with no timing being pulled and stays at 10.5* vs before it would get iat2 170f back to back due to dry air in west texas and drop timing to 6* by the 3rd run .

Plan to spin blower over 20k and see how it picks up.

Current pulley is still 2.4 upper 6lb lower.

Going to install a 8lb now, but run 6lb aswell with bigger elbow.

Before had a vmp high flow elbow and now went with a xba elbow to help free blower from not moving air with a 6lb any more on the short radius and smaller vmp elbow.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picked up a cut and welded and ported by 1320junky trinity for $350 local comes aswell with a 2.4 upper pulley. I just need to replace needle case bearings and resurface case. I might have my vmp gen 1 for sale if trinity comes out on top at the same boost of 25psi.

·
local painter
3,273 Posts
Blower came back so curious to see how bad a 1320 trinity welded/cut ported can do. Got rid of my 2.3 vmp tvs gen 1.
What were your results with the Gen 1 2.3? Track times and HP/TQ numbers ??

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
No quarter mile on it due to the whole covid19 issue and when baytown track kept getting rain out.

At 23psi (2.4 upper/6lb) on 93oct jj email tune 10* timing with 100oct(93oct with 6oz boostane) for safety

Horsepower was 664 torque was over 700 but don't remember exact. Tune is the same for 16psi to 23psi pulley combo . It can make a bit more but didn't want to run high timing on the street only to get pulled on top so like this it's consistent pull after pull .

·
local painter
3,273 Posts
No quarter mile on it due to the whole covid19 issue and when baytown track kept getting rain out.

At 23psi (2.4 upper/6lb) on 93oct jj email tune 10* timing with 100oct(93oct with 6oz boostane) for safety

Horsepower was 664 torque was 700 but don't remember exact. Tune is the same for 16psi to 23psi pulley combo . It can make a bit more but didn't want to run high timing on the street only to get pulled on top so like this it's consistent pull after pull .
Those are respectable numbers :bigtu 👍🏻. I’m in the middle of getting tuned. Hopefully I make close to that.

Reactions: Bern199

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
You should brother only thing I advise is becareful with roush 90 elbow it tends to restrict blower especially driver side rotor it gets starved of air. so carefull rotors don't expand due to heat, reason I went gt500 elbow it helps at 20psi+. Issue I had was that at partial throttle I would make 21psi with a 2.4/ 4lb lower with roush elbow . When I went with the vmp high flow elbow I dropped 1-2psi at wot and issue of partial throttle max boost went away. JJ saw a huge difference on log and ask how it felt due to the difference in timing and iat2

·
local painter
3,273 Posts
You should brother only thing I advise is becareful with roush 90 elbow it tends to restrict blower especially driver side rotor it gets starved of air. so carefull rotors don't expand due to heat, reason I went gt500 elbow it helps at 20psi+. Issue I had was that at partial throttle I would make 21psi with a 2.4/ 4lb lower with roush elbow . When I went with the vmp high flow elbow I dropped 1-2psi at wot and issue of partial throttle max boost went away. JJ saw a huge difference on log and ask how it felt due to the difference in timing and iat2
I have a GT500 45* elbow and an aftermarket CAI I could use. I like the idea of a straight shot of air rather than the 90* bend. I might pull those parts out of the barn and see what parts Im missing to install the 45* setup.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts