Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I have searched for weeks now on this subject before I started this post - unfortunately alot of the pics on this forum were the victims of the Photobucket Scam so they are all blurred out and of no help. I have a 2000 Lightning and in serious need of a Steering wheel - there are a few posts on here that say that a "PLAIN" F150 steering wheel works and others that say that the Ranger steering wheel is exactly the same and other have said that they tried the FR500 Mustang wheel (and were Successful).

I need a tried and true swap - since our Lighting steering wheels are non existent from the dealers now.

Can you please identify which Steering wheel from anything other than a Lighting you swapped in (Part Number would be awesome) and if you had to do anything special to make it fit/work.

Thanks in Advance for the help.

·
11 second street truck
10,249 Posts
Lmr sells a cover.
Most upholstery shops can repair it
99-01 explorers work
Any f150 of the same year span
Mustangs do not work

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Dusten is correct. My 03 came with either an earlier L steeringwheel, or leather wrapped Explore wheel. When I bought my truck it didn't have the 03/04 wheel.

And no a Mudstain wheel won't work. If you need proof here's a video I made of me trying to mod my old FR500 wheel to fit and as you can see it won't. Cut on it and everything to clear wires. (I think the airbag harness) You'd have to sleeve the steering staft to fit a Mustang wheel, and F that.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think the Navigator wheel is the same except for the emblem in the center of the horn pad

·
Registered
5 Posts
I called a few upholstery shops and it seems steering wheels are a specialty (they would not do it). I gave up and figured what the hell Illl try this. I cut the old leather off and installed this. It came out pretty darn good. If you try it be patient.

Search for this on Amazon.

AULLY PARK Universal Car Steering Wheel Cover Genuine Leather Stitch On Wrap (Size S, Black)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nope. Just be patient. Pull tight, and take your time (be neat) when you go around the four center connections. Cant go wrong to try it for $12.

·
11 second street truck
10,249 Posts
For those less talented there are a few guys on the lightning fb pages (actual upholstery shops, not just random guys) that do steering wheels

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope. Just be patient. Pull tight, and take your time (be neat) when you go around the four center connections. Cant go wrong to try it for $12.
I just looked on Amazon and it does not appear like they have the Small size anymore - I just bit the bullet (and rolled the dice) and bought what appeared to be in really great shape Ranger Leather Steering wheel with the Cruise Control buttons also for about $125. FINGERS CROSSED!! that this works - my Cruise buttons were also shot so if this works for me its a Win-Win!!!! I will still try to re-wrap my original wheel to see how it comes out.

·
11 second street truck
10,249 Posts
I don't know if that's $1300 cool, but it's cool

·
Registered
2,436 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
True it’s not a Lightning Steering Wheel,but it’s an option that fits and it’s Brand New. I have one in my 02 HD and it’s nice.
I could care less if it’s a true Lightning wheel. I just wanted something nice and clean that will be functional but damn I can’t see myself spending that much on a wheel. But I think it’s cool as all hell!!!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Reach out to these guys... Dallas Custom Steering Wheel

A quick googling will show you they are essentially the gold standard for rewrapping/thickening/customizing steering wheels for almost all enthusiasts, and have been doing it for a LONG time. I contact them a while back about working on my old S4 wheel, and they were very reasonably priced.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts