Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's it going guys and gals? Been chasing a rough hesitation in my truck for a bit. Pulled all the plugs on the passenger side today. #1 plug looked like there was a tiny bit of build up on the electrode. Kind of hard to see in the pic but I'm going to replace all the plugs. Was in the process of a tune from JJ so all these plugs pictures were running his tune. The plugs look good to me but I figured some of u guys may see something I don't. I checked the coils individually with an ohm meter and they all seemed to be fine. Once the truck warms up, it will hesitate and shutter pretty bad for a little bit then clear up and be just fine. Once I shut the truck off like going to the store, and restart it, pull off and it'll repeat the cycle. (Hesitate for a bit then run fine). First 2 pics r plug number 1

Attachments

· Panty Dropper
5,913 Posts
Idle time ruins any good plug reading

· Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I actually cleaned the MAF recently and cleaned the little intake air sensor that's in the stock air box. I cleaned out the throttle body a few months ago when I changed superchargers. I put a new fuel filter in it a month ago. I checked all the vacuum lines that I could see and everything looks good. I'll check for the line that goes to the back of the pan. When I changed superchargers, I saw there was a plug in the turkey pan. Not sure if that means anything pertaining to the line on the back. I'll check the pcv line as well. It also has a new tps sensor. As far as the plugs, how do they look to u guys

· Registered
597 Posts
Is your EGR still intact?

· Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hopefully this helps someone. There r different ways of getting at the #4 plug. This is how I got it. 6" extension 3/8 drive with a 1/2"-3/8 reducer and a 1/2" ratchet. No swivel. It fit pretty straight on the spark plug. I used the 1/2" ratchet because my plugs were tight and the 3/8 ratchet just didn't give me enough umph to get it loose. Feed the extensions in first then attach the ratchet and u r good. A bit more annoying trying to fit ratchet and extensions in together. Kind of hard to see in the pic but it actually wasn't that bad getting that back plug in and out.

Attachments

· Registered
3,701 Posts
How many miles are on the coil packs and your 02 sensors. Do you have any gauges to tell you what is happening with A/F, fuel pressure, etc..when the problem occurs?

· Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The body of the truck has 125,000 miles. The engine only has around 15,000 miles. I've only had the truck a few months so I'm assuming the coil packs r original. I have a wide band gauge running on the driver side bank. The gauge doesn't fluctuate at all when it happens so I'm assuming the problem is in the opposite bank. I checked the coil packs on the passenger side and they all ohmd out ok. Tomorrow I'm going to check the driver side and change plugs. The O2 sensors on the passenger side r new Bosch ones. The driver side sensors r not new. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge yet but that's next on the list.

· Dude
2,374 Posts
When I first got into these trucks I mistakenly went with iridium plugs and gapped them to .42 not only that but they were expensive $82.00! Went to get a tune and the tuner sent me home said get a set of Motorcraft AR103'sand gap them to .30 then come back. I did and put down 398 hp. I believe its your plugs and the gap. You can use NGK TR6's if youd like but try a different plug and smaller gap.30-.32 preferably:smt023

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.