Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With so many straight away reccomending the NGK TR6 for our application, I'm looking for an alternative now that the 2nd plug stopped firing (installed 3 years ago with less than 3,000 miles on them). I changed #2 last time & #7 now misfiring then completely done. I limped her home after last car show & just got a chance today to diagnose. 10,700 mile Coil packs work perfectly with replacement plug.

Does anyone reccomend something better?

Does anyone run the Motorcraft AGRF12C's ?

*Stock lower tuned at 14-15psi with All supporting mods. Truck babied 99% of the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
You might try the BR7. That’s what I’ve ran for several years without any problems. I had Denso ,TR6, and TR6ix. Most run the TR6 without any problems. Some say the BR7 have a rough idle but I haven’t. I’m on the same boost with 6# lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,741 Posts
I'd almost put the stock plugs back in it..., Those TR-6 are probably too cold.
Need more info on the mods you have done..

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
3,131 Posts
I've run the Autolite AR103s before with success. Only stopped running them as I couldn't find them locally.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,835 Posts
I've had TR6 in mine since 2019. MP blower, JLP sheet metal plenum, Accufab throttle body, C & L elbow, K & N Powerstack filter, Borla catback with aft two cats deleted, and two pound cog drive. They do great.

Reactions: 03F150HD

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
-Brettco Cog drive system, Boost to 14-15 lbs.
-Throttle Body
-K&N Cold Air intake system
-2600 Mass Air Meter
-60 lb injectors
-170 Thermostat
-Full ARH exhaust system
-Aluminum Coolant Tank
-Aluminum Supercharger Tank

I'm not finding anything wrong visually with plugs. Replace the one that's not firing and runs perfectly.

·
Administrator
18,522 Posts
I've run the Autolite AR103s before with success. Only stopped running them as I couldn't find them locally.
These are what I prefer to run.Cut back electrode being an old school hot rod trick I had employed on past rides. I put them in each time I changed my own plugs. But when my truck went in to the shop at JDM, it always came back to me with TR6...

Cog setup looks to be about a 6# additional setup. You need colder plugs than stock. TR6 or TR6 ix or Autolite ar103 are what I would choose. BR7s are colder still. I run these now at max boost/compression/spray. TR6s are not cold enough to be safe anymore on mine. But I do prefer to run a plug as hot as the setup will tolerate.

Jim

·
Registered
801 Posts
Couple other things to look at too. How good is the tune? Bad tune can kill plugs frequently as well. The tr6 plug is a decent plug but it is not going to last at all in my experience. I know way back when us and 3 other local trucks all had jdm set ups they recommended the tr6 plugs only... Come to find out it isn't because it is a good plug but because the plug would eat itself quickly if tune was off or we encountered any problem. I get that... Better to eat a plug than to eat a piston. At same time it sucks changing plugs every 4-5 passes. And that is about the limit of them at 600+ hp. One good race day and they would be junk afterwards. We switched over to Denso it24 plugs for our power level and they have been great so far. Also don't be a scared to gap them down tight. Big gap ain't gonna do nothing but make you change them more often.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All makes complete sense.

I spoke to my tuner today (Adam @ Pops Racing) . He recommended the TR6's gapped at .028 for my set up. I previously had them gapped at .034-.036 which is what I keep seeing on this this forum. He said it would even be safer with the stock bottom & boost level to run the TR7ix's.

Autolite AR94's are what he is ultimately recommending so I will likely go that route gapped at .028.

When I get them changed we will check the logs to confirm tune is correct after finding out I had them gapped at .035.

·
Administrator
18,522 Posts
Good choice as those AR94s are the colder version of the 103s previously mentioned. Good heavy cut back copper plug.

Jim

·
regular joe
1,494 Posts
Gap @ .028 with just a 6lb lower?

How much experience does this tuner have?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Do some research "Adam Marrer, Pops Racing"
Highly respected one of the best in the industry "outside" of the LR group loop.

·
Administrator
18,522 Posts
Gap @ .028 with just a 6lb lower?

How much experience does this tuner have?
It does not hurt anything to gap tighter than absolutely required unless we are talking tight competitive rules racing. And keep in mind that copper plugs open up the gap over time or under stress.

As for POPS Racing? Good reputation. Take all dyno graphs with a grain of salt, though. It makes no sense to compare graphs from different dynos. The dyno is simply a useful tuning tool.

Jim

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
976hp and 1637 torque...I'm going to say something's up with that pull unless they dropped in a diesel.
Lol my diesel 6.7 power stroke don’t even make that torque!! It makes 700/1400 to the wheels. I call BS.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts