Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So driving around the Lightning I decided to screw around with a Honda I didn’t feel like hammering on the truck so I did not go WOT and I guess the punisher valve body didn’t like that and I got some serious stink and smoking trans fluid pulling into my house. I guess I need to be taught how to use a lighting with a valve body done. Question is I know it’s not good for the trans but what did I do wrong and will it be ok for now. I drained the pan and added 6 fresh quarts. But damn I am dumb.

·
10 second street truck
12,553 Posts
Nothing you said makes sense.

If you burnt fluid hitting the gas you have issues that don't involve your valve body.

Once the truck is in a gear and moving the valve bodies job is done. The front pump is applying pressure to clamp the clutches and steels.

I'd attempt a complete fluid flush and pray. But I wouldn't expect good results. Once clutches are burnt, they're done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing you said makes sense.

If you burnt fluid hitting the gas you have issues that don't involve your valve body.

Once the truck is in a gear and moving the valve bodies job is done. The front pump is applying pressure to clamp the clutches and steels.

I'd attempt a complete fluid flush and pray. But I wouldn't expect good results. Once clutches are burnt, they're done.
I know nothing about transmissions it felt the trans just won’t shift and stayed at like 3000 RPM and was smoking like it just didn’t want to shift but when I go wot shifts fine. The burnt oil smelled terrible. I dumped the oil out and replaced it. I don’t get it felt like it was riding the clutch for some reason.

·
10 second street truck
12,553 Posts
That's not normal and has nothing to do with how you drive a truck with a valve body.

Burnt fluid means burnt components. Start saving for a trans.

It sounds like the converter is failing.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
12,515 Posts
Time to call A-1 trans

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Time to call A-1 trans
Ya I am F*cked! I don’t know why it did it, I swear it was how I was driving it like not letting it shift or something. Just hold the throttle in one spot and now it feels fine. Only 112k.

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,977 Posts
Low trans fluid caused my truck not to shift right away. I added the correct amount of fluid verified by the dip stick and it was fine after. I also checked the pan for any material and there was only a tiny amount. A valve body doesnt require a different driving style.

·
10 second street truck
12,553 Posts
That's because when you hammer it the valve body and pump are calling for additional pressure.

If it's slipping it's only going to get worse. That trans is toast.

·
GoD GiVeN
1,971 Posts
Ya I am F*cked! I don’t know why it did it, I swear it was how I was driving it like not letting it shift or something. Just hold the throttle in one spot and now it feels fine. Only 112k.
112K miles, shit you did better than my stock trans! I only got 79K miles before my transmission went. It started shifting late, like it was over revving before it changed gears, no matter the speed I was going, and then one morning, never shifted out of 2nd. I got my Trans rebuilt, installed a JLP valve body, larger capacity pan, 4x4 filter and a new converter, I now have 174K miles on my truck (I daily the L), and she still shifts like a champ. Of course, I don't abuse her like I use to, I just enjoy the drive and laugh at every ricer, mustang, camaro that wants to race a truck that is 21 years old. I just smile and enjoy the drive, I have nothing to prove to anyone! At the end of the day, I just want her to make it to the next day to drive :)

Sorry to hear about the issues, we have all been there and it sucks. Good Luck with the fix, you will be back on the road in no time!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate you guys! Ya I am going to call tomorrow and get a price on a rebuild. I did the 4x4 pan already and deep filter so I will just rebuild and run what I get and I am going run her hard. I have the punisher VB also I am going to price out a decent converter.. any suggestions?

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,485 Posts
112K miles, shit you did better than my stock trans! I only got 79K miles before my transmission went. It started shifting late, like it was over revving before it changed gears, no matter the speed I was going, and then one morning, never shifted out of 2nd. I got my Trans rebuilt, installed a JLP valve body, larger capacity pan, 4x4 filter and a new converter, I now have 174K miles on my truck (I daily the L), and she still shifts like a champ. Of course, I don't abuse her like I use to, I just enjoy the drive and laugh at every ricer, mustang, camaro that wants to race a truck that is 21 years old. I just smile and enjoy the drive, I have nothing to prove to anyone! At the end of the day, I just want her to make it to the next day to drive :)

Sorry to hear about the issues, we have all been there and it sucks. Good Luck with the fix, you will be back on the road in no time!
I'm the same when it comes to my Lightning. Don't try to race anyone, just enjoy the hell out of driving it. Mine just turned 73,000 miles. I recently installed a Mag-Hytec deep trans pan and 4 x 4 filter on mine, Holds an additional 8 ounces over the stock pan. Still have a Super Duty kit to install, just never seem to get around to getting it done. I will though, Have a four day weekend over July 4th, and another the following weekend for my B-Day. I'll be 61. :)
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Reactions: SVTjune

·
GoD GiVeN
1,971 Posts
I'm the same when it comes to my Lightning. Don't try to race anyone, just enjoy the hell out of driving it. Mine just turned 73,000 miles. I recently installed a Mag-Hytec deep trans pan and 4 x 4 filter on mine, Holds an additional 8 ounces over the stock pan. Still have a Super Duty kit to install, just never seem to get around to getting it done. I will though, Have a four day weekend over July 4th, and another the following weekend for my B-Day. I'll be 61. :)
73,000 miles LOL... That's nice! and I assume you meant 8qts? 8 ounces aint nothing to brag about lol ;)

Id consider bypassing the radiator, running an external cooler like an f250 and using a stock pan(or at least something that doesnt hang low like the 4x4 pan) if you want to help the trans live (keep the fluid cooler).
I was wrong on my pan, I have a Derale pan with air vents, still uses stock filter and doesn't sit below the frame, I think I had the 4x4 pan in my Harley and didn't like how it sat low. But I too run the F250 Trans cooler on my L, temps stay around 165 here in SoCal, but on a very hot day in stop and go traffic, I might see 185-190.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,485 Posts
Yeah, 8 quarts . MY BAD!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts