Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the new aeromotive 340 fuel pumps in my truck, I blew the 20 amp factory fuse, replaced it, the truck runs but the fuse is getting hot. has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone done additional wiring to support these pumps?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just bought these fuel pumps cause i thought mine went in my truck
but it turned out to be the fuel resistor

I blew the fuse also but thought it was from when i jumped the fuel resistor when i was seeing if that was the problem ..

·
99 problems and $$ is all of em
1,967 Posts
i dont know if you need heavier wiring for the aero's but i heard some people were stepping up the gauge of wireing on the walbro 255 set ups to help out with current draw or wires heating up or something like that. these aeromotive pumps are relatively untested in the L community.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I called aeromotive and talked to a tech .

Pretty much said 2 of these pumps at 40psi are drawing 28 amps .
The stock wiring isn't sufficent enough for these and should be rewired

Or Just run one pump cause it can handle 600hp ..and put the other on a toggle switch ..

Really not looking foward to rewiring my fuel system and wish i knew this before i bought these ..

·
Administrator
18,599 Posts
Use the factory wiring to activate a relay for the pumps. One if you run full voltage to both full time like I do. Or one for each pump if you want it to switch like stock. This should be done with Walbros as well.

Jim

·
Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
5,887 Posts
The new 340 pumps need to be rewired to handle the extra amp draw.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I jumped the resistor and the pumps run 100% of the time, what about running a hobbs switch on one that activates @ say 4" of vacuum, so when I'm crusing only one pump is running, as soon as it heads to boost the second kicks it?

·
Falafel
1,160 Posts
The new 340 pumps need to be rewired to handle the extra amp draw.

They do?

I didnt rewire mine and I been running them with zero problems for the last 5 months.. I did bypass the resistor from the tune tho.

·
Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
5,887 Posts
They do?

I didnt rewire mine and I been running them with zero problems for the last 5 months.. I did bypass the resistor from the tune tho.
With the stock wires your on borrowed time. At WOT Your pushing 28amps through to small of a gauge wire.

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
A lot of people have had issues with the Walbros on the stock wiring and circuit. When we replaced mine I could've had Walbros for the same price as the Bosch's but Paul [mr12volt] convinced me that the work involved in doing it right wasn't worth it for a street truck under 600 HP (not that I'm anywhere near that LOL). Bosch's installed truck runs like a top.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts