Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many years of having Mustangs I finally decided I want a Lightning.

My last vehicle was a sport trac and I like the idea of a truck. Being that I have a boat and jet ski also makes the truck idea a smart one.

I have a few questions:

My plan is to get a lightning and do some easy mods to it to free up horsepower.

I had a 2000 GT which (no offense) used to walk all over Lightnings. Of course I had a small dry shot of Nitrous just in case, but for the most part I never needed it. I think maybe once there was a L spraying it and I needed it to counter act.

Anyways, I am not trying to "say" anything. Lightnings are upwards of 5000, and if they had the weight of my stang, I am sure I would get my A$$ handed to me everytime.

One of my friends got a 2000 GT and has just about every mod except the nitrous (and says he would never put it on there).

He has exhaust, 4.10s, predator programmer, UD pulleys (not installed yet), Nittos, Accufab upper intake and TB, SLP Exhaust (offroad style).. and I think that is it.. I would have to say he is running @ least low 13s if not high 12s. I think I need a 12s lightning to make sure I beat him.

Q1: What would I need to do to the L to spank him??

Q2: Regarding towing.. how do the lightnings TOW. I have a heavy 18' McKee Craft, is the torque too high in the RPM range to make for a good tower??

My roomates Dad has a 5.4L Triton Lariat SuperCrew which has the towing package (cooler, 3.55s) and it can tow my boat fine..

Q3: Does 5.4L lightning engine make the same torque as a regular 5.4L and then as the blower comes on is it additive only??
In other words if you didn't have the boost would it still look like a 5.4L dyno or does it change the entire power curve just being bolted in??

Q4: This one is crazy but, if I tied up the Lariat 4 door 5.4L to the Lightning,
who would drag who down the street  [smilie=fingersx.gif]

OK I know this is alot of questions but one more:

Right now I have it in my head that 2001 or newer is the best bet because of all the 2001 model year changes.
If the finances don't permit and I have to get a 2000 or lower, could I make the 2000 or lower the same as the 2001 ups easily?
I am talking every single change that a 2001 has, from the lights to the blower.

Thanks in advance for all replies. I am counting on you guys to give me good answers because I really want a Lightning!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good place to start .. 4lb/6lb lower pulley .. Good Air intake system .. Throttlebody and Chip
Next ..  Headers and exhuast system .. you'll be fast and shound gooooooooooooog toooooooooo .. this should put you in the low 13s or high 12s .. lots more you could do i.e. NOS after-market Super Charger etc .. Traction will be next step to address

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have a mint condition sonic blue one f/s it has a pulley,predator tune,12" filtr,bassani cat back etc.
sounds like this truck is what your looking for. it has 2300 miles

·
Registered
270 Posts
i have an 01 with a 2# upper, 4# lower, chip, intake ,exhaust and ported and polished throttle body and plenum and my fastest time was a 12.70 at 106 -107 and i tow a 21 ft dusky boat fine with it. it made 423 and like 527 i think ill post my dyno and time slip if u want. and my gas mileage is still awesome. i get around 260 -300 miles a tank. good luck

·
Registered
367 Posts
I agree with everything that has been stated above. I have an 01 with a ported blower, ported upper, ported Plentum, Ported TB, Predator Tune (only running 18 degrees timing this is my street tune), LFP Traction Bars, Built Tranny 2800 stall, Stock Block (At this time the built one is on the stand and waiting to go in) NOS wet kit 75 shot n( not hooked up waiting on the money to get the Wizard system) Factory exhaust manifolds, Dr Gas X pipe, High Flow Cats, SpinTech pro street mufflers. I have not dynoed it with all of these mods but I can tell you that on my street tune I ran a 13.0 and if I would have been spraying I would be well into the 12's.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I took my truck to 12.77/12.93 with 6# lower, stock airbox
full exhuast, single blade throttle body, and a chip (dyno tuned)
on my F1's.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This will be a fun little truck for you and it should do just fine for what you want to haul.

I don't even think you would need to change the exhaust unless your looking for better sound.

There were a few issues with the earlier trucks 99-02 regarding the spark plug threads. So I would recomend the 03-04 years but thats just me. I had a 99 Lightning with 39k miles and never had problems with just a flip chip.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Silverstanger said:
Wow thanks for all the replies..

what do you mean by spark plug threads also..??
What he means is that...

The 1999-2002 models have cylinder heads that have 3 (or 4 which ever it is) spark plug threads and a typical spark plug has 8 threads, SOOOO what this means is the plugs are likely not to be very securely held in the spark plug hole and keep in mind that they are only held in by 3 (or 4 threads which ever it is) and the plugs have a great risk of ejecting from the cylinder head which is bad. Note the word: Bad... HOWEVER, the 2003-04 models corrected this terrible issue by updating the cylinder heads with added threads to a total of 8 to my understanding which is a remedy to the widely known Spark Plug Launching/Ejecting/ problem.

Anyone else please feel free to add and or correct my statement :D

-Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I shouldn't buy a 99-02.. what about all you people with those years..??

Is the only damage ejecting the spark plug and nothing more.. will it hurt the engine

I don't know if I can afford an 03.

Why hasn't ford RECALLED this!!

Also wouldn't ALL 5.4L engine have this problem including the regular F-150s??

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Silverstanger said:
So I shouldn't buy a 99-02.. what about all you people with those years..??
No, by all means the choice is up to you, HELL when I was in your shoes when I was looking for my L, asking all types of questions and even knowing about the plug launching issue I still wanted to get an 01'! I did :D  With preventative maintenance you should be okay...

Okay what is this preventative maintenance I speak of... checking your plugs every now and then and making sure the are tight.

Is the only damage ejecting the spark plug and nothing more.. will it hurt the engine

I don't know if I can afford an 03.
The worst case scenario I can think of is just blowing up the coil pack and screwing up the threads in the head due to the spark plug moving around and then ejecting.

Why hasn't ford RECALLED this!!

Also wouldn't ALL 5.4L engine have this problem including the regular F-150s??
Ford's response to this was obviously cloak and daggerish hence why I think they did the head update in 03, and YES most 5.4's are subject to this, Expeditions and F150s. This is not a "new" phenomenom by any means. But as I said with prevenative maintenance you should be okay!

ALSO there have been many guys running around that have never had this happen to them (including myself, knocks on wood :D  )

·
Registered
270 Posts
i have an 01 and (knocking on wood) have not had this happen to me and my plugs havent been changed yet an my truck has 44k miles on it. my truck is alos on 14 pounds of boost so hopefully everything would be ok. just check em once in a whiel like chris said. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts