Lightning Rodder banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yep, that's a JDM pulley and it's going to be fun to get off.

My advice...have a replacement pulley of your choosing ready to go on when you finally get that thing off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yep, that's a JDM pulley and it's going to be fun to get off.

My advice...have a replacement pulley of your choosing ready to go on when you finally get that thing off.
Awesome, so a not super easy job just got not super easier! I want to be able to order the same size pulley and am not sure of the size of this thing. I’d like to order it before I go to trying to get this old one off. It looks like I might be able to separate the pulley from the “housing” while that is still on the truck, seem right?

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
2,989 Posts
Awesome, so a not super easy job just got not super easier! I want to be able to order the same size pulley and am not sure of the size of this thing. I’d like to order it before I go to trying to get this old one off. It looks like I might be able to separate the pulley from the “housing” while that is still on the truck, seem right?

Measure it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If what I can find online is right it appears to be a gen 3 JDM caged pulley which “should” be easier to remove, good times.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If what I can find online is right it appears to be a gen 3 JDM caged pulley which “should” be easier to remove, good times.
Yeah, touted as being 'easier' with the 'new and improved' giant hex head on it but, given the super soft metal they're made from, you'll likely destroy that in no time. Might want to hit the spindle with some heat where it threads into the crank pulley if you can get in there (maybe remove the ring first).

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,614 Posts
Wow! Those JDM caged pulleys have to be the rarest of the rare. Lucky you. I didn't know they were made of substandard material though. I thought they were supposed to be the Holy Grail of pulleys. Glad I never spent the funds on one now.

Still should be better than trying to get the stock one off.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Wow! Those JDM caged pulleys have to be the rarest of the rare. Lucky you. I didn't know they were made of substandard material though. I thought they were supposed to be the Holy Grail of pulleys. Glad I never spent the funds on one now.

Still should be better than trying to get the stock one off.
Wouldn't have been that rare except you basically destroy them taking them off. Far from the 'Holy Grail' with the poor original design and slightly less poor follow-up design. I wouldn't wish having to remove either version of that thing on my worst enemy.

Now if you want the 'Holy Grail' of caged pulleys then you'd need one of the 15 or so that Matt (@Painless Autoworks) made.

'Holy Grail'

·
10,614 Posts
Yeah, that one looks exceptional.

I called it the Holy Grail only to the extent that when they first came out, everyone and their Mother was falling all over themselves to get one. My recollection in any event. I thought about it but didn't act on the thought. Glad I didn't.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I apparently managed to step over some of those fallen people as I have one and wish I would have never gotten it. I've got the Sawz-All and torch ready for when it needs to come off and I do have one of Matt's caged pulleys and the workmanship and effort he put into that thing is ridiculous, in a good way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I apparently managed to step over some of those fallen people as I have one and wish I would have never gotten it. I've got the Sawz-All and torch ready for when it needs to come off and I do have one of Matt's caged pulleys and the workmanship and effort he put into that thing is ridiculous, in a good way.
Man, I’m really hoping to not have to use the Sawz-All to remove this thing. New pulley and belt will be here Friday so this looks like a Saturday job.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just replaced my belt and was just as concerned as you are. First of all, its way easier with a lift from the bottom. Find a friend with one, I highly recommend it. Post where you are and see if someone will let you use their lift for a hour or two. Also, there are places that will rent you lift time. Look around, this job warrants it.

First I bought the hex socket:

Then I bought an offset box wrench to grab one of the converted bolts. It didn't work, it slipped too easily. Luckily my buddy with the lift had a shorty socket. Just a 14 mm socket that was 1/2 as deep and a normal one. That worked perfectly. And Two people worked for us. One that held the converter and one that cracked the hex. I had a breaker bar with a 2 ft pipe. When it popped it was really loud, I thought he broke something. Took 2 hours taking our time. Good luck!
When I did mine it sounded like a shotgun went off!! .. lol.. I did it basically the same way you did.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Man ole man. I’ve got everything done, except getting any of it done. New pulley came, old belts both off. I can not for the life of me get even the old pulley ring off, who knows how long that thing has been in there......soaking in PB blaster now and will try again tomorrow, curse you little Allen bolts, curse you the rest of the night!

·
10,614 Posts
Those bolts that hold the pulley on are only supposed to be torqued to 40 foot pounds. Me, I don't even do that. I just tighten them until the motor starts turning. I put a lot of blue loc tite on them. Never had them back out on me in 10 years. Never had trouble getting them loose again. But I have cogs. I just grasp the belt really tight under the upper pulley, until the teeth on the belt merge together, then I can reach down and loosen the bolts easily. But as I said, I always pull the fan and shroud off so I can work on it from above. I hate jacking the truck up to work on the pulley.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I wasted a lot of time, then added heat and didn’t have much issue except I ran out of light before I could put the two new belts on.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts