Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
never enough
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got mine shipped today, how do you guys get the bung installed? do you go to the exhaust shop and get the bung welded in, then plug it till you get home and install the gauge and sensor?

·
The GOLD RUSH!
2,559 Posts
How far is the exhaust place? I'd just drive home wit it open. No big deal.

·
tuned by JJ @ WMS
8,864 Posts
well you can wire it up at home and run the wire to where your gonna want it and go to the exhaust shop and tell em where you want the bung and they put it and you just but in the sensor. simple as that

·
Bad Mother F'R
2,734 Posts
I had mine welded in at the local exhaust shop. Cost 20 bucks... Just take the wideband sensor and have them screw it in. Just ziptie the pigtail up and out the way till you get home and can finish the install.

·
never enough
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How far is the exhaust place? I'd just drive home wit it open. No big deal.
30miles
well you can wire it up at home and run the wire to where your gonna want it and go to the exhaust shop and tell em where you want the bung and they put it and you just but in the sensor. simple as that
i thought of that, but you have to calibrate the sensor.

·
never enough
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had mine welded in at the local exhaust shop. Cost 20 bucks... Just take the wideband sensor and have them screw it in. Just ziptie the pigtail up and out the way till you get home and can finish the install.
would that mess up the calibration though? since the sensor would be exposed to gases before the guage is calibrated?

·
tuned by JJ @ WMS
8,864 Posts
leave a wire loose that way it dont turn on and when you get home you put the last wire so it turns on and you can calibrate it , or calibrate it going home

·
never enough
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
leave a wire loose that way it dont turn on and when you get home you put the last wire so it turns on and you can calibrate it , or calibrate it going home
so having the sensor exposed to the exhaust gases before the gauge is calibrated wont mess up the gauge calibration?

the instructions say i have to "free air" the sensor before i calibrate it and put in the exhaust

·
never enough
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, after looking at the drivers side exhaust, where the hell are you supposed to get it welded in at? i know youre supposed to put it in before the cats but it doesnt look like there is any room because of the other O2 sensors.

·
The GOLD RUSH!
2,559 Posts
Just do as I mentioned.. You don't want the damn sensor installed before you calibrate it.

Get the bung welded on, drive your ass home and install the W/B. I don't see the rocket science in any of it...

·
never enough
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just welded mine in myself. What gauge did you get? It wouldn't hurt anything to just drive it home without anything in the bung.
i got the MTX-L from siliconstop
where did you weld the bung in?

Just do as I mentioned.. You don't want the damn sensor installed before you calibrate it.

Get the bung welded on, drive your ass home and install the W/B. I don't see the rocket science in any of it...
i just didnt think driving 30 miles with a 1/2" hole in the exhaust as a good idea.

·
Registered
689 Posts
ok, after looking at the drivers side exhaust, where the hell are you supposed to get it welded in at? i know youre supposed to put it in before the cats but it doesnt look like there is any room because of the other O2 sensors.
Heres a pic of mine. Not many locations to choose from. Works great and had it for years on my stock exhaust with no problems with proper readings on Air/Fuel Gauge.

You will need to remove the drivers side exhaust pipe, cats and cross-over pipe to drill the hole and have the bung welded properly.

Make sure you don't go any lower than shown in pic or the 02 sensor will hit the frame.

Pic installed:

Just completed the install on Bassani Hi-flow cats and had my new bung welded in same location. Worked out great!

·
never enough
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the pics redapple, after searching i found where someone mounted theres here. ill go to the exhaust shop and see what they can do.

·
Registered
689 Posts
thanks for the pics redapple, after searching i found where someone mounted theres here. ill go to the exhaust shop and see what they can do.

Don't rotate it to far around towards the front of the engine or you may have trouble accessing it with a wrench to tighten the new 02 Sensor.

·
The GOLD RUSH!
2,559 Posts
There is so much room in that location when we took a buddies in to get welded because I didnt have the right wire at the time, the exhaust guy reduced the regular price. It was painless.. We drilled the hole, he welded it up. That sucks you have to go 30miles to get an exhaust bung welded.. Do you live in the middle of nowhere?

Either way, you'll be fine.

·
Delvallo
2,229 Posts

i posted this pic awhile back from a thread i found, my only question is, in this picture is that sensor in a ok degree's? i know ur not suppost to have it aiming up, that way moisture doesnt sit on the tip and screw up the sensor

i really like this setup and exactly what i want to do, just afraid to take off my exhaust

danny

p.s. the stock exhaust is mild steel isnt it?

·
never enough
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well luckily i found out we have a welder at work, so maybe i can get a guy to do. i called midas and they wanted $75!!

·
The GOLD RUSH!
2,559 Posts
Its not rocket science.. Get down on your hands and knees and look at that area through the wheel well.. There is massive amounts of space. Its not a big deal at all... Drill the hole and put it in there. That is a vertical area so you'll be fine. Definitely do not remove your exhaust for something so simple and trivial.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.