Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
huge member
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my A/C quit on me its been gradually gettin worse and worse it finally quit i hooked it up to my gauges and the low side is constantly jumping from 20 to 50 and the high side from 150 to 200! anybody know what the problem is? its full but the compresser is kicking on and off and on and off etc etc, ? ? ? ?

·
Dual Money Pits
4,504 Posts
I'd assume the low side drops to twenty when the high side is 200? Sounds like you're low, when it kicks on the low side drops too low which kicks the compressor off...as it equalizes again the low side gets high enough to kick it back on again

·
Registered
304 Posts
Do you have an electric fan? If so, then there are a few things to check.

Have you checked the relays and resistors (check the plug in @ the a/c compressor* and the one in the relay box)? make sure that the relay in isnt "wobbling" in the box. I had that problem not too long ago.

There is also a fuse for the EATC - check that (if you have a digital climate control)

*I don't know if our trucks have a resistor on the plug that goes to the compressor. If so, check that. My buddy had the same problem with a 2007 Z06 corvette and that was the culprit. The resistors are like 1 dollar at radio shack.

Also, I don't know if there is a low side switch on our trucks but look for an electric connection on the lowside line somewhere and check that to.

that's all I can think of.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just looked at my truck and the Low side switch is right below the port in front of the battery

·
Dual Money Pits
4,504 Posts
The low pressure switch is on the accumulator, take off the round plastic cover, remove the black metal bracket and you can get to it...I'd disconnect the battery first.

·
huge member
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys i never found it i looked it up at the part store and they sold one so i knew it was on there i bought it and just found it! im gonna snatch all that off tomarrow and replace it ill post up if it works or not

·
Dual Money Pits
4,504 Posts
You can jump the plug to test the switch so you can get your money back if need be

It cuts out every time the low side pressure hits 20 right?

·
10 Second Club!!!
5,573 Posts
damn clay cant believe no one said why you want A/C this time of year but i guess they seen you was from GA where its still 80's in the day lol

·
Dual Money Pits
4,504 Posts
yeah thats right
Hate to say it man but you have freon leak I'm afraid. The low pressure switch is doing its job, it sounds like a slow leak though.with a slow leak I'd add some dye and more freon and see if you can hunt it down

·
Building a fast catfish!!!
15,687 Posts
Yeah clay, while your in there get a can of the Freon that has the compressor oil in it...

Its gonna be like 8 oz freon 2oz compressor oil... It wouldnt hurt to put that in instead of straight freon considering where you live you ony dont use the a/c like 4 days out of the year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
5 Participants
JunkYard Dog
Lightning Rodder
Join our Lightning Rodder community to discuss the supercharged Ford F150 SVT and Harley Davidson edition pickup.
Full Forum Listing