Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade the speakers in my truck and wanted to get your guys opinions on the difference between the 6x8" components vs. the 6.5" comp set for the doors.

Is either one better or worse or does it really matter? I am looking to buy something good and run around 100-125 watts to them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
it's been a long time since i've given 2 shits about car audio, but IIRC the quality is typically better for 6.5, as well as the availability/selection

Not sure if anyone makes a ready-to-go conversion, but I had to make mounting plates to fill the 5x7/6.8 hole and mount my 6.5s

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
I have 6.5 components with tweets front and back both fit in single plate and adjust for direction. They sound alot better especially if you have a crossover to go with them. I had to make a couple mounting plates but simple cut out from fiber board and a jig saw. Sounds good and works great. I went with infinity 5010cs in the L I had and don't remember the model I put in the HD. But went components both times.

·
Farm Truck Owner
58,414 Posts
any real set of component speakers come with passive crossovers so u will be fine there. In the end it all depends on if ur planning on adding a sub or not. As Chris said 6x8/5x7's are going to give u more midbass equaling a fuller sound compared to 6.5 in components. My shit's old but when I do turn the radio on my Inifinity Kappas sound great. If u r planning to put a sub in n don't have one I have a L7 in a kicker box that was barely used with the matching kicker amp i'll sell u cheap.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The previous owner had a custom box for 2 10's that he left in it when i bought it. I've got a couple Kicker 10's and an amp i plan on using for now.

Shoot me a PM on what you got anyway though.

·
Registered
679 Posts
With components and an x-over setup, I have always preferred 6.5's and let the subs do the bass. 6.5's have plenty of midbass anyways. That's just my preference.

Get a set of good components. Diamond audio, Hertz, Polk MM's, Alpine Type X's, Focal's, Image Dynamics. You will need a good 2 channel amp though. I highly recommend the Sundown SAX 125.2. It is a clean amp and has plenty of power.

·
Registered
679 Posts
polk Momo's n Alpine type R's r in a completely different class from Focals. Focals r nice by far than the rest imo.
What? The POLK MM's are NOT the MOMOS. MOMO's are junk.

Also, I said type X's. Not type R's. I would never touch type R's.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have read a lot of good about that Sundown amp also. Just trying to figure out where to get the best deal on a nice set of components. I'd like to try the Hertz.
The 2 channel Sundown is awesome. I got mine for $125 on woofersetc. They have a sale on them and the build quality is top notch on them. Pulled mine apart to look inside.

You will not be disappointed with hertz. Woofersetc is also where I got my set when I had them. Look at the Diamond D6's or HEX Components and Focals while you are on that site.

·
Registered
615 Posts
What? The POLK MM's are NOT the MOMOS. MOMO's are junk.

Also, I said type X's. Not type R's. I would never touch type R's.
Nope, Polk MM are the old momo's. I have the crossovers to prove it. OP you'd be amazed at what a decent set of speakers (i.e. Alpine type S) and some Dynamat or other variation can do to improve your sound.

The 2 channel Sundown is awesome. I got mine for $125 on woofersetc. They have a sale on them and the build quality is top notch on them. Pulled mine apart to look inside.

You will not be disappointed with hertz. Woofersetc is also where I got my set when I had them. Look at the Diamond D6's or HEX Components and Focals while you are on that site.

Pricey speakers......

·
Registered
679 Posts
Nope, Polk MM are the old momo's. I have the crossovers to prove it. OP you'd be amazed at what a decent set of speakers (i.e. Alpine type S) and some Dynamat or other variation can do to improve your sound.

Pricey speakers......

The MM's came out recently. These are not Momo's and they still make momo's. The MM's are the set below their $700 components.

·
Registered
679 Posts

Pricey speakers......

The MM's came out recently. These are not Momo's and they still make momo's. The MM's are the set below their $700 components.

If you do sound deadening and dampening (search online to find out the differences) I would choose raamat. Dynacrap is wayyy overpriced.

·
Registered
615 Posts

If you do sound deadening and dampening (search online to find out the differences) I would choose raamat. Dynacrap is wayyy overpriced.
Nope.... they don't call it momo anymore cause the company MOMO dropped their sponsorship so instead of recreating a new line the just named it MM so people who are familier with the product line knows it its the same thing. If they are selling momo stuff its cause they are blowing through closeout stuff. Same stuff different branding again i have the crossovers to prove it and i sell their product line.

also the MM's got released in 2007

1 - 17 of 17 Posts