Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this mentioned on the FB page, and I'm wondering... Has anyone worked out how to update the OEM transmission to a 6-speed auto? It would seem to be a really interesting upgrade, if it's doable.

·
11 second street truck
10,535 Posts
The 6r80 swap has been done. With stock rear gears very little is gained. But with a 3.23 rear end there are some good gains..

·
11 second street truck
10,535 Posts

Reactions: 02 H/D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would imagine the gain being in drivability. There is a huge drop between 3rd and 4th gears; in the 40-60 mph range you have to either keep 4th locked out, or deal with the huge drop in rpms, especially at lower speeds, between those two gears. Having another gear here and there would make the L so much more pleasant to drive.

·
11 second street truck
10,535 Posts
I would imagine the gain being in drivability. There is a huge drop between 3rd and 4th gears; in the 40-60 mph range you have to either keep 4th locked out, or deal with the huge drop in rpms, especially at lower speeds, between those two gears. Having another gear here and there would make the L so much more pleasant to drive.
The gears aren't that much different in the 6r. 1 extra od and a really short first gear.
4.17, 2.34, 1.52, 1.14, 0.87, and 0.69:1
2.71, 1.54, 1:1, .71

The real benefit being the 2-3 shift on the lightning vs 3-4 shift on the 6r

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,227 Posts
I turn the OD off on my truck as soon as it's running. Don't turn it on unless hitting a highway or turnpike. I don't miss the extra gears at all. Have a five speed in my Mustang, I still turn the OD off as soon as it's running.

·
11 second street truck
10,535 Posts
I turn the OD off on my truck as soon as it's running. Don't turn it on unless hitting a highway or turnpike. I don't miss the extra gears at all. Have a five speed in my Mustang, I still turn the OD off as soon as it's running.
Some of us don't like spinning the motor for no reason and drive the highway a lot. 75mph is a lot of rpms.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,227 Posts
I turn the OD on when on the highway. Didn't you read the whole post. It's only off for in town and city driving. Mostly 35 to 45 mph speed limits where I live. If I hit a 50 mph zone and will be on it for a distance, OD on. It's just, most of the time, it's simply not needed here. I don't do a lot of highway and turnpike driving. Very rarely.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I say source out a 10R80. Then go with the least aggressive rear gear for a 9.75". Your highway driving will be 3x better. The 4R100 1st gear is too tall, and it's too quick to shift out of 1st particular when making a left turn and that kills to power until you van build some RPM's. These newer transmissions are so much more willing to downshift than your old 4 speeds.

I heard people say the 6R80 and 10R80 are geared to aggressive for our trucks powerband, but I don't see TVS/Whipple/KB Coyote and F150 guys complaining even with 3.55's or 3.73's.

Reactions: Ken Mitchell

·
AntiSocial
17 X3 35i, 18 Equinox LT 2.0T
822 Posts
I heard people say the 6R80 and 10R80 are geared to aggressive for our trucks powerband, but I don't see TVS/Whipple/KB Coyote and F150 guys complaining even with 3.55's or 3.73's.
The Coyote and EcoBoost like to rev. They can handle more gear. The Lightning doesn't. Not at all. It revs like a diesel. You need to keep the rpms down and in the mid range.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
That's why I would go with a conservative rear gear. If I'm not mistaken a 6R80 and 10R80 use like a .62 or .65 final overdrive as opposed to the .71 overdrive gear in the 4R100. The 4R100 was meant to be used on a 7.3L PSD and it's gearing is far from optimal for even a long stroke 2V torquer like a L's motor. It was used because it's what John Coletti had available to use in the late 90's that would handle 360 HP/440 lb-ft and not be a warranty nightmare for Ford. If the modern transmissions where available 20+ years ago then the L would have gotten one. The 4R100 is one of my least favorite things about the L. IMO it really hold back the trucks potential

BTW Ecoboost is far from an RPM motor. If I remember correctly it's peak power happens around 5,000 RPM and it redlines at 6,000 RPM's.?.?.?

Reactions: Ken Mitchell

·
11 second street truck
10,535 Posts
I say source out a 10R80. Then go with the least aggressive rear gear for a 9.75". Your highway driving will be 3x better. The 4R100 1st gear is too tall, and it's too quick to shift out of 1st particular when making a left turn and that kills to power until you van build some RPM's. These newer transmissions are so much more willing to downshift than your old 4 speeds.

10r80s are struggling to live at big power. Add the weight of a truck and it gets worse

·
11 second street truck
10,535 Posts
I turn the OD on when on the highway. Didn't you read the whole post. It's only off for in town and city driving. Mostly 35 to 45 mph speed limits where I live. If I hit a 50 mph zone and will be on it for a distance, OD on. It's just, most of the time, it's simply not needed here. I don't do a lot of highway and turnpike driving. Very rarely.
See it's the other way here. I'm very rarely under 55

·
11 second street truck
10,535 Posts
That's why I would go with a conservative rear gear. If I'm not mistaken a 6R80 and 10R80 use like a .62 or .65 final overdrive as opposed to the .71 overdrive gear in the 4R100. The 4R100 was meant to be used on a 7.3L PSD and it's gearing is far from optimal for even a long stroke 2V torquer like a L's motor. It was used because it's what John Coletti had available to use in the late 90's that would handle 360 HP/440 lb-ft and not be a warranty nightmare for Ford. If the modern transmissions where available 20+ years ago then the L would have gotten one. The 4R100 is one of my least favorite things about the L. IMO it really hold back the trucks potential

BTW Ecoboost is far from an RPM motor. If I remember correctly it's peak power happens around 5,000 RPM and it redlines at 6,000 RPM's.?.?.?
The od on the 6r and 4r are almost identical. I posted them

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
10r80s are struggling to live at big power. Add the weight of a truck and it gets worse
I've heard that the 6 speeds are better for modding high HP with, but high HP with a 5.4L 2V is pretty tame by Coyote standards. (Even though we do make impressive torque when modded) Other than that the 10 speed is supposed to be a much better tranny.

One of the issues is Ford doesn't put it in a higher performance vehicle than Mustang GT. (And Raptor I believe) GM for example has a 10L80E in the LT1/SS cars, Silverado and new Tahoe/Suburban, etc, but for the ZL1 it uses the 10L90E which is rated to handle more torque, it shifts quicker, it can downshift more gears at once, etc compared to the 10L80E/10R80. I don't think too many ZL1 owners have had serious problems with it. Ford should build a variety of it and call it a 10R90. It's based on the same design, so Ford could legally use it or a close varient to it.

The od on the 6r and 4r are almost identical. I posted them
That's crappy. The 10 speed has a bit better 10th gear IMO. Still the more aggressive gearing will allow for a shorter rear gear as you have already said, and that would equal it being a better highway cruiser.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of the information that you guys have shared. It sounds like the ultimate transmission for the L hasn't been invented yet. Maybe we aren't too far out. Again, I think there is a lot of improvement yet to be tapped into on these vehicles, and from what people have said, the transmission is one of the main areas for improvement.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts